Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Survey Results

Options
  • 15-11-2018 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I recently had a survey conducted on a house which I have gone sale agreed on.

The surveyor has returned a number of findings in the report (listed below) but has advised that the overall condition of the house is good.

My question is whether any of these issues need to be addressed by the vendor prior to the sale or are these standard findings that are part and parcel of buying a second hand property?

Any advice would be welcome!

* I will be having a meeting with the surveyor tomorrow to discuss the findings

Kitchen to rear: No earthwire under the Kitchen sink.
    Utility Room: Ceiling is a bit marked.
    -There is an old flue in the corner that has not been blocked off yet – this needs attention.
    Playroom and Garage door: This room is not compliant with Building Regulations as there is no window to the outside.
    Bedroom 3 (Front): The aluminium single-glazed window is not compliant with Building Regs as the opening sashes are at the top and not suitable as means of escape.
    -The electric sockets are located too close to the floor and need to be adjusted by a qualified electrician (min requirement is 450mm above floor covering).
    Bedroom 4 (Box to Front): The aluminium single-glazed window is not compliant with Building Regs, as per Bedroom 3.
    -The electric sockets are located too close to the floor, as per Bedroom 3.
    Hotpress: No labels on valves/ stopcocks.
    Main Bathroom off Landing: no earthwire on the radiator.
    Attic space: Additional insulation required.
    Externally: -Flashing on parapet wall to the side needs attention.
    -Single storey shed in rear garden. Vendors to supply Certificate of Exemption.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Pretty standard stuff on an older house. Not being to current regulations doesn't make it dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RisingDamp

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Pretty standard stuff on an older house. Not being to current regulations doesn't make it dangerous.

Thanks for the response. I thought as much myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

The vendor is not obliged to fix this for you. The way they see it, and rightly so, is if you don’t want it the way it is, someone else will.

Al looks like minor stuff anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

I wouldn't worry about any of that stuff. We had 3 pages of similar items on our report and house was only 15 years old. Even new houses have snag lists. Any serious structural defects would have been well highlighted in his report.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

RisingDamp wrote: »
    -Single storey shed in rear garden. Vendors to supply Certificate of Exemption.

Lol. 2 chances of that!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Lol. 2 chances of that!!!!

Should be pretty standard in my experience. Any alterations to the property require Certificates of Compliance with any Planning and/or Building Regulations, or if exempt, then an Opinion of Exemption from the Planning Regulations. Sheds are exempt from building Regulations, so Certificate of exemption should suffice.

I've done many of these.

kceire wrote: »
    Should be pretty standard in my experience. Any alterations to the property require Certificates of Compliance with any Planning and/or Building Regulations, or if exempt, then an Opinion of Exemption from the Planning Regulations. Sheds are exempt from building Regulations, so Certificate of exemption should suffice.

I've done many of these.

For a shed though? Why bother? Its clearly an exempted development. Or am I missing something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

For a shed though? Why bother? Its clearly an exempted development. Or am I missing something?

I had to get one for a porch, it's normal for the vendor to have to show there are no issues that the purchaser might be buying into.

Rew wrote: »
    I had to get one for a porch, it's normal for the vendor to have to show there are no issues that the purchaser might be buying into.

A porch i understand. Any changes to the front elevation are far more serious than installation of a shed I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

The age of the house here is quite important, the building regulations (if any) in force at the time it was constructed are what it should be compared with.

If windows were upgraded at a later point it will be the elemental U-values of the Part L regulations that were in force when the works were carried out that need to be considered.

It is totally wrong to expect a 1920s building to have full compliance with current building regs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

A porch i understand. Any changes to the front elevation are far more serious than installation of a shed I would have thought.

its exactly the same in the eyes of the law though, the engineer is is protecting the interests of his client. Imagine buying a house and being forced to knock a shed you didn't build.

Makes no difference. Front elevation change is just as serious as a shed that’s over the exemption limits. And enforcement procedures apply to both. They both have their own separate exemptions. I’m basing this on the fact it’s a solid built shed, not your typical 6x6 timber shed.

Makes no difference. Front elevation change is just as serious as a shed that’s over the exemption limits. And not enemy roceesures apply. They both have their own separate exemptions. I’m basing this on the fact it’s a solid built shed, not your typical 6x6 timber shed.

I guess it depends on your definition of a shed. I was picturing a timber shed.

I guess it depends on your definition of a shed. I was picturing a timber shed.

The regs clearly define it.
    No Surveyor will look for an exemption cert for a timber shed, but they will for a block built shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RisingDamp

The regs clearly define it.
    No Surveyor will look for an exemption cert for a timber shed, but they will for a block built shed.

Cheers for the advice. I'm happy for then to knock it anyway

RisingDamp wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice. I'm happy for then to knock it anyway

Cost of knocking and disposal V cost of cert.

I’d say the buyers will get the cert. assuming it’s actually exempt in the first place.

Advertisement