Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build advice for 4k non-gaming

Options
  • 15-11-2018 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

I built my current PC about 8 years ago and want an upgrade now to support new 4k monitor (3840x2160@60Hz).
    4k monitor is for PS4 pro, and monitor shared between PS4 and PC. Not planning to do any gaming on PC, so thinking I could get away with decent onboard graphics rather than need separate graphics card?
    Do current onboard graphics support this resolution?

I like to build with good quality PSU and motherboard etc., so happy to pay more for those rather than go for cheapest option.

Currently have small SSD and 1TB raid setup for data, but think I'll go for simpler 1TB SSD this time and upgrade to a new 1TB external drive for backing up.

It's a long time since I kept up to date with PC hardware, so looking for some advice on build.

Thanks

1. What is your budget? €500-800

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Mostly Internet, some office apps

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Monitor and Keyboard/mouse

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 4k 3840 x 2160

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? New External backup drive

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Now / Black Friday

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    Build myself, although might think about getting someone else to do- I'm in Raheny, Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

I've looked into this myself now and it seems the Ryzen 5 2400G will happily do 4k @ 60hz via motherboard with HDMI 2.0, so I put this list of parts together.
    Does the below list look ok?
    Is 450W PSU more than adequate, with room for a GPU if I decide to add later?

Thanks.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3nCLHh
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3nCLHh/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£129.59 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£82.79 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda Compute 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£134.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£44.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £502.34

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Onboard graphics have supported 4k desktop since years, so yeah anything does tbh.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£129.59 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£72.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£82.79 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: ADATA - ULTIMATE SU650 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£116.67 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: RIOTORO - CR1080 ATX Mid Tower Case (£55.87 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £517.88
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-17 17:45 GMT+0000

You could even downgrade the CPU to 2200G (4cores/no hyperthreading) but that's up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Hi K.O.Kiki

Thanks for the build advice.
    Looking at the MSI board, it says only HDMI 1.4, so 4k resolution @ 30Hz, whereas Gigabyte one is HDMI 2.0 (does 60Hz), which is why I picked that one. Does that make sense ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've not used ryzen so I'm not up to date on that but I do have a media PC for 4k video playback.
    It's a skylake pentium paired with a GTX 1050 2GB
    For 4k video playback of H.265 this is perfect, ultraHD HDR video playback of blu ray rips. But I do have to close every background process down first.
    However for up scaling 720p or 1080p using MADVR it runs out of video memory, so I should have gone with a 4gb 1050.
    Not sure how onboard video fairs but it's something you might want to consider if you plan to do some very high level video up scaling playback. 2 GB vram is enough for some low/medium up scaling, which still looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

vicadd wrote: »
    Hi K.O.Kiki

Thanks for the build advice.
    Looking at the MSI board, it says only HDMI 1.4, so 4k resolution @ 30Hz, whereas Gigabyte one is HDMI 2.0 (does 60Hz), which is why I picked that one. Does that make sense ?

Aye my bad, MSI are annoying like that - the B450M Gaming has HDMI 2.0b, while the B450M Gaming Plus is listed as HDMI 1.4 :rolleyes:

DisplayPort is better than HDMI tho FYI

• Advertisement
Advertisement