Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Told not to post again in AH thread.

Options
  • 15-11-2018 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Wonder if somebody could have a look at this.

I received a one day ban in AH and a thread ban for this from the Mod.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108623784&postcount=1554

I was not calling Casey a racist for starters.

I did offer the opinion that he had incited hate though but I had posted the phrase he used, showed by linking to CSO data that it was wrong and was therefore an insulting generalisation which can be incitement to hate under the legislation. I posted the above several times in the thread by way of explaining my thinking.
    I did misunderstand the mod instruction but corrected that in the post below and posted my reasoning again in the post below. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108625112&postcount=1595

Again, I had explained this several times in the thread. I understand people vehemently disagreed with me. But it was my opinion and backed up. The mod seemed to have missed that backup and refused to check if I had explained my thinking. He/she has directed me here.

I think it was a very unfair ban and I accept I am one voice against many in that thread. There is a lot of vitriol and hounding going on against anyone who goes against what Casey did.

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He/she has directed me here.
    Just to clarify - the automatic ban message provides a link to here. However the first step of any appeal is to contact the mod to try and resolve your dispute directly. Have you done this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Beasty wrote: »
    Just to clarify - the automatic ban message provides a link to here. However the first step of any appeal is to contact the mod to try and resolve your dispute directly. Have you done this?

Thanks

I did yes. He/she didn't respond to me telling them that I had previously explained and provided links to back up what I said.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I did yes. He/she didn't respond to me telling them that I had previously explained and provided links to back up what I said.
    When did you PM them?

Twice after ban.
    His/her first reply was they were not wasting anymore time and to take it dispute. They didn't reply to second PM.

I think they thought I was just repeating the claim of what was in my opinion 'hate speech' without backing it up, when I had given my reasoning before hand.

OK, I'll ask one of the CMods to have a look at this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi
    Can you post here the pm exchange you had with the mod in question?

Dear FrancieBrady,

You have been banned from After Hours for one day for ignoring a moderator's instructions.

Discussion can become heated, we don't object to that, but when a moderator issues a warning on a thread to reign things in, it stops a heated discussion from turning into a mess.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Dole Scrounging Vegan Crossfitter

Moderator Note

You were told not to post in this thread again unless you posted proof of what you were posting. You did not. Don't post in this thread when your threadban is up.

Your post:
    riginally Posted by FrancieBrady View Post
    Battlecorp wrote:

I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find one single pro for traveller culture. By that I mean finding one aspect of their culture that benefits the rest of society.
    And I will say again, that is not the test.

All sections of this society have been allowed to pursue cultural activity if they deem it important to them, themselves.
    In many cases I don't get a say on their relative value.
    That is one of the things you have to put up with in a truly 'inclusive' society where everyone is entitled to 'parity of esteem'.
    Which is exactly what SEMS was designed to promote here.
    Re: Moderation

[QUOTE=
    FrancieBrady]I have repeatedly said, that Casey's comment
    'That travellers are basically people who camp on other people's land', was not based on fact (I linked to CSO stats that show over 70% of travellers live in fixed accommodation) was wrong, was a generalisation and that it was 'my opinion' that he said it to incite hate.

That, by the way, is the phrase that all other posters on the thread DO NOT quote when responding to my opinion.

I fail to see why my backed up opinion is being censored/restricted because some seem to get annoyed by it.
    I didn't call him a racist by the way.
    Hi FrancieBrady,

You're not being censored and you're not being banned for "annoying" some. You're being banned for refusing to engage in honest debate with other posters.

I've wasted enough time reviewing this thread and am not overturning this. You are welcome to ask another mod or a Cmod.

Regards,
    DSVC[/QUOTE]
    Entirely unreasonable and just the response they were looking for. Well done.

Sonetime you get a chance try looking at the vitriol anyone gets who goes against that mob. And cheers for ignoring my quite reasonable defence

I hope you can appreciate how disgusted I am. You are welcome to that echo chamber of hate you created.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Seem to be having technical problems here. Could you link to each post you made in the thread in question and I can assess?

The mod posted on thread and I immediately PM'ed him/her offering the following explanation:
    I have repeatedly said, that Casey's comment
    'That travellers are basically people who camp on other people's land', was not based on fact (I linked to CSO stats that show over 70% of travellers live in fixed accommodation) was wrong, was a generalisation and that it was 'my opinion' that he said it to incite hate.

That, by the way, is the phrase that all other posters on the thread DO NOT quote when responding to my opinion.

I fail to see why my backed up opinion is being censored/restricted because some seem to get annoyed by it.
    I didn't call him a racist by the way.

I also sent him the legislation that I had earlier posted on the thread to back up my opinion.
    Here is the specific legislation governing incitement to hate and what it applies to.
    If you take a generalised comment as being 'insulting', an allegation/opinion that he engaged in hate speech is entirely valid.
    The thread itself is evidence that it 'stirred up hate'.

Asking you to consider this please.

Section 2 offence:
    ''It shall be an offence for a person”
    (a) to publish or distribute written material,
    (b) to use words, behave or display written material”
    (i) in any place other than inside a private residence, or
    (ii) inside a private residence so that the words, behaviour or
    material are heard or seen by persons outside the residence,
    or
    (c) to distribute, show or play a recording of visual images or sounds,
    if the written material, words, behaviour, visual images or sounds, as the case
    may be, are threatening, abusive or insulting and are intended or, having
    regard to all the circumstances, are likely to stir up hatred.

However I failed to understand the moderation and that he/she wanted me to back up my 'incitement to hatred' opinion in my next post. I understand that. I don't understand the original moderation though as I had backed up what had led me to the opinion.

Hi

This is by far the most amount of work I ever had to do on a DRP. There are thousands of posts to look at. This is why it is taking so long. Hopefully coming to some kind of conclusion over the next few days.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Hi

This is by far the most amount of work I ever had to do on a DRP. There are thousands of posts to look at. This is why it is taking so long. Hopefully coming to some kind of conclusion over the next few days.

:confused::confused: Not sure why you have to go through 'thousands of posts' tbh.

OK, given the ongoing delay in this appeal I'm going to step in

You were requested by a mod to provide something to support your allegations which you failed to do. On the face of it I would uphold the ban as you ignored the mod instruction

However I do think the delay in dealing with this is unreasonable, and on that basis I am going to overturn the ban

Because it has expired I will put a note on your profile to that effect

I'm closing this thread, but if you would like to discuss any of this further please drop me a PM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement