Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Club when shift working

Options
  • 15-11-2018 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Howdy,

I work shift, most weekends I'm working. I live in South Dublin. Riding for about 18 months properly. Good level of fitness. 35 year old. 79kg. Half decent bike. Try to do 150km around the mountains every week. So I'm reasonably ok solo.

My dilemma is this. I want to join a club to improve my ability in a group. But most club spins are at weekends, so seems like I may not get value for money joining a club if I miss most of the group spins. I think Orwell are finished taking new members for next year... but I could be wrong.

Love to hear thoughts on what I could do to get experience in groups, I hope to race A4 but want to ensure I'm confident in my ability in a group before jumping in next season. I'd like to do a club league before doing A4 just see how I compare and how quickly I get dropped...

Any suggestions appreciated.
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Club leagues are generally midweek. In my club (Bray Wheelers), there is Tuesday evening training that starts in the new year on top of weekend spins. During the summer that's normally a hilly spin. Tuesday's don't work for me family wise, but they seem well regarded! Thursday evenings are club leagues. Open for members.

Best prep I did for A4 racing was specific training the club ran, rather than the club leagues tbh. It covered bike handling (bunny hops/ descending etc), how to handle contact, wheel touches etc. (didn't help in the end as I was brought down by someone who corrected away, rather than into, the wheel contact!).

I really enjoyed the club leagues, but bar the pace/ threshold training, it wasn't the same really as going into an open race field. Definitely gave me enough of a buzz to give it a go though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dx1200

This sounds like the kind of thing I'm after. I suppose best thing is start reaching out to clubs, see what their approach is and go from there.

In terms of A4 actually are any of the races midweek during the season or all on weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Orwell now require you to participate an intake training scheme before joining. Next one will be the spring and would be held over successive weekends so might be difficult for ya.

Worth checking meetup for groups going for spins outside of clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Many of us do shift work and most of the larger clubs will have one or more weekday outings. If you join a club you’ll also meet more people in a similar position so you can also arrange extra unofficial club rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

dx1200 wrote: »

In terms of A4 actually are any of the races midweek during the season or all on weekends?

Pretty much only Mondello which is on Tuesdays evenings, and its handicapped, and bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

dx1200 wrote: »

Apart from Mondello, you get the odd midweek evening race in high summer - used to be a race in Enfield for example - but it will pretty much always be a handicap rather than A4 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Night didn't suit me, so I didn't look into it too much, but there's a Wexford midweek summer league which I think is open, but you have to commit to marshal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dx1200

Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts on any of the clubs around South Dublin.

training advice
    helping one getting prepped for A4 racing
    organized group spins and events
    Range of levels / experience of club members

Obviously Orwell are huge and probably tick most boxes but the waiting list is currently closed. Any thoughts on most positive experiences with any clubs/recommendations.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I work shifts and aren't in a club (yet) but luckily I get to meet a group every Thursday who do a spin near me. The lads are in a few clubs so its quite informal, but I've learnt a lot.
    I chanced upon this group after buying parts off the ads section here, so maybe you could put up an ad saying what you're looking for. Or you could try using strava to find local groups

Advertisement