Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROI vs NI, International Friendly, k.o. 7:45pm, Sky Sports Football

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Absolutely cracking game between Croatia and Spain. Glad I didn't watch this ****e. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Duff wrote: »
    Remember when Trap was gone and we thought O'Neill would be the second coming of Guardiola?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Well that was bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,658 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I never thought I'd see the day that we'd be pinned back in our own half by N.I. And rely on our keeper to keep us in it. Shocking even if it is a friendly.
    Our management haven't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

31,241 according to the FAI. No doubt plenty of freebies.

If we keep this level of performance up for the qualifiers we haven't a hope of qualifying. Muck.

More like 20,000 I would say. And in that figure a lot of freebie tickets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Soups123

I hope Denmark destroy us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Garbage. O' Neill has to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Every fan should be given double their admission price going out the gate horrendous stuff

Got a call about free tickets today. Laughed and put down the phone. Got that one right.
    Absolutely cracking game between Croatia and Spain. Glad I didn't watch this ****e. :pac:

Yeah, have it on here. Some lovely stuff. Two proper sides. England game started well but died a death after we went 2-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Mokuba wrote: »
    They are counting Season Ticket sales in that figure as far as I know. More than half of the lads I know who have Season Tickets didn't go, including me.

Yeah I meant to add that. Have a season ticket but I couldn't go anyway as I'm in work but would have thought strongly about not going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Soups123 wrote: »
    I hope Denmark destroy us

I would if it meant O'Neill would go but I've come to realise that he's not going anywhere until he feels like it. On easy Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Full-Time and it ends 0-0. That game was as bad as I feared, yet I'm still disappointed. I feel sorry for those who paid to watch it.

Randolph is the main positive. He saved us from a defeat that probably would have been deserved on the balance of play.

Our lack of quality is really striking. While there are certainly tactical questions to be asked of the management, not being able to string basic passes together rests on the players and exemplifies we have a shocking lack of technical quality.

Tough time to be a fan. Can only hope there's a few gems on the way from the youth ranks as they can't come soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Stephen Kenny surely needs to be approached now.

Anyone other than MO'N please

Imagine actually paying €45 or €65 for that.

Yeah I meant to add that. Have a season ticket but I couldn't go anyway as I'm in work but would have thought strongly about not going.

Lucky you having to work.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    I would if it meant O'Neill would go but I've come to realise that he's not going anywhere until he feels like it. On easy Street.

Would a mass 'no show' from fans not work? That was atrocious tonight. Sitting deep and looking for a draw against NI. That's bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,217 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

IF you can't use a friendly against NI to try to play a passing game, new positive tactics etc then you are doomed to produce anything against the better European teams.

It is clueless nonsense at this stage.

It will impact if he get a few more beating. I’d rather the short term pain that two years of this ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

bennyl10 wrote: »

Why would Stephen Kenny touch the job with JD and his mates in charge. Kenny has it better in Dundalk with Peak 6 who seem to setting the club up in a professional manner. The FAI is and remains a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,120 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

MON won't be sacked as they will have no manager there for the euros draw next month

It would be perfect if he went next week and we will have til March to find a new manager but then again the new managers first games will be 2 competitive games

Would you take McCarthy back? Bet football I've ever seen you play was under him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Berserker wrote: »
    Lucky you having to work.

Would a mass 'no show' from fans not work? That was atrocious tonight. Sitting deep and looking for a draw against NI. That's bad.

Wouldn't matter a ****. The fai brass would still get their wads of cash and they'd just make up the shortfall where the game needs it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,217 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The sad thing is MON will see this as a positive, we didn't lose.
    Thats the mentality he works with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

I never thought I'd see the day that we'd be pinned back in our own half by N.I. And rely on our keeper to keep us in it. Shocking even if it is a friendly.
    Our management haven't a clue.

Sure we only had 40 odd percent possession against the mighty Moldova and they had us pinned back in our own half for most of the second half of that game. NI are a better side so it was inevitable we were going to struggle tonight. It's an insult to the fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Duff wrote: »
    Remember when Trap was gone and we thought O'Neill would be the second coming of Guardiola?

No. That never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I know that we don't have the calibre of footballers anymore, but the north probably have worse players than us and they actually try and play football!

What's worse, if O'Neill did get sacked you would another anti football manager like Allardyce getting the job with how incompetent the FAI are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

He wouldn't give Obafemi a few minutes, what a rotten w*nker.

No doubt it's because he made him look like a tit today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Id take Mike Bassett at this rate.

Would you take McCarthy back? Bet football I've ever seen you play was under him.

I would but I don’t think McCarthy is that type of manager any more. He had Ipswich doing the same as O’Neill has use with a little more passion

• Administrators Posts: 54,189 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

NI the better team, actually disappointed with that result.

edgecutter wrote: »
    I know that we don't have the calibre of footballers anymore, but the north probably have worse players than us and they actually try and play football!

They're about equal player wise but their manager is more football focused. They are woeful in the final third. Steven Davis is a very good footballer but they don't have any world class players, a la Wales and Bale. I think MON has done a great job with NI. The IFA made a good choice when they appointed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭pgj2015

we would be better off with Mike Bassett than O neil and Keane

Soups123 wrote: »
    I would but I don’t think McCarthy is that type of manager any more. He had Ipswich doing the same as O’Neill has use with a little more passion

He had Ipswich playing levels above the actual players he had, as seen this season without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Absolutely, as he would say himself. He'll be there for the qualifiers, no doubt whatsoever about that. FAI can't sack him as it would cost too much. No way would he walk away. Meanwhile, the fans have to put up with stone age football. It's a wretched situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Their about equal player wise but their manager is more football focus. They are woeful in the final third. Steven Davis is a very good footballer but they don't have any world class players, a la Wales and Bale.

Ah stop. Our players are better for the main. Have a look. Jordan Jones Kilmarnock. Gavin Whyte Oxford. Michael smith Hearts. Liam Boyce burton albion. Seriously.

He wouldn't give Obafemi a few minutes, what a rotten w*nker.

No doubt it's because he made him look like a tit today.

Why does Obafemi deserve minutes above other players??? He is 18 and has played a few minutes for Southampton.

Absolutely, as he would say himself. He'll be there for the qualifiers, no doubt whatsoever about that. FAI can't sack him as it would cost too much. No way would he walk away. Meanwhile, the fans have to put up with stone age football. It's a wretched situation.

To be brutally, I think you are going to need a good draw to get there. Can't see you getting there playing like that.

• Advertisement

He had Ipswich playing levels above the actual players he had, as seen this season without him.

Yeah if agree that’s what a meant by playing with more passion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Michael O'Neill is "fustrated" and rightly so.

Why does Obafemi deserve minutes above other players??? He is 18 and has played a few minutes for Southampton.

It was a friendly, what was the harm?

It would have done him the world of good and given him some confidence. Maybe excited the crowd a little to see what may be the future of Irish football.

Ryan Giggs is capping players who barely play, and manages to embarrass us with them.

Hardly like the usual suspects have been pulling up trees for us over the last year.

Give over.

In other news, Croatia just turned over Spain 3-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Looking at the crowd that were there tonight and the possible impact that ****e display will have on further attendances I’d say pressure will be firmly on! There’s loyalty and then there’s paying good money for a really poor product and that’s what Ireland is at the moment! You can throw out the real fans will go bollox but people will get fed up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Ah stop. Our players are better for the main. Have a look. Jordan Jones Kilmarnock. Gavin Whyte Oxford. Michael smith Hearts. Liam Boyce burton albion. Seriously.

The sensationalist tripe you see some people coming out with here. We were terrible, but the way some posters talk about NI you'd think they have a world class setup.

It was a friendly, what was the harm?

It would have done him the world of good and given him some confidence. Maybe excited the crowd a little to see what may be the future of Irish football.

Ryan Giggs is capping players who barely play, and manages to embarrass us with them.

Hardly like the usual suspects have been pulling up trees for us over the last year.

Give over.

No. You still haven't sold it to me.

He could only make 6 subs. The likes of Long and Arter deserved minutes ahead of him for starters. Obafemi (if he is good enough) will get his chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He could only make 6 subs. The likes of Long and Arter deserved minutes ahead of him for starters. Obafemi (if he is good enough) will get his chance.

Not sure too many want risk injury playing in that type of game.

I couldn't care less what I've sold you. Your opinion or approval is completely irrelevant to me.

Why would we give more game time in a friendly to Shane Long ffs. What will we find out about him that we don't already know.

If you don't give players a chance in competitive games, and don't give them a chance in friendlies, then when will they get a chance?

Talking complete bile. Give Shane Long another go, in a bloody friendly :rolleyes:.

He should have gotten a few minutes, at least.

Jesus , what is with the paragraph sentences. Shane Long wasn't on the bench. Kevin Long was. So don't accuse me of talking bile.

Christ, chill the f*ck out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

I'd have him back tomorrow. He had a bad patch at Wolves without a Striker, had them outside the bottom 3, got the bullet and they didn't get another point until the last game of the season.

Ipswich were there is there abouts in the play offs for a couple of seasons under McCarthy on a show string, leaves and they are bottom of the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

Just to play devils advocate though - why do Long and Arter "deserve" minutes? We already know what they can do - their strengths and weaknesses. Friendlies should be mainly a way of blooding new players and trying out different things. Stuff we are unable or unwilling to do in competitive games. If the likes of Obafemi shows promise and looks good in training why not give him a run out for 15 minutes. Definitely wouldn't do any harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Did Coleman just have a go at Hendrick?

sonic85 wrote: »
    Just to play devils advocate though - why do Long and Arter "deserve" minutes? We already know what they can do - their strengths and weaknesses. Friendlies should be mainly a way of blooding new players and trying out different things. Stuff we are unable or unwilling to do in competitive games. If the likes of Obafemi shows promise and looks good in training why not give him a run out for 15 minutes. Definitely wouldn't do any harm

I think the forwards he brought on, Curtis, Maguire and Hogan deserved to be on the pitch ahead of him. It is not as if they are seasoned players at this level so surely there is plenty more to learn about them??

I would have no issue with him playing Obafemi, but the above hyperbolic response to it calling MON a rotten w*nker for not playing him is over the top and pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

LeBash wrote: »
    I'd have him back tomorrow. He had a bad patch at Wolves without a Striker, had them outside the bottom 3, got the bullet and they didn't get another point until the last game of the season.
    McCarthy is not the answer, and neither is Kenny. Our best bet would be to get someone young and up and coming. The likes of a Southgate who will put a focus on youth and getting us playing proper football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement