Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which equipment is best for home exercise

Options
  • 15-11-2018 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I'm thinking of buying home exercise equipment and would like some advice on the best type for that.
    I used to run quite a bit some years ago but only swim now but I would like to also have something that I could do at home for leg strength etc.
    Which do you think is better a cycle machine or a stairmaster ( with the poles for arm work)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Thanks glasso. I've also recently been hearing good things about power lifting and am thinking about looking into that also. I realise, though, that it is something that will have to been done in the gym - squats, bench press and deadlifts.
    I might take a look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Deadlifts don't need to be done in the gym.

If you want to build leg strength, get a squat rack.

Don't see the point in a machine that pretends to be stairs when stairs are easy enough to find in the real world.

RayCun wrote: »
    Deadlifts don't need to be done in the gym.

If you want to build leg strength, get a squat rack.

Don't see the point in a machine that pretends to be stairs when stairs are easy enough to find in the real world.

I've been looking at that option all right. Sounds good. Unfortunately I don't have stairs in my house, but the squat rack sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hi guys. I'm thinking of buying home exercise equipment and would like some advice on the best type for that.
    I used to run quite a bit some years ago but only swim now but I would like to also have something that I could do at home for leg strength etc.
    Which do you think is better a cycle machine or a stairmaster ( with the poles for arm work)?

Depending on how fit you already are, you could start with no equipment, just do squats, one-legged squats, leg lifts, planks, side planks etc? You might already be really proficient at all that, but for me, there's loads I could do to build strength without needing anything but my own body weight. Then when you were sure you were going to stick with a routine you could shell out for equipment?

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Depending on how fit you already are, you could start with no equipment, just do squats, one-legged squats, leg lifts, planks, side planks etc? You might already be really proficient at all that, but for me, there's loads I could do to build strength without needing anything but my own body weight. Then when you were sure you were going to stick with a routine you could shell out for equipment?

Hi HelenAnne, yes I do squats with a chair on my shoulders ( it has a fair bit of weight) and also push-ups.
    I was listening to a 73 year old woman on the BBC radio who does power lifting, since she was 65 (100 Kg bench press, 120Kg squats,etc) and she has a bone mass of a 22 year old. She's a college professor, and very astute. That's what got me interested in the power lifting aspect of exercise.

ideally you want to do both cardio and weights (for muscle mass maintenance / development)

bodyweight exercises are good as suggested.

glasso wrote: »
    ideally you want to do both cardio and weights (for muscle mass maintenance / development)

bodyweight exercises are good as suggested.

I decided to join the gym, since I already go there to swim. Bench press, squats, and deadlifts etc. plus treadmill. Thanks for all the good advice.

I decided to join the gym, since I already go there to swim. Bench press, squats, and deadlifts etc. plus treadmill. Thanks for all the good advice.

probably the best option.

classes and maybe a personal trainer intro session could be a good way to get into it.

Advertisement