Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly won't get landlord reference

• 15-11-2018 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi. I got lucky and I am currently living in my first apartment. During my first year there I had a bit of a row with the letting agent about them just letting themselves in whether I'm there or not if work needs to be done. I just don't like people thinking they have the run of people's homes.

Anyway because of this I'm thinking they may not want to give me a reference when the time comes when they can legally get me to leave. You get 6 years I've been there nearly 2. Since it's my first flat I will need a landlord reference whether it's from them or someone else. Is there anything I could get legal or otherwise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭DubCount

I dont know of any legal requirement for a LL or agent to issue a reference. So I guess that its always a risk whether you have a row with them or not. I'm not sure most agents would refuse a reference just on the basis of what you posted, especially if a period of time elapses between the row and when a reference is requested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

There's nothing obligating them to give you a reference. Many reasonable landlords will give one, though, especially if they want a current tenant out; sabotaging their current tenant's chances of finding a new place and leaving them with the choice between becoming homeless or overholding is just plain stupid. (Of course, that doesn't stop it from happening sometimes...) If I were you I'd try skipping the agent and going straight to the landlord when the time comes, too; no reason you couldn't contact them for that.

As for the agency letting themselves in unannounced without permission, that's absolutely not reasonable or legal unless there's a true emergency (e.g. flooding or fire or some other situation that must be addressed immediately to protect life or property). They need to arrange access for maintenance and repairs with you beforehand. As a letting agency they ought to know this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

when the time comes when they can legally get me to leave. You get 6 years I've been there nearly 2

while technically correct (end of part iv period) ive not seen it written in such stark terms before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I think the OP is worrying about a problem that might not exist for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Never had references from landlords , renting here for more than 30 years
    I used ESB bills and the rent books from al of the rented property s as proof
    Shortest time I ever lived in a rented property was 3 year
    Showing them the rent books and ESB bills that everything was paid on time and sometimes I did show a new landlord the house where I did live at that moment
    It was almost every time I had to move a yes of the new landlord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Only in the last couple of years have landlords been 100% checking references.
    Because the risk of getting it wrong has gone through the roof.
    I would not put any stock in a reference from a current landlord and would be more interested in actually calling and speaking to their previous landlords before their current one.
    I never gave out a written reference. Just a letter saying that the person was a tenant for x years at my property and here is my phone number if you wish to talk to me.

Advertisement