Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin public transport

• 15-11-2018 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I'm moving up to Dublin from Cork in March for 6 months for college and I'll be using the Dart/Luas when I'm there. What's the best way to go about travelling.

I'll be getting a dart from outside the city to Conolly/Tara (Either or its the same for me) and probably walking from the station to work. I've seen monthly rail cards available? And also leap cards but there's something to do with daily capping on them? If anyone could provide me with any advice I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I use the Dart primarily and leap cards. They're handy in that you can set them up so they automatically top up and you can use them on the dart, bus and luas. Cheaper than daily/ weekly tickets, probably not much in it with a monthly pass.
    Not sure about the daily capping but if anything it probably limits the charge per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Demerson969

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I use the Dart primarily and leap cards. They're handy in that you can set them up so they automatically top up and you can use them on the dart, bus and luas. Cheaper than daily/ weekly tickets, probably not much in it with a monthly pass.
    Not sure about the daily capping but if anything it probably limits the charge per day.

Can I ask if you don't mind what you're average monthly spend on the dart is? I'm guessing you're travelling for work/college on a daily basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm not sure. It just automatically deducts. According to this buying a daily return would cost me €6.25.

http://www.irishrail.ie/rail-fares-and-tickets/dart-and-short-hop-zone#farescalculator

I'm assuming I'm paying €2.50 or €3 per journey according to this. Tbh last time I checked I think it was 2.20 or 2.40 per trip

https://about.leapcard.ie/about/fares-discounts

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Demerson969

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm not sure. It just automatically deducts. According to this buying a daily return would cost me €6.25.

I'm assuming I'm paying €2.50 or €3 per journey according to this. Tbh last time I checked I think it was 2.20 or 2.40 per trip

I really appreciate this! Thanks so much for all the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

If your going for college you may want a student leap card

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm moving up to Dublin from Cork in March for 6 months for college and I'll be using the Dart/Luas when I'm there. What's the best way to go about travelling.

Intern placement from Cork, careful now that is how I came to Dublin many years ago and never left! :D

It will be worth you getting a student Leap card to get around (also works in Cork BTW).

Also you should enquire with your employer if they operate the taxsaver scheme. If you are taking the DART to work every day, then a monthly "Monthly Rail Short Hop Zone" ticket will save you money, specially if your employer is on the taxsaver scheme, then you get either 25% or 50% ish off the ticket price depending on your tax bracket.

Advertisement