Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballybough area

Options
  • 15-11-2018 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, does anyone know what it’s like around the Foster Avenue part of Ballybough? I don’t know around there at all but looking at a house to buy. Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Quiet enough street apart from major parking issues and being more or less a prisoner in your house every weekend in GAA season. The habits of some of the 'fans' are somewhat unsanitary at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Myrna

spurious wrote: »
    Quiet enough street apart from major parking issues and being more or less a prisoner in your house every weekend in GAA season. The habits of some of the 'fans' are somewhat unsanitary at times.

Lol ah gotcha, thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's going to be a very very very cool area to own property in in a few years time. If you're young, you cycle, you're a bit tolerant of living in an area that has all the negatives of living close to a modern European city you're on a winner.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's going to be a very very very cool area to own property in in a few years time. If you're young, you cycle, you're a bit tolerant of living in an area that has all the negatives of living close to a modern European city you're on a winner.

Well I’m not particularly young but I have young adult children, I don’t cycle but I do love a city. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

Don't do it. i lived in foster terrace years ago and it was a pain. sooner or later the feral kids will test you out. The GAA is no big deal if you don't have a car but having the guards turn your visitors away is. having the same guards trying to confiscate your shopping n beer is also a pain. The country supporter piss in your front garden and the dublin ones break your windows. the only positive note is the flats behind are getting knocked down so you wont get stoned when in your back garden.

• Advertisement

nick 56 wrote: »
    Don't do it. i lived in foster terrace years ago and it was a pain. sooner or later the feral kids will test you out. The GAA is no big deal if you don't have a car but having the guards turn your visitors away is. having the same guards trying to confiscate your shopping n beer is also a pain. The country supporter piss in your front garden and the dublin ones break your windows. the only positive note is the flats behind are getting knocked down so you wont get stoned when in your back garden.

Haha thanks for that, made me laugh and think twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

John_Rambo wrote: »

A little bit of this ^^^

And a lot of this;

I lived in East Wall for 7 years and loved it (mostly). I didn't need a car because I could walk into the city center in twenty minutes or take the 53 and be there in five.

I could mostly ignore the feral children in the area, I married into an old Sheriff St/East Wall family so that was in itself a little protection.

Not long after we started a family discussions began about getting the kids out of that environment, and the older my son got we could see the kids he was going to be playing with weren't going anywhere good.

We sold up and got out, best move I ever made in terms of my childrens future. Sure there was some great people in those areas', and not all the children will go feral but the odds are stacked against that in my experience.

I've family in Ballybough & Summerhill and I was born on Summerhill so I'm fairly familiar with the area.

A little bit of this ^^^

And a lot of this;

I lived in East Wall for 7 years and loved it (mostly). I didn't need a car because I could walk into the city center in twenty minutes or take the 53 and be there in five.

I could mostly ignore the feral children in the area, I married into an old Sheriff St/East Wall family so that was in itself a little protection.

Not long after we started a family discussions began about getting the kids out of that environment, and the older my son got we could see the kids he was going to be playing with weren't going anywhere good.

We sold up and got out, best move I ever made in terms of my childrens future. Sure there was some great people in those areas', and not all the children will go feral but the odds are stacked against that in my experience.

I've family in Ballybough & Summerhill and I was born on Summerhill so I'm fairly familiar with the area.

Thank you for that, very helpful. It’s hard when you don’t know an area at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

The name comes from the gaeilge Baile bocht, 'poor town'. Just a side fact there for yas all!

I lived there for a year and lost a lot of things like my bike, and also my mind from all the egging the feral children did to me. I was glad to move out. It was a number of years ago though so maybe it's changed.

Advertisement