Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&C/Red Alert Remastered

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    The one where you have the Chinook and have to see out a building unknown?

Yes. It's a pile of poo. If destroyed buildings didn't spawn enemies it would be fine but since they do you are at the mercy of RNGesus. They fixed that in Red Alerts Tanya missions thank god.

Seems only way to beat it legit is to rush the target building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yes. It's a pile of poo. If destroyed buildings didn't spawn enemies it would be fine but since they do you are at the mercy of RNGesus. They fixed that in Red Alerts Tanya missions thank god.

Seems only way to beat it legit is to rush the target building.

I just used the Commando to draw out all of the enemies, ran down to the Chinook with a red health bar, flew into the base and job done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Homelander wrote: »
    I just used the Commando to draw out all of the enemies, ran down to the Chinook with a red health bar, flew into the base and job done.

Yeah seems like the only way to do it. It's not really clear you only have to blow up one building.

I'll be doing that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

That part bothered me as well - I had no idea what I was supposed to be destroying but literally the first building I blew up (think it was the Hand of Nod barracks?) and Mission Accomplished. Fluke really, even a couple of infantry would've killed me at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah seems like the only way to do it. It's not really clear you only have to blow up one building.

I'll be doing that tonight.

Yeah so I look d this up the other day

If you destroy the airfield then mission won and you skip the next mission.

Any other building and then you win but have to go back to the map, build a base and wipe out everything.

Strategy above is right btw

The base empties so I flew commando and Chinook to a cliff at left middle ish edge of map (so they all had to take the long way around). When nearly upon me I flew back to base entrance and ran in.

The damage you take from Killing the SAMs is a pain (I'm always ready to click away from the building the second it flashes white pre-explosion). Did on hard but was difficult to kill three Sam's and not be in the smalliof red health.

Cheese by saving often.

I just cheeses a later GDI mission ((Delphi) with sandbag walls to keep out enemies (the AI won't destroy them). Had no other option, the mission was borderline impossible without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If there's an enemy base, and I've engineers, I'm capturing some of that base! Always fun when I replay the map later on; I has two bases, and a better tech tree :D

the_syco wrote: »
    If there's an enemy base, and I've engineers, I'm capturing some of that base! Always fun when I replay the map later on; I has two bases, and a better tech tree :D

It's literally the only way to stop them on hard.

You can wipe out a base and they will rebuild it (even if there are are no adjacent buildings) the second you move your units out of the building space.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

I can't get this game to load, it just gets stuck on a black screen with an eternal loading symbol.

I've uninstalled & reinstalled the game in steam; uninstalled/reinstalled steam; tried running steam as an administrator; shut down all other programs running at the same time; updated the pc - nothing I do can make it work. Been at it for a few evenings now, and it's getting annoying.

It's a decent spec PC - Windows 10 64-bit, Core i7-8700, SSD hard drive, Intel graphics 630 & Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb, 16gb ram. Running McAfee Live safe, but I've no idea how to stop McAfee blocking steam, if that's the problem.

I'm not much of a techie, so does anyone have any suggestions?

The alternative stage 8 is annoying. Having to save the villagers. They keep walking into the tiberium fields and dying. Didn't realise you had to build sandbags to keep them out and you could build sandbags from the hospital

The alternative stage 8 is annoying. Having to save the villagers. They keep walking into the tiberium fields and dying. Didn't realise you had to build sandbags to keep them out and you could build sandbags from the hospital

I built a refinery beside the lab/hospital and put all my harvesters down there so they'd East all the tiberium.

Sandbag the tiberium root beside the lab/hospital to stop it regrowing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I love this game, its a fantastic remaster but dear god the AI. I get the desire to maintain some facets contemporary but watching units doddle everywhere but where you want them - or just idling while enemies attack others - is teeth grinding.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I love this game, its a fantastic remaster but dear god the AI. I get the desire to maintain some facets contemporary but watching units doddle everywhere but where you want them - or just idling while enemies attack others - is teeth grinding.

Hard mode is my biggest gripe.

I do the entire GDI campaign on hard and it nearly killed me. Your units finless damage, theirs do more.

Light tank beats medium tank etc. It breaks the fundamental mechanics of the game and is so lazy.

I had to switch to normal on the covert ops.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Hard mode is my biggest gripe.

I do the entire GDI campaign on hard and it nearly killed me. Your units finless damage, theirs do more.

Light tank beats medium tank etc. It breaks the fundamental mechanics of the game and is so lazy.

I had to switch to normal on the covert ops.

The original Command and Conquer did not have a hard mode. They added it in this remaster for some reason. Believe they just copied the difficulty adjustments from Red Alert, so your rate of fire is decreased by 20%, while the enemy A.I is increased 20% in addition to the enemy doing more damage and having more health.

I always play on the hardest difficulty that's unlocked by default in games but I had to turn this to normal. Dark Souls and X-Com have nothing on this remastered hard mode!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, I'm close to giving up. Forgotten how hardcore, ass kicking these old games could be but the awful pathfinding feels like the game is cheating against me rather than being tough-but-fair.

I see at least one mod that changes the pathfinding, to the more industry standard of A* so maybe that'll help. As it stands I've had more than one rageout. Love the remaster to bite bit yeah it's a tough one to love all the same

Man, I'm close to giving up. Forgotten how hardcore, ass kicking these old games could be but the awful pathfinding feels like the game is cheating against me rather than being tough-but-fair.

I see at least one mod that changes the pathfinding, to the more industry standard of A* so maybe that'll help. As it stands I've had more than one rageout. Love the remaster to bite bit yeah it's a tough one to love all the same

You basically have to cheese most levels. A APC of engineers is a good one. And your first attack needs to take out the construction yard or you might as well have not bothered.

You basically have to cheese most levels. A APC of engineers is a good one. And your first attack needs to take out the construction yard or you might as well have not bothered.

I dunno, some Soviet bases make it impossible to brute force your way through the entrance. And that's assuming the APC doesn't decide to take the scenic path along the coast while the tanks get smashed by Teslas... OpenRA had spoiled me.

I'm only playing the GDI missions in the original at the moment and on the last 2 or 3. The difficulty has ramped up considerably. Not touched Red Alert but I remember I finished the original game and gave up on Red Alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

wowy wrote: »
    I can't get this game to load, it just gets stuck on a black screen with an eternal loading symbol.

I've uninstalled & reinstalled the game in steam; uninstalled/reinstalled steam; tried running steam as an administrator; shut down all other programs running at the same time; updated the pc - nothing I do can make it work. Been at it for a few evenings now, and it's getting annoying.

It's a decent spec PC - Windows 10 64-bit, Core i7-8700, SSD hard drive, Intel graphics 630 & Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb, 16gb ram. Running McAfee Live safe, but I've no idea how to stop McAfee blocking steam, if that's the problem.

I'm not much of a techie, so does anyone have any suggestions?

You say you updated the PC , but did you specifically update the graphic card drivers ?

I'm only playing the GDI missions in the original at the moment and on the last 2 or 3. The difficulty has ramped up considerably. Not touched Red Alert but I remember I finished the original game and gave up on Red Alert!

I think Tiberian Dawn's mission structure is simpler. Build base kill all enemy, you can tell it's the older game. Red Alert tries for more dynamic ones, even has some scripting for events and the like. But the pathfinding means the added complexity makes it harder to get a bead on things.

Also, preserving the friendly fire, with the grenadiers killing half your blob, is infuriating lol

• Advertisement

I played them to death in the past so this was a flash in the pan for me. I must have beaten all the campaigns at least 10 times already. My reservations basically came true (simple graphics update, nothing else) but I am happy to support it for the sake of future RTS games. Multiplayer was a bit of fun but the lack of QoL features meant it was too frustrating to stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'd kill for an attack move order that prioritises specific enemies (ie, grenadiers/flamethrowers against infantry, rocket infantry against tanks, tanks against tanks, etc). The micro combined with having to stop each time to give attack orders is a real mood killer.

I'd kill for an attack move order that prioritises specific enemies (ie, grenadiers/flamethrowers against infantry, rocket infantry against tanks, tanks against tanks, etc). The micro combined with having to stop each time to give attack orders is a real mood killer.

'G' is Guard Mode, which I think puts halted units to respond to proximity enemies. So that's something at least. The Devs were quite honest about gameplay and made the public decision early on not to tinker too much with the core gameplay. On playing I think this was the wrong decision. Just for comparison I fired up OpenRA to contrast and just feels fairer and easier to macro without sweating the micro too much.

'G' is Guard Mode, which I think puts halted units to respond to proximity enemies. So that's something at least. The Devs were quite honest about gameplay and made the public decision early on not to tinker too much with the core gameplay. On playing I think this was the wrong decision. Just for comparison I fired up OpenRA to contrast and just feels fairer and easier to macro without sweating the micro too much.

If you are playing on normal I think it's fine.

But I've banged my head against the wall being OCD to get those gold badges.

The sandbag trick I've utilised more than once I'm afraid to admit

Struggling with the final GDI Mission on the north east route - I actually think the sandbag trick worked against me because when i did make a run at the enemy they had lads waiting around everywhere to attack the base, if i hadnt sandbagged fully they would of been a steady manageable trickle !

Struggling with the final GDI Mission on the north east route - I actually think the sandbag trick worked against me because when i did make a run at the enemy they had lads waiting around everywhere to attack the base, if i hadnt sandbagged fully they would of been a steady manageable trickle !

Can shoot over them at a range in that scenario.

Mammoths are still OP, even on hard tho, so use them

Can shoot over them at a range in that scenario.

Mammoths are still OP, even on hard tho, so use them

Yeah you can shoot over them alright to kill a few, they had stacked up units all around the map due to what i assume was a pathfinding quirk as there was no route into my base they froze.

Will take another run at it over the weekend.

FYI, the remastered soundtracks are now on Spotify for those that use it; also includes a playlist of new renditions from the original composer:

https://open.spotify.com/album/6diK51gAlxp4pbpmoe8Ahc?nd=1

https://open.spotify.com/album/0PVfiTe7jFoMIcKr4yvkEk?nd=1

https://open.spotify.com/album/1BdrAyFCmYxsu3aGzQwIt0?nd=1

FYI, the remastered soundtracks are now on Spotify for those that use it; also includes a playlist of new renditions from the original composer:

https://open.spotify.com/album/6diK51gAlxp4pbpmoe8Ahc?nd=1

https://open.spotify.com/album/0PVfiTe7jFoMIcKr4yvkEk?nd=1

https://open.spotify.com/album/1BdrAyFCmYxsu3aGzQwIt0?nd=1

They were really are worth price of admission alone for me.

• Advertisement

The newest video in the generally excellent "NoClip" series covers the remaster; worth a watch to get a sense of the story behind it:

Advertisement