Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another case of IBAN discrimination

• 15-11-2018 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Following on from this thread last year:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107407201

I've ended my relationship with AA (their renewal quote was insane). Liberty were the cheapest so I went to sign up for them and lo and behold, they're rejecting my non Irish IBAN the same way the AA were.

I told them upfront that I've had this battle before and won and it would be a lot easier for all of us if they fiddled a way to accept my IBAN now.

As I write, I've been on the phone for 40 minutes (mostly on hold). It looks like yet again, I'm going to need to set it up with my partner's Irish IBAN and go through the complaints process with the CCPC after I get their statement in writing.

Any tips for round two? Anybody else getting similar hassle?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Maybe just get an Irish IBAN and try not to get so worked up about things that in the grand scheme of things are pretty irrelevant? I realise they aren't following the rules, but spending hours of your life lodging complaints over it seems a bit mad. We all have a limited lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Maybe just get an Irish IBAN and try not to get so worked up about things that in the grand scheme of things are pretty irrelevant? I realise they aren't following the rules, but spending hours of your life lodging complaints over it seems a bit mad. We all have a limited lifetime.

I don't particularly want to get an Irish IBAN, pay fees on it and have to transfer an exact amount each month to it just for insurance premiums?

It doesn't take hours. I get the email from them, forward it to the CCPC and then inevitably win in a few months and get half of my premiums for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Well done Troyzer. Don't listen to the naysayers.

It is only for the actions of people like you that SEPA rules are better enforced and as a consequence it makes non-domestic current account offerings like N26 and Revolut more usable and popular.

Keep the pressure on Liberty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Please remember that they are well within their rights to refuse a non irish bank account for electronic mandate sign up.

Electronic mandate only works if this is an account in your name and a sole account. For anything else (including non-irish accounts) they require a written mandate. In fact they would not be able to use your partners IBAN because that would be a violation of the rules for paperless mandates.

Liberty (like others) rely on automatic processing during the sign up process which is not compatible with anything else than an electronic mandate, so you will always face challenges as long as the regulation requires a written instruction. That has nothing to do with Liberty, that is the regulation that in an effort to make it easier allowed paperless/electronic mandates for accounts in your own name in Ireland.

So in this case, Liberty should send you a paper mandate which you send back and than they should be able to use the non irish bank account.

Before you get the CCPC involved, you will need to get them to refuse written instructions. Once they do that than you have a case to complain and see what they will do.

Please remember that they are well within their rights to refuse a non irish bank account for electronic mandate sign up.

Electronic mandate only works if this is an account in your name and a sole account. For anything else (including non-irish accounts) they require a written mandate. In fact they would not be able to use your partners IBAN because that would be a violation of the rules for paperless mandates.

Liberty (like others) rely on automatic processing during the sign up process which is not compatible with anything else than an electronic mandate, so you will always face challenges as long as the regulation requires a written instruction. That has nothing to do with Liberty, that is the regulation that in an effort to make it easier allowed paperless/electronic mandates for accounts in your own name in Ireland.

So in this case, Liberty should send you a paper mandate which you send back and than they should be able to use the non irish bank account.

Before you get the CCPC involved, you will need to get them to refuse written instructions. Once they do that than you have a case to complain and see what they will do.

Solid idea. They seem quite happy to accept my partner's IBAN in any case.

They're going to get back to me in the next few days but I did what you said and asked about a paper mandate.

The first direct debit isn't until January so hopefully it gets sorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

EBS Money Manager if you do need a FREE Rep of Ireland Current Account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just pay up front for the year usong your credit card.

I'm with the life's too short posters ....

Just pay up front for the year usong your credit card.

I'm with the life's too short posters ....

I don't have €1,300 on hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Hi guys. This may be off topic but perhaps someone here can shed light on it.

I received a text message from Bank of Ireland saying: Please remember to submit copies of your ID documents as detailed in our recent email to you.
    I didn't receive an email from them and the message seems legit because it gave a correct customer service number to call.
    Any ideas what they want? I thought that they already have my details etc.

I received a text message from Bank of Ireland saying: Please remember to submit copies of your ID documents as detailed in our recent email to you.
    I didn't receive an email from them and the message seems legit because it gave a correct customer service number to call.

There's a Bank of Ireland forum on here where customer reps can answer your question.

https://www.boards.ie/b/forum/1522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

BOI are finally getting around to fulfilling their obligations under the money laundering legislation. I came home yesterday to a similar letter - first time in over 30 years banking with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The rules relating to mandates do not change depending on the bank account country, the only time that the mandate rules change is when both sides are businesses and the originator is using the B2B scheme

I have had a few arguements with suppliers about accepting bank accounts in other SEPA countries and they have always accepted them in the end (the only exception has been state bodies that believe that the laws do not apply to them)

shar01 wrote: »
    BOI are finally getting around to fulfilling their obligations under the money laundering legislation. I came home yesterday to a similar letter - first time in over 30 years banking with them.

That's good to know. At first I thought it was a phishing message. I suppose they just need me to bring in a passport and etc.

The thought just occurred to me, though, that the criminals will probably find a way to get around it. It will be just another inconvenience ( minor though it may be) for people who are honest.

Advertisement