Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to bank before broker - hurting future chances?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I got four AIP's, one through a broker. He caused more delays than anyone. There was no talk of 5 copies of anything, all was done via email, bar a couple of documents for one bank were requested as hard copies. Ulster Bank were able to process my application and come back with an approval within two days. I can't see a single reason to use a broker, unless you have difficulty meeting the banks criteria so have something you don't want to be seen by the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Naos wrote: »
    Hello,

I will be applying for a mortgage over the coming months and have already spoken with two banks that came into my workplace, fairly high-level stuff at the moment.

I was planning to visit a third bank this weekend - again just trying to suss it all out, ask questions and get a flavour for what they are like. When I will be more serious about buying (approx 3 months), I will be hitting up a few brokers as well.

Question is, should I be holding off on visiting banks directly for now? Will it hurt my chances for a broker applying on my behalf in the future?

Thanks

Why would it? You can talk to whomever you want

• Registered Users Posts: 15 thelastpogue

If we could go again I would 100% not use a broker. We just had a terrible experience with our one. We done most of the work for him, had to correct him several times on mistakes he was making and had made. Had to explain to him multiple times and in baby language why our savings were 10k short, the 10K was the booking deposit we paid and he couldn’t understand that it came off the final total! Filled in life insurance details incorrectly and had to redo all them for us, almost to the extent of delaying drawdown! He was a nightmare!
    Saying that we could have just had a bad experience, my sister used the same office 18months before me and had a great broker, we must have got the class dunce!
    Anyway if I was to go through it all again I would be going directly myself. Nothing will come up you can’t resolve!

Advertisement