Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making the move from Big 4 to industry!

• 14-11-2018 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My training contract is finishing in April and I’m considering a move from big 4 to industry. Does anyone have any advice on trying to find a company/job that is the right fit? I know leaving a professional services firm and going working for the client are very different so don’t want to make a big firm ill informed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Ah there's loads of jobs out there at your level. You need to have a think about what areas of industry you'd like to get into (funds, tech, banks, insurance etc) and the type of company you want to go into (SME, Large, Irish, foreign owned) etc. Also aware of recruiters pushing you into a job your not happy with. A lot just want to get you placed so they can earn their commission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Ah there's loads of jobs out there at your level. You need to have a think about what areas of industry you'd like to get into (funds, tech, banks, insurance etc) and the type of company you want to go into (SME, Large, Irish, foreign owned) etc. Also aware of recruiters pushing you into a job your not happy with. A lot just want to get you placed so they can earn their commission.

Yeah, huge number of jobs for newly qualifieds out there. Decide what you are interested in before you let the vultures *cough* I mean the recruiters at you. Stick to your guns, and say no if it is not right.

I believe you are at a point when your choice can make your later career path easy or hard.

If you go into financial services (and there are loads of jobs there at the moment with brexit) you might find it a bit harder to switch into industry in a few years time and vice versa. This also applies between different areas within industry, think software development vs. retail - the risks and focus of the accounting is very different.

I feel the same applies to size of employer. A really large multinational doesn't always want someone who spent the first 3 years PQE in a small company and vice versa, as the controls, systems, structures, etc. are all hugely different so the experience is less relevant

Not everyone knows what they want, and it is possible to change later, but if you know what area you want to work in long term, no harm in trying to get in there now.

You can also use glassdoor to do a bit of research on prospective employers (but also take it with a pinch of salt and go with you gut after meeting people).

Advertisement