Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting in raised top soil mounds

Options
  • 15-11-2018 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

I have an idea to bring in top soil to create artificial mounds and then plant hedging on some and trees (probably Birch) on others. For the hedging it is primarily as the ground level is far below the existing wall. I plan to put in bareroot Beach or Hornbeam on top of the topsoil. I could just plant but it would take years to grow up to wall level even.

I have seen this technique used with trees and I think it looks great. For the trees it is to create a natural divide between 2 areas but also an area where kids could run up and down.

My concerns are that the top soil could be soft and the plants may be too unstable. Should I cover with plastic or grass seed and leave to settle for a few months before planting? Another concern is that the mound would be quite dry compared to more level ground. Would watering until established rectify this? Extra staking of trees would also be required?

Anyone with any experience of this kind of work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Treat it a bit like a bonsai tree. Secure it and keep it watered. Firm up The soil as much as possible before planting. The roots will will help firm up the mound over time. But don't rush it give the trees time to settle in. Good idea and best of look with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Accidentally

Mounding is commonly used in Forestry as its cheap and it works. It allows for the digging of drainage channels, and the soil removed is placed in mounds and allows an easy planting environment for bare root trees.

For planting in a garden environment you try to replicate this by planting into soil which will hold together and retain moisture. As long as you've got this you should be fine.

Watering will help but isn't essential as long as we don't get another summer like 2018. Don't plant grass seed, as it will just compete with the trees. Plastic is good to retain moisture and keep down competition, but try to find something that will degrade after a few years.

Whips of 2 or 3 feet won't need support, just get them in early and firmly. Don't be planting bare root into April and hoping that the gods are with you.

Hornbeam and Beech will make a lovely hedge, good summer cover and excellent autumn colour. Hornbeam is equally as good when bare, as it tends to contort in all sorts of interesting ways. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

If the mound is steep heavy rains can wash some soil away from the root ball leaving too much root exposed and some settling of the mound occurs anyway. I've had the best luck topping off with a few inches of heavy bark mulch.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you're bringing in topsoil, do the maths on how much volume you need. It might be a big number if your intention is to raise the ground enough to save a couple of years of waiting for growth, e.g. 2ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Great advice there - thank you all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement