Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

...Elton John Lewis Christmas Ad 2018...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I like it.
    For me, the idea of an aging/aged famous musician, thinking back over his career to getting his first piano at Christmas is about as Christmassy as it gets.

There. I said it.
    And its a beautiful song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like Elton but the advert was meh

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Zorya wrote: »
    Awww I thought it was lovely. He has a great voice.
    Did think, hang on a sec - a piano for a Christmas present! That's a bit steep.

(But having read SafeSurfer's analysis I fear I may be a pushover for embedded Illuminati programming :( )

Pianos were ten a penny when Elton was a child in the 1920's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

AdrianLM wrote: »
    Correction, Elton John did not write this, Elton John only wrote 1 song which was ever performed by himself and it was terrible. Bernie Taupin is the talent behind Elton John and has only gotten the recognition in more recent years.

Elton wrote and performed the music, Taupin wrote the lyrics. Elton composed all his music, in much the same way Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber worked. Therefore, 'Your Song' was written by both men in the same way 'Jesus Christ Superstar' was written by both men.

Anyway, I love me a bit of Elton and that ad gave me little tingles. Reminds me a bit of the video for his song 'This Train Don't Stop Here Any More' which features Justin Timberlake playing a young Elton (and looking remarkably similar!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Elton wrote and performed the music, Taupin wrote the lyrics. Elton composed all his music, in much the same way Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber worked. Therefore, 'Your Song' was written by both men in the same way 'Jesus Christ Superstar' was written by both men.

Anyway, I love me a bit of Elton and that ad gave me little tingles. Reminds me a bit of the video for his song 'This Train Don't Stop Here Any More' which features Justin Timberlake playing a young Elton (and looking remarkably similar!)

Here is said video. Based on this JT would have been a good choice to play Elton in the forthcoming biographical film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsuHAn54wPs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

murpho999 wrote: »
    Elton John is an untalented over rated one hit wonder.
    We obviously disagree on the meaning of "one hit wonder".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Here is said video. Based on this JT would have been a good choice to play Elton in the forthcoming biographical film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsuHAn54wPs

Such an underrated song! Great video too.

I agree, Justin looks uncanny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I liked that.

Not a lot.

But I liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Pelvis wrote: »
    We obviously disagree on the meaning of "one hit wonder".

He’s an underrated ten hit wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Loved it.

Got the message over of what giving the right gift can bring, without the cringey over sentimentality of the likes of the boots ad.

Understated and very powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Great ad ... and I have been telling everybody this is my song and I think he hits the nail on the head and agree when he says how wonderful life is, while i'm in the world ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I just can't abide this xmas nonsense. Grown ups talking about the quality of a effin TV add. For forks sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

....... wrote: »
    Wasnt he estranged from his mother for years?

He was, although this was heavily influenced by the creepy David Furnish.

Elton at this point in time is a fairly harmless old queen.
    Unfortunately for most of his adult life, he had more money than sense and surrounded himself with yes men who's only concern was staying on the payroll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

AllForIt wrote: »
    I just can't abide this xmas nonsense. Grown ups talking about the quality of a effin TV add. For forks sake.

You must be a member of this brigade.

bah_humbug-e1269152112652.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I pity all the parents whose little brats want a big piano for Christmas now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

AllForIt wrote: »

And others decrying that discussion, in the very discussion thread ...

Pure boards

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

nothing will beat the bear in cave ad . waking up to Christmas and seeing the tree .the last few years john lewis has failed to top it ...... I like lidls kevin the carrot ad with the bad pascal the parsnip this year, its very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

First time seeing the ad, and it did nothing for me. I have no desire to watch it again.

whiskeyman wrote: »

especially if they want a virtual one from John Lewis store ....

• Advertisement

First time seeing the ad, and it did nothing for me. I have no desire to watch it again.

I've watched it about 2 or 3 times - love the song , always have . i am just dreading the day this Christmas when it comes on TV and the family are around if my eyes well up a bit - they will take the pee out of me big time ... I think I will have to leave the room when it comes on - say something like "I just remembered something I have to do... " :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I've watched it about 2 or 3 times - love the song , always have . i am just dreading the day this Christmas when it comes on TV and the family are around if my eyes well up a bit - they will take the pee out of me big time ... I think I will have to leave the room when it comes on - say something like "I just remembered something I have to do... " :D

Just tell them the sprouts have caused "a bit of a reaction"

Just tell them the sprouts have caused "a bit of a reaction"

well, sprouts normally cause another kind of reaction with me ... but yes i could try using that excuse

Rubbish.
    Usually love their ads, this is boring

bubblypop wrote: »
    Rubbish.
    Usually love their ads, this is boring

didnt pull on any heart strings? .. not even a little?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Murpho999 is gay for Elton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

And others decrying that discussion, in the very discussion thread ...

Pure boards
    Ah while i absolutely love Christmas and numerous Elton songs, I agree with their point. It's just an ad, to sell lots of stuff, in a store that's not even in this country - there is no "meaning" etc to be analysed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are we going to talk about the other Elton John ad ?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108641756&postcount=1933

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not sure I like it this year. Since the first John Lewis Xmas ad, one of the more interesting parts for me, was the Xmas Story, of either friendship/relationship, getting or waiting on that something special, and what the song would be, and sung by whom. This year, it's just Elton John, singing Elton John, it's still a good song though, and I am sure they will sell plenty of pianos as a result.

whiskeyman wrote: »

https://twitter.com/LidlUK/status/1063045136068808704

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

I liked it. Sentimental symmetry at the end with the two notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Don’t think a great deal of it myself.

It’s got nothing on the one with the lonely old man on the moon looking down at earth. That was really sad and delivered a really powerful message

I’m not sure if elton’s Ego needed to be indulged any more than it has been already with an advert that seems to make the Christmas message totally peripheral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I don't think it's ever in Irish TV is it?
    I'd say you're safe enough unless you're watching itv.

I don't think it's ever in Irish TV is it?
    I'd say you're safe enough unless you're watching itv.

watching re-runs of the chase on Challenge - I've a feeling it will pop up there

now thats what you call good marketing right there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Not as original as other years. Besides they used Your Song a few years back with the Ellie Goulding version let’s not forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

I liked it.
    I loved the swing back in time.
    Especially the old Top Of The Pops reincarnation, as the picture pans we see a glimpse of an EMI 2001 colour camera.

I know it's a bit geeky but there you go.

Not as original as other years. Besides they used Your Song a few years back with the Ellie Goulding version let’s not forget.

oh yeah your right, I thought it was Lily allen - but she sang only where we know the Keane song didnt she

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭howareyakid

oh yeah your right, I thought it was Lily allen - but she sang only where we know the Keane song didnt she

Yeah that was Lily Allen. I was (and still am) a big fan of that 2010 Ellie Goulding version of Your Song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

I wonder if the makers were familiar with the RSA 'don't look back' advert about the bereaved elderly mother and decided to put a more positive spin on that ads core idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Aegir wrote: »
    He's a legend. Absolutely brilliant in Kingsman 2 as well.

He did scene steal in that bad sequel, best thing about the film

The ad is just a promo for his biopic

Advertisement