Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&C/Red Alert Remastered

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only got my first play there this morning, with Tib Dawn and it's easy to forget how crude that very first game was. As mentioned there's no attack move, but other little things like rally points from buildings & other little things. Still such a fun time

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

32gigs, wow! was looking at the source code, c++ I'm guessing?

Was an 18GB download.

Did it unpack to 32GB?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

noodler wrote: »
    Was an 18GB download.

Did it unpack to 32GB?

Oh I was just looking at the steam page and it say 32gigs

Oh I was just looking at the steam page and it say 32gigs

My first steam download ever so I was rightly pissed on Friday night to see it have to unpack for almost an hour after preloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I keep messing up left and right click!

God I missed frying troops with a Tesla Coil.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

I keep messing up left and right click!

God I missed frying troops with a Tesla Coil.

My pet peeve as I approach the end of the NOD campaign is trying to click attack on a moving enemy target. The troops invariably end up moving instead to the ground where the enemy unit was.

Also, your units regularly do not react to an enemy presence. But that works both ways, you can sneak into the side of a base (destruction of defence structures doesn't seem to get a reaction) and capture every building and the other units in the base don't react...BUT if you attack a harvester...oh by jaysu the whole enemy base empties after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have a made a gap for tanks & troops to go through. One man goes through. The tank behind decides to go around THE ENTIRE MAP to get to the other side, as the man is taking a second too long. Grrr. Can't depend on troops to go from A to B, without going via Timbuktu alerting the enemy of my sneak attack.
    noodler wrote: »
    Also, your units regularly do not react to an enemy presence.
    And this. 10 rocketeers ignore the tank 3 squares away that are attacking my base.

=-=

Are my troops dumb as I'm on the hard difficulty level?

the_syco wrote: »
    I have a made a gap for tanks & troops to go through. One man goes through. The tank behind decides to go around THE ENTIRE MAP to get to the other side, as the man is taking a second too long. Grrr. Can't depend on troops to go from A to B, without going via Timbuktu alerting the enemy of my sneak attack.

And this. 10 rocketeers ignore the tank 3 squares away that are attacking my base.

=-=

I just spent three hours on the last nod campaign mission.

It was torture!

Now, does anyone remember which is next in order of hardness? The covert ops expansion or the console missions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had a quick go last night. RTS games have come a hell of a long way since C&C. The lack of move attack is pretty annoying as is the enemy AI.

And yet despite how far RTS games have come it's still a heap of fun. And even the cheesy dated cutscenes and CGI kind of work as the whole game has a cohesive style. Well worth the money I put down on it.

The cheating computer is a bit annoying in the single player. I destroyed their harvesters yet they're still pumping out units. Classic old style difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

=-=

I wonder if I'm seeing things but I'm almost sure that when I command a group of different units to attack something occasionally only some of them abide...maybe I'm cracking up (RA)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The cheating computer is a bit annoying in the single player. I destroyed their harvesters yet they're still pumping out units. Classic old style difficulty.

Yeah you just have to deal with it. They constantly get funds even if they aren't harvesting and can repair and build constantly as long as the construction yard is standing. You can block their harvester and then keep taking over and selling their silos and the silos will still fill up despite no funds coming in.

The enemy harvest is probably the games most vicious foe. Attack it and the entire base empties out in your direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Oh there is nothing I hate more than having an army of troops marching to a base, opening fire, only to have their god-damn harvester just come pardon-me-miss-ing through my guys like they were nothing, running half of them over.

Frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone running this on a laptop, my gaming PC is currently being used by the wife as a work PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup, installed it on a laptop (mid-range Lenovo about 5-6 years old) and it plays fine. It's C&C from the late 90s, with a veneer of high res graphics, it should run on most machines, even ostensibly non-gaming ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yup, installed it on a laptop (mid-range Lenovo about 5-6 years old) and it plays fine. It's C&C from the late 90s, with a veneer of high res graphics, it should run on most machines, even ostensibly non-gaming ones.

As I've said. I have no issues playing it on my 10yo i7 rig. Minimum requirements are for a Core 2 Duo with 4gb of ram and a 11 yo Radeon/Geforce. No one with a current system, even with integrated graphics should have a problem playing this.

Sadly, they'll need DirectX 11. Which means that your laptop can't be too old.

DXCPL may allow you to run it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sadly, they'll need DirectX 11. Which means that your laptop can't be too old.

DXCPL may allow you to run it, though.

Think you're underestimating how old DirectX 11 is, first dedicated card was 2009.

BTW, anyone wanting to take a look and generally curious, the Remastered source code is here:

https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection

BTW, anyone wanting to take a look and generally curious, the Remastered source code is here:

https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection

Just jumping around but that's seriously well annotated.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Think you're underestimating how old DirectX 11 is, first dedicated card was 2009.
    Hah, yes. Have had to support some (mates) machines bought in 2013 with DX10 integrated cards.

Hah, yes. Have had to support some (mates) machines bought in 2013 with DX10 integrated cards.

I can believe it.

Can't remember if it was Game (the shop), but I remember around then seeing the same GPU box on sale on Dawson street for years and above what it honestly should cost even when new.

Found the Nod troops in C&C move better than the Allied troops in RA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really loving this. I still think OpenRA is the superior game for multiplayer, but the absolute huge wealth of content for single player in this is amazing, putting aside the remastered visuals.

I'm just playing the GDI campaign and after about 5 hours I'm only half way through it, and there's still the Nod campaign, as well as the Covert Ops and other add-on missions as well....let alone Red Alert having dual campaigns and add-on missions as well.

EA did well here. Best €18 I've spent on a game in a long time.

Just starting my first game of it now..

It's pretty awesome..

The GDI commando mission is still a load of ball bags.

Ok I'm rolling back on my 'Pretty Awesome' exclamation of a while ago..playing it on a laptop on the touchpad is a pain in the hole..I'll have a look again tomorrow..

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The GDI commando mission is still a load of ball bags.

The one where you have the Chinook and have to see out a building unknown?

Ok I'm rolling back on my 'Pretty Awesome' exclamation of a while ago..playing it on a laptop on the touchpad is a pain in the hole..I'll have a look again tomorrow..

Ah, surely that's your own fault.

I wouldn't even try without a mouse

• Advertisement

Gaming with a laptop touchpad? :confused:

Nooooo no no no no. Would you g'away with that silliness.

Advertisement