Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift from parent towards a house - taxed?

Options
  • 14-11-2018 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

quick question

would i be taxed if i got a gift from a parent into my bank account that would go towards a house?

could i say i got a loan instead to avoid tax or does it even matter

its over 320k of a gift to get taxed right

mine nothing like that unfortunately a small fraction

any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Short answer: No.

Long answer: no, unless you've already exceeded the tax free threshold on gifts. Your parents can each gift you 3k a year tax free on top of the lifetime threshold.
    They might consider getting you an official cert from a solicitor or accountant that they gave you the money as a gift because banks will ask where the money came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

I think Revenue have determined that a parent giving money towards a house/Deposit is subject to Capital Acquisitions Tax (Gift tax). There is a lifetime limit of 320k covering all gifts/inheritances from that parent. So it is taxable, but you wont pay tax unless or until the total gifts/inheritances reach 320k.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Also worth noting that each parent can give you a tax free gift of €3k each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

what about an aunt or uncle??? is their limit 3k also does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mkdon wrote: »

€3k each per year as well, ie in addition. So mom dad aunt and uncle can give 12k tax free between them.

By the way if you plan on buying with a partner they can all make a similar tax free donation to the partner effectively doubling the amount you can get if you do it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

3k limit for aunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

mkdon wrote: »

All the info is here - an Aunt or Uncle can give €32,500 tax free over a lifetime before it is CAT kicks in.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/capital_taxes/capital_acquisitions_tax.html

Anybody can give anybody 3k per year tax free before gift tax comes into the equation:
    The first €3,000 of the total value of all gifts received from any one person in any calendar year is exempt. So, you could receive a gift from several people in the same calendar year and the first €3,000 from each person is exempt from CAT. This exemption does not apply to inheritances.

Advertisement