Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROI vs NI, International Friendly, k.o. 7:45pm, Sky Sports Football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

McCarthy is not the answer, and neither is Kenny. Our best bet would be to get someone young and up and coming. The likes of a Southgate who will put a focus on youth and getting us playing proper football.

Stephen Kenny is actually younger than Gareth Southgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Berserker wrote: »
    They're about equal player wise but their manager is more football focused. They are woeful in the final third. Steven Davis is a very good footballer but they don't have any world class players, a la Wales and Bale. I think MON has done a great job with NI. The IFA made a good choice when they appointed him.

:) While MON might be struggling at the minute, when all is said and done I think Michael would be very happy to end up with a managerial career record like what MON has.

Tonight Michael's team were the better team without winning but Michael hasn't managed near to at the levels Martin did in his managerial career thus far.

MON eh:pac:, you're some character.

Would you take McCarthy back? Bet football I've ever seen you play was under him.

I'll have James McCarthy back please, fully fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

McCarthy is hated by Ipswich fans for his playing style. Even now most of them say they're happy to be rid of him regardless of their current position because they don't have to put up with his turgid playing style any more.

Seems bizarre, considering all the flak Trap and Mon got for their style of play, to then go for McCarthy. People realise the players at McCarthy's disposal in '02 are in a different league to the current crop, don't they?

Kenny would flop badly imo. Different kettle of fish to go from a Dundalk side with more quality than most teams in their league, to an international set-up where you have a team that, at best, is bang average, and more often than not will meet teams who are more skilled technically. His record at Dunfermline was poor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

McCarthy is not the answer, and neither is Kenny. Our best bet would be to get someone young and up and coming. The likes of a Southgate who will put a focus on youth and getting us playing proper football.

Like a Steve Staunton.

Good man yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Friendly or not,that 90mins was an absolute embarrassing attempt at playing football. Could have lost 3/4-0 to a bunch of nobodys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Apart from Robinson,Curtis & Stevens.

None of the of the Irish squad is in any obvious form. We have such a poor squad.
    We need a change of manager & Delaney needs to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,120 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

MD1990 wrote: »

None of the of the Irish squad is in any obvious form. We have such a poor squad.

None of the 2 will go but most likely is MON before Delaney (is he not head of the Fai and the "boys" won't have the balls to give him a no confidence vote ?)

• Administrators Posts: 54,189 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Randolph made two huge saves tonight that kept you in the game, would be hard to be harsh on him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sugarman wrote: »
    You're completely contradicting yourself here. Kenny is younger than Southgate, always has his teams getting on the ball and playing great passing football and has no qualms throwing youth into the mix.

You can’t use facts on the internet!! That’s cheating!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

TheCitizen wrote: »
    :) While MON might be struggling at the minute, when all is said and done I think Michael would be very happy to end up with a managerial career record like what MON has.

Tonight Michael's team were the better team without winning but Michael hasn't managed near to at the levels Martin did in his managerial career thus far.

He’ll have to find a coach like John Robertson if he wants any of the success Martin had. Strange coincidence that his success nosedived when John left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

We have a better squad than NI.

awec wrote: »
    Randolph made two huge saves tonight that kept you in the game, would be hard to be harsh on him.

Again we have a far better squad than NI. Our management is the issue here. Full stop.

Again we have a far better squad than NI. Our management is the issue here. Full stop.
    Wouldn't disagree with that. You've more players playing at a higher level, but O'Neill and Keane haven't a notion.

Wouldn't disagree with that. You've more players playing at a higher level, but O'Neill and Keane haven't a notion.

Spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Our only hope is to get relegated to League D and then qualify via that.

Have the usual heroes waved the white flags?

Staunton, Trapattoni, O'Neill.

Time for a real change.

Stop this corruption of Irish soccer.

Why was a baller like Shaun Williams left on the bench while Brady & Hendrick & Williams get to hide in midfield?

How about playing players that aren't afraid of the ****ing ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,215 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We must be one of the best purveyors of anti-football in the world these days.

If there's an international team who play worse football than us, I'd like to see them.

We basically play Wimledon 1980s football on an international stage. Hard work, heart, hoofball, playing for set pieces, balls in the box. Stone age stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Like a Steve Staunton.

Good man yourself.

I haven't got a Scooby Doo

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    We basically play Wimledon 1980s football on an international stage. Hard work, heart, hoofball, playing for set pieces, balls in the box. Stone age stuff.

That's harsh on Wimbledon.

They had a gameplan. It was awful to watch, but the players bought into it, they were coached at it, they all knew what they were supposed to do.

The only thing in common is that we are also awful to watch. If anything, the great "who will be next to defect" controversy, while it points to the shambles, is about the most interesting aspect of it all these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

They're about equal player wise but their manager is more football focused. They are woeful in the final third. Steven Davis is a very good footballer but they don't have any world class players, a la Wales and Bale. I think MON has done a great job with NI. The IFA made a good choice when they appointed him.

How does a few good seasons at Celtic and a couple at Leicester help us? Right now he's a **** manager and living off pass glories in Celtic fans minds. On current ability he's worse than Stan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Again we have a far better squad than NI.

That's like saying you have chlamydia, the best of all sexually transmitted diseases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's harsh on Wimbledon.

They had a gameplan. It was awful to watch, but the players bought into it, they were coached at it, they all knew what they were supposed to do.

The only thing in common is that we are also awful to watch. If anything, the great "who will be next to defect" controversy, while it points to the shambles, is about the most interesting aspect of it all these days.

Exactly

Wimbledon were competitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Exactly

Wimbledon were competitive

won more trophies than Ireland too

That's like saying you have chlamydia, the best of all sexually transmitted diseases.

How is it? What a stupid idiotic statement.

Its not arbitrary. The fact is we have for the best part players who are a lot better than the Norths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Its not arbitrary. The fact is we have for the best part players who are a lot better than the Norths.

Are they a lot better though? They play at a higher level but I've seen nothing to suggest that they are a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭blade1

:pac:
    i5qcyv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Brilliant stuff Jamie. :D Had to be honest and say that apart from some panto booing and the "he's one of our own" PL chant about McClean, I didn't hear much from the RoI fans. NI fans won hands down. Shameful booing of the anthems at the start but I wouldn't expect anything less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

That's one of the funniest Tweets I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's fair to say that we don't have a great set of players, but it's also fair to say that we have a management team who, recently at least, are nowhere near even getting the sum of their parts out of that set of players, and we are paying well over the odds for that management team.

doncarlos wrote: »
    How does a few good seasons at Celtic and a couple at Leicester help us? Right now he's a **** manager and living off pass glories in Celtic fans minds. On current ability he's worse than Stan

It doesn’t. Setting a few facts straight is all. Every player and manager has a shelf life MON may have reached his, that doesn’t change or affect his past achievements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I watched it in a bar at a work event and TBH, it was one of the most pathetic, spineless performances I've seen from the international side.

If I was at home, I'd have turned it off after 30mins.

After the embarrassing end to the WC qualifying campaign I vowed not to go up again considering the performances were turgid and there was no apparent solution on the horizon.

You could go all on on MON & Keane but its all been said before and the FAI wont sack them, even at this stage sacking them isnt going to automatically yield magical results but if it meant we were competitive and played a bit of ball it would at least be a start.

Its all gone a bit poisonous under MON & Keane and I honestly cant fathom how MON has got any stock left at this stage, his last decent run was nearly a decade ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It doesn’t. Setting a few facts straight is all. Every player and manager has a shelf life MON may have reached his, that doesn’t change or affect his past achievements.

But I think it does affect his managerial legacy.

Think of Stan.

Stan was known as one of the great Irish players of all time.
    A career that saw 3 world cups and lasted over a decade.

But what is he known for now ?

'I'm the gaffer

5-2 v Cyprus

1-2 win over San Marino (a late late Ireland goal getting the win)

O'Neill is heading the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Think of Stan.

Stan was known as one of the great Irish players

Wait do eejits now think Stan wasn't a good player because he was a bad manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I watched it in a bar at a work event and TBH, it was one of the most pathetic, spineless performances I've seen from the international side.

If I was at home, I'd have turned it off after 30mins.

After the embarrassing end to the WC qualifying campaign I vowed not to go up again considering the performances were turgid and there was no apparent solution on the horizon.

You could go all on on MON & Keane but its all been said before and the FAI wont sack them, even at this stage sacking them isnt going to automatically yield magical results but if it meant we were competitive and played a bit of ball it would at least be a start.

Its all gone a bit poisonous under MON & Keane and I honestly cant fathom how MON has got any stock left at this stage, his last decent run was nearly a decade ago.

I went looking for it last night and then realised it was on Sky.

I moved on fairly quickly.

Think it worked out well for me.

lawred2 wrote: »
    I went looking for it last night and then realised it was on Sky.

I moved on fairly quickly.

Think it worked out well for me.

I asked the bar to turn on the Spain game, we were in our own function room but a few of the lads wanted to watch Ireland.

But ROI v NI was worse than watching paint dry and we were second best throughout.

Think of Stan.

Stan was known as one of the great Irish players of all time.
    A career that saw 3 world cups and lasted over a decade.

But what is he known for now ?

'I'm the gaffer

5-2 v Cyprus

1-2 win over San Marino (a late late Ireland goal getting the win)

O'Neill is heading the same way.
    It would definitely mean his managerial career ends in failure. I think he needs to consider that after the Denmark game on Monday. A team that can't score a goal is going nowhere.

If he stays on obviously I'll be hoping he can turn things around and qualify for 2020, it doesn't look like that with recent performances though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I can half see a nightmare scenario of Wales beating Denmark tonight and us going over there on Monday pulling off a scrappy 1-1 draw and finishing second by head to head.

O'Neill will declare hes great, it was his plan all along and we're in a fine position for Euro 2020 qualifiers ahead of next months draw.

We have to win over there, they have 4 points we only have 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Regardless of result I don't see any change in management coming up so I'll take that unlikely scenario.

Just hoping for some sunny destinations in the Euro qualifiers because I don't see us getting out of any group.

Genuinely think the Faroes would fancy themselves against us at the moment and probably get something too. Georgia are probably praying to get us and avenge all of the times we somehow managed to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

I don't understand why the vast majority of people seem to be calling for O'Neill to be sacked. The manager always seems to be an easy scapegoat. It's hardly his fault if a team of full time professional footballers can't string a few passes together, and do the basics right. Give us a break, the players have a lot to answer for aswell.

Conas wrote: »
    I don't understand why the vast majority of people seem to be calling for O'Neill to be sacked. The manager always seems to be an easy scapegoat. It's hardly his fault if a team of full time professional footballers can't string a few passes together, and do the basics right. Give us a break, the players have a lot to answer for aswell.

Vast majority arent blind or blinkered.

O'Neill is so far out of touch with the game today, that its beyond belief.

I'd guess he does little work with the group in a coaching capacity and probably has a set of instructions that he expects the players to follow.

The majority would accept mediocre hoofball if we won games, what you cant accept is a mixture of hoofball, no plan and getting beat and or outplayed by "inferior" opposition.

Expectations of the side are near as low as they've ever been, if we fail to qualify for the 2020 Euros and its very possible given our slump in the last 12/18 months, international football will probably have reached its lowest point in about 3 decades.

Well it's one of two things really.

Either O'Neill is sending them out to play like they are, or he's telling them to do something and they're not listening to him because he's lost the dressing room.

They don't suddenly turn into bad players when they pull on a green jersey.

Well it's one of two things really.

Either O'Neill is sending them out to play like they are, or he's telling them to do something and they're not listening to him because he's lost the dressing room.

They don't suddenly turn into bad players when they pull on a green jersey.

This, the players cant exactly play peak Barca, nor do we expect that, but they play like a pub side, even against the weakest opposition.

It starts to grate very quickly once the results are gone, theres just no joy in going to the games at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Then how come a team, whose entire population is only just over 500k larger than the population of county Dublin manage to do the basics rights or a string a few passes together with players, a few of them playing at league one level and teams in the SPL like Kilmarnock?

MON talks about our lack of a goal scorer, it's Northern Ireland who were missing a goal scorer and we were blessed that chances fell to Gavin Whyte and Jordan Jones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

What's O'Neill going on about not having a goal scorer for?...we cant even create chances, never mind put them away !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

In fairness to you you did qualify your post with "I don't understand why "

MON earned another campaign after Euro 16 but he has used up his credits now.

This last 14 months has been horrendous and there isn't any sign of that improving. If MON isn't going to change the approach and has lost the dressing room, what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

In fairness to you you did qualify your post with "I don't understand why "

MON earned another campaign after Euro 16 but he has used up his credits now.

This last 14 months has been horrendous and there isn't any sign of that improving. If MON isn't going to change the approach and has lost the dressing room, what's the point?

You are only addressing one part of my post. I was saying he's an easy scapegoat, and should the players not be held accountable for playing such poor football? A manager can't go out on the pitch and do that for them. These guys know what has to be done in a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,655 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

OK, a scrappy 1-0 then :o

Not a fcuking chance of that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

You are only addressing one part of my post. I was saying he's an easy scapegoat, and should the players not be held accountable for playing such poor football? A manager can't go out on the pitch and do that for them. These guys know what has to be done in a match.

That is simply not true. Plenty of players get criticised here. Some vitriolically and extremely unjustly. From Ward to McClean, from Hendrick to Whelan to Long.

There is, however a clear pattern as to how MON has instructed them to play, or not play. There is either no tactics or utter negative tactics. The proof is in the pudding with MON tactics, or lack thereof at this stage.

The question is what do you think MON has been doing right since the Welsh draw almost 2 years ago? We were blessed with the win against Austria in 2016 but after that we have nosedived.

The smash and grab win against Wales (which was still very commendable but far from perfect if you watch that game again and the result doesn't reflect the respective performances) has hidden a lot for many MON fans. Players have rotated but the manager hasn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement