Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alcohol

• 15-11-2018 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭

So I plan on heading out later for the match but I done a weight workout today (various 12kg dumbbell, kettlebell, barbell, leg body exercises, 150 push ups etc) and want to know what's my best drink to have that won't damage the work I did today

Would 2/3 pints of Guinness be ok

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

If your not out every week, then go out and enjoy yourself. Keep hydrated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

2-3 Guinness is completely fine.

It won't negate what you did today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If your not out every week, then go out and enjoy yourself. Keep hydrated though.

Had a lot last Fri but only had 2 pints since then with 3 workouts done since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Just add some protein powder to the Guinness

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Guinness is 210 calories/pint and shots are generally ~50 cals, so you wouldn't be undoing it! Low calorie-wise I'd suggest either gin & soda water, or rum and diet coke. I do this (alternating with just mixer by itself)

p.s. great to hear you're kicking ass in the gym mate. A winner is you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Guinness is 210 calories/pint and shots are generally ~50 cals,
    where are you getting these figures? good info is notoriously hard to find.

Guinness have changed their recipe all the time. Currently cans are 177kcal per 500ml.

I have never heard 210kcal per pint. A typical pint served in a pub will be 525ml, as the head takes up a lot of space, you do not get the 568ml. Even if you did it is 201kcal per 568ml.

In previous years the cans were 170kcal per 500ml. Whenever I saw figures it was relatively low compared to other mainstream beers.

At typical irish pub measure of vodka has about half the alcohol as a pint of beer, so an unfair comparison. But the typical shot is certainly not 50kcal.

ethanol has 7kcal per gram. A 35.5ml pub measure of 37.5% pure vodka is ~73.5kcal
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    Low calorie-wise I'd suggest either gin & soda water, or rum and diet coke. I do this (alternating with just mixer by itself),
    or a half pint of guinness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nothing you drink today will undo your weights workout today.
    I'm not sure why the focus is suddenly low calorie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

rubadub wrote: »
    where are you getting these figures? good info is notoriously hard to find.

Guinness have changed their recipe all the time. Currently cans are 177kcal per 500ml.

I have never heard 210kcal per pint. A typical pint served in a pub will be 525ml, as the head takes up a lot of space, you do not get the 568ml. Even if you did it is 201kcal per 568ml.
    I had the 210 per pint figure too, and it's what pops up most on mfp.

It's hard to get info on many pints to be honest, I normally guestimate based on what I can find. e.g. this is what founders have on their website, 12 oz is about 350ml...
    Here is calorie information for many of the beers that we offer (per 12 oz. serving):
    Centennial IPA: 220
    Dirty Bastard: 270
    All Day IPA: 140
    Solid Gold: 140
    Double Trouble: 265
    Porter: 230
    Red’s Rye PA: 210
    Nitro Oatmeal Stout: 140
    Breakfast Stout: 270
    KBS: 340
    Rübæus: 220
    Green Zebra: 180
    Backwoods Bastard: 320
    PC Pils: 170
    Mosaic Promise: 175
    Azacca IPA: 210

Then you have to factor in whether the body converts all the calories from alcohol. My reading has suggested it doesn't, but then because the body is prioritising dealing with the alcohol, that the junk you eat on top gets largely stored.

tl;dr O'Hara's Leann Follain is always the answer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I had the 210 per pint figure too, and it's what pops up most on mfp.
    That is another thing to watch for, this MRP page is using US pints 473ml

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/guinness-stout-pint-381388427#

It shows 500ml as 222kcal, when it is 175kcal.

It shows 568ml as 252kcal.

Another site said stout can be 252kcal per pint, but is talking about strong pints, guinness is relatively weak at 4.2%

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Then you have to factor in whether the body converts all the calories from alcohol.
    Yes, heavy drinkers will process alcohol a lot easier. This is why shane macgowan is not 25 stone. I am a heavy drinker and pretty much ignored calories from alcohol and was steadily losing weight even though my weekly intake of calories would have been way over what would have been though necessary if I included alcohol calories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Another site said stout can be 252kcal per pint, but is talking about strong pints, guinness is relatively weak at 4.2%
    I do tend to drink stronger beers, including stouts. IPA's are generally quite calorific. I don't tend to try and estimate each brand, I have a "meal" saved and just use that every week.
    I am a heavy drinker and pretty much ignored calories from alcohol and was steadily losing weight even though my weekly intake of calories would have been way over what would have been though necessary if I included alcohol calories.
    As above, I do track them, but not too religiously (compared to my normal food). I would say I don't see that much impact, but I definitely do have the munchies and make poor choices, and eat unnecessarily when loaded. That has a bigger impact for me. But for me personally, I think seeing them in my weekly totals helps me avoid a weekend spiral, particularly the next morning!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭UCD GroupThink

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So I plan on heading out later for the match but I done a weight workout today (various 12kg dumbbell, kettlebell, barbell, leg body exercises, 150 push ups etc) and want to know what's my best drink to have that won't damage the work I did today

Would 2/3 pints of Guinness be ok
    I did.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I did.

If you have nothing useful to add, please don't bother posting. Infracted

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

The main thing is to avoid the ****e takeaway after and the dodgy eating the next day.

Well that's the biggest problem with me anyway.

Advertisement