Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Kilkenny City

• 14-11-2018 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, myself and my partner are thinking if buying an apartment in Kilkenny city. As we dont really know all the areas I am wondering can anybody tell me anything about the below area, such ad are they safe ,quiet etc.

The Arches, Barricks Road
    New Row Apartments _ across from the Black Abbey
    The Spires Dean st.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sandra246 wrote: »
    Hi, myself and my partner are thinking if buying an apartment in Kilkenny city. As we dont really know all the areas I am wondering can anybody tell me anything about the below area, such ad are they safe ,quiet etc.

The Arches, Barricks Road
    New Row Apartments _ across from the Black Abbey
    The Spires Dean st.

Thanks in advance

I lived in the Arches. Wouldn't live there again- had one very noisy anti social neighbour- too many spongers living there for nothing mixed in with decent tenants trying to pay their way. Fair bit of anti social behavour in my experience.
    It's a pity as they could be lovely but the building was pretty poorly maintained. Despite only being ten years old they felt way older. Issues with the electric gates were constant for example. I wouldn't buy there unless expressly vetting what was goign to be next door and upstairs from me.
    The others i can't say but the Dean st ones seem pretty decent always. New row less so I'd think.

Also depends where you will be working and if you need car parking. Saying all tht about the Arches it's a great location close to train station etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Sandra246

Oh thanks so much and thanks for your honest answer. Myself and my partner both had apartments in Dublin and they went to s**t within two years with all those issues you mentioned above. Dont know how we even sold it.

Just a pitty people cant behave themselves. It was in our price range thats the only reason I would have considered it.oh, jes, I feel sick even thinking of making the same mistake again.

There must be somebody looking down on us because I arranged a viewing for Tuesday and she rang me back asking would Monday suit as there was a high demand for this property and she was trying to slot everybody in.lol.
    I just have to figure out thr other two places now.
    Thanks

Oh thanks so much and thanks for your honest answer. Myself and my partner both had apartments in Dublin and they went to s**t within two years with all those issues you mentioned above. Dont know how we even sold it.

Just a pitty people cant behave themselves. It was in our price range thats the only reason I would have considered it.oh, jes, I feel sick even thinking of making the same mistake again.

There must be somebody looking down on us because I arranged a viewing for Tuesday and she rang me back asking would Monday suit as there was a high demand for this property and she was trying to slot everybody in.lol.
    I just have to figure out thr other two places now.
    Thanks

The Arches is not the worst place and it had improved as I was moving out but you'd need your eyes wide open i think to purchase there- and don't get stuck beside a neighbour like i did. Management company were pretty useless.
    They are of reasonable quality build (just poorly maintained). Possibly compared to parts of Dublin the behaviour of that one neighbour was probably fairly tame. For the prices i can imagine the demand is high alright.
    Apartments wise MacDonagh Junction or Johns Court are better i think. Some other options around town but possibly more expensive.

Hi thanks again,

The one on st johns road has gone sale agreed, so we are thinking of viewing the apartment on old row road,looks a bit isolated and could be run down ,seems to be down a lane so not sure ?, jes, the prises are nearly as expensive as Dublin.
    So if anyone has an opinion on that area much appreciate it.

Hi thanks again,

The one on st johns road has gone sale agreed, so we are thinking of viewing the apartment on old row road,looks a bit isolated and could be run down ,seems to be down a lane so not sure ?, jes, the prises are nearly as expensive as Dublin.
    So if anyone has an opinion on that area much appreciate it.

Yes Kilkenny is not significantly cheaper than Dublin at all- there’s a far bigger choice at the entry level in Dublin if you’re not picky with areas.
    No idea of that area really.
    Was the Johns road one in Lakeside? That’s a pretty decent estate, well managed.

• Advertisement

Sorry, it was the Spires on Dean Street, dont know where I got Johns road from, the Spires got an offer of 152,000 started at 142,000, New Road was at 100,000 and an offer of 105,000 now.

Sorry, it was the Spires on Dean Street, dont know where I got Johns road from, the Spires got an offer of 152,000 started at 142,000, New Road was at 100,000 and an offer of 105,000 now.

You’d be lucky if the offers stopped at that. Lot of them go considerably above initial asking price

Advertisement