Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steaming Christmas pudding in the oven

• 14-11-2018 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I’ve four Christmas puddings to make this year 2 large, 2 small

On other Froums I was reading about how to steam them in the oven. So I thought I’d give it a go and hopefully cut down on steam in the kitchen. I’m thinking I could do all four at once

However, I’m using those plastic pots with lids on them and when I examined the base it said, not for oven use the message seems quite clear. I was wondering though as the pots will be in what is effectively a steam bath would that warning still apply?

Would be delighted to hear of any experiences you’ve had in this area

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Never done it myself but friend steams hers in her Rayburn, using the plastic bowl ,
    have a quick google search, and found this
    https://www.odlums.ie/recipes/plum-pudding-3/
    says near the end about steaming in oven. ref bowls, I would have thought they would be ok in waterbath, but open to correction, some more know knowledgeable boardies may be able to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

I've steamed 3 little ones (0.6 litre pudding bowls) in plastic bowls this year, and it worked really well.

I got the plastic bowls with the lids from my mother, so there was no label on them or anything, they are probably ancient!

Greaseproof paper inside, to cover the top of the pudding itself, then tinfoil outside covering the lid of the pudding bowl. You could use an elastic band or twine to secure, but I didn't.

I have a large stock pot type thing, and I put a small plate upside down into the base which I sit the pudding bowl on top of.

Then, I poured in hot water to just coming over the plate, but not touching the plastic bowl. Into a low oven, 130 degrees Celsius, for 6 hours.

I did them individually, and all 3 came out perfect. Will steam again on the day before eating. But I am bringing them to my Mam's and she has a pressure cooker, so not sure exactly how long we will cook them for on the day. Without the pressure cooker, I would maybe steam again for another hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,080 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

cbmonstra wrote: »
    I've steamed 3 little ones (0.6 litre pudding bowls) in plastic bowls this year, and it worked really well.

I got the plastic bowls with the lids from my mother, so there was no label on them or anything, they are probably ancient!

Greaseproof paper inside, to cover the top of the pudding itself, then tinfoil outside covering the lid of the pudding bowl. You could use an elastic band or twine to secure, but I didn't.

I have a large stock pot type thing, and I put a small plate upside down into the base which I sit the pudding bowl on top of.

Then, I poured in hot water to just coming over the plate, but not touching the plastic bowl. Into a low oven, 130 degrees Celsius, for 6 hours.

I did them individually, and all 3 came out perfect. Will steam again on the day before eating. But I am bringing them to my Mam's and she has a pressure cooker, so not sure exactly how long we will cook them for on the day. Without the pressure cooker, I would maybe steam again for another hour.

Just warm them through in the microwave, no need to steam again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I do them in plastic bowls in oven and my mother always did the same without issue.
    Used a water bath on low for 5 or 6 hours, also done them on stove top same method. Large stock pot and upside dow plate to rest pudding bowl on.
    As for reheating them I use microwave with a small ramekin filled with water in with the pudding to keep it moist.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

Just warm them through in the microwave, no need to steam again.

We steam again. That's just how we do it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,080 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

cbmonstra wrote: »
    We steam again. That's just how we do it :)

It was how our family always did it too - until microwaves were available to us.
    There really is no value to steaming them again - it doesn't improve the pudding in any way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mother used to do them in the pressure cooker, needed a bit of vigilance. Slow cooker now, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I did it often in an oven, using plastic bowls too: I just sank the whole (covered) bowl in my very largest saucepan.
    This way:
    A very large saucepan with lid: put an upturned saucer in the bottom to be a little stand for your pudding. This is so the plastic won't touch the hot sides. Half fill with boiling water.
    Your pudding mixture in the bowl and tightly sealed and tied down: place into pot on top of saucer: pour boiling water around but it mustn't come to the top, of course. You don't want it boiling in and wetting your Pudd!
    Put lid on saucepan and seal it as best you can with a crumpled strip of foil between rim and lid.
    Place the whole contraption into hot oven, and wait around until you are sure that you can hear a gentle knocking as of boiling, coming from the oven: then turn the heat down a bit and leave it for "hours on end", checking from time to time that you can still hear a soft simmering.
    This does NOT fill your kitchen with steam, and needs little attention - it doesn't boil dry - check halfway through, though, just in case it needs topping up.
    Most reliable method!

PS Ah, I see that @cbmonstra got there ahead of me with an identical method!

Advertisement