Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E30 first project car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Dkhuts

Thats a good site and good prices thanks for that. OP I did up a e30 last year.....good luck its a money pit.

That's not what I was hoping to hear but sure it will be a lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

You have to remember you're talking about a car that is at least 25 years old. They were a very well made car, but there's no getting away from the age of them, or their fondness of rusting. At that age stuff is going to need to be done (like the suspension) so that they are usable as a modern classic.

I'd still be surprised if your head gasket was gone especially with the mileage yours is meant to be on. If you live near Cork, would you not bring it to Fionnsport and get his opinion on what's wrong with it?

If the engine is gone then putting an M20B25 will be the least amount of hassle, since that was available in the E30. The M50, M52 and M54 are also excellent engines, but will be a lot more hassle to do, since they were never available in the E30 and are much more modern from a technology and engine electronics point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'd still be surprised if your head gasket was gone especially with the mileage yours is meant to be on

Mine completely gave up at around 37k miles. Took about 33 years though... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I bought one cheaply a few years ago and as said before, if you want them right they will eat into your wallet.

Mines was originally a 320 and the previous owner fitted an m20b25. I would go with that as mentioned already as it will be most straightforward and they sound good and go well enough. I'd love an m54 in one but there's a fair bit of work in that.

Also if yours was originally a 316 then you might need to replace the gearbox (not sure on the box), but more than likely the diff. My diff was geared too short, meaning the car revved quite high when cruising. Swapped it out for an LSD unit, think it was a 3.66 or so Vs the 4.1 that was in it. This really helped sitting at 100kph as well as putting power down.

They are a great introduction to older stuff though, I enjoyed owning mine. They are great when they are going well, but then can break you down when there are issues with them. All part of the experience though.

You have to remember you're talking about a car that is at least 25 years old. They were a very well made car, but there's no getting away from the age of them, or their fondness of rusting. At that age stuff is going to need to be done (like the suspension) so that they are usable as a modern classic.

I'd still be surprised if your head gasket was gone especially with the mileage yours is meant to be on. If you live near Cork, would you not bring it to Fionnsport and get his opinion on what's wrong with it?

If the engine is gone then putting an M20B25 will be the least amount of hassle, since that was available in the E30. The M50, M52 and M54 are also excellent engines, but will be a lot more hassle to do, since they were never available in the E30 and are much more modern from a technology and engine electronics point of view.

Yeah it's an old car that i got fairly cheap so I'm not expecting miracles. I Doubt that the milage is correct but the engine sounds fairly healthy. Got a sniff test done to check if exhaust gases are leaking into the coolant and it seems okay. I'm in wicklow so cork is a bit of a treck. Thinking of just keeping the engine and if it does go then so be it, find a nice m20b25 and whack it in! The newer engines do sound tempting but rather keep it old school

• Advertisement

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I bought one cheaply a few years ago and as said before, if you want them right they will eat into your wallet.

Mines was originally a 320 and the previous owner fitted an m20b25. I would go with that as mentioned already as it will be most straightforward and they sound good and go well enough. I'd love an m54 in one but there's a fair bit of work in that.

Also if yours was originally a 316 then you might need to replace the gearbox (not sure on the box), but more than likely the diff. My diff was geared too short, meaning the car revved quite high when cruising. Swapped it out for an LSD unit, think it was a 3.66 or so Vs the 4.1 that was in it. This really helped sitting at 100kph as well as putting power down.

They are a great introduction to older stuff though, I enjoyed owning mine. They are great when they are going well, but then can break you down when there are issues with them. All part of the experience though.

It's gonna be an experience and like you said a great introduction. Still young and keen to learn so I'll try to work on it myself as much as possible. You're right about the diff, some knocking coming from it if I spin the wheels. Gonna run it through nct and see what they have to say about it. I'll keep this post updated with progress if any of yous are interested. Here's the latest photo I have of it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

As others have said, BMW's problem is the awful cooling system. Unless you know what you're doing, they're impossible to bleed. To keep your engine, new rad and stat and replace the crappy plastic links

Quick update, coolant bubbling issue ended up being just a faulty expansion tank so engine didn't have to be taken apart, happy days. Failed nct on a bit of corrosion, horn not working, leaking exhaust, driver seats not moving and front shocks... Not too bad. Only issue is the seats which are from am e36 so they're either just thrown in or jammed. Was looking at brackets for them buy couldn't find any for sale. Also for the shocks, made a separate threat but basically none of the shocks I've ordered in fit... diameter of the shock itself is 45mm and 42cm lenght but originally the car has a 45mm strut. All the shocks that I could source have been 38mm in diameter and 43.5cm in length. Ordered another set of 51mm strut Monroe for tomorrow so will see if they fit. This could be cause of the car being lowered perhaps or maybe it has a completely different front end. There were abs cables that were cut off just dangling there aswell.

Advertisement