If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a new TV.

Options
  • 16-11-2018 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭

Well the answer is no.... But ;)

So my set up at the moment is a very good TV, but probably close to 10 years old. A Sony KDL something or other. Cost about 1.5k when I bought it back in the day, pretty much top of the range back then. 1080 HD. Works perfect, great sound.. It's a TV. Nothing more. I think it's 40inch, but has a thick enough border around it.

I've a fire stick which I hardly ever use. I can cast to it, but to be honest I think I've done it about twice. Have Netflix on the stick. But mostly use my PS3 when watching Netflix.

I don't pay for TV. I pick up saorview on the TV.

But most use is my old sky+ HD box. UK card. So have all the free channels without having to go into other channels. UK card gives me the option to pause, rewind, record etc. But it also gives me the iplayer, ITV player, all4 and channel 5 player all handy on the box.

I have a sky go login. Use it the odd time for football, golf and a rare movie. Fire up the laptop and plug in the hdmi.

Oh yea and I've an old Sony 5.1 speaker system with sub woofer hooked up to the TV. Sound is great but rarely turn it on.

So....... If I'm to get a new TV it would need to be similar in size, though could get a bit bigger screen now I'm sure with the similar overall dimensions.
    Would move my current set up into the kids room.ps and all........ More chance I'll play it in there :)

Would look for a TV with saorview and a satellite tuner. Do any tvs come with these on the same EPG or do you have to switch different av modes all the time?
    Ability to record and pause live TV.
    Can we get iplayer, ITV player, all 4. Channel 5 player?

Would it be possible to plug my 5.1 speakers directly into the TV? They have standard old fashioned speaker cable.

Netflix, no real need for any other stuff like YouTube etc but I'm sure once it is smart it can do loads of stuff, but I would prefer it to not come with loads of crap on it that I don't want or need.

Sky go would be great.... I'd possible but I don't think it is? Or is it? Once I can plug my laptop in via hdmi it will do....

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Seve OB wrote: »
    Well the answer is no.... But ;)

So my set up at the moment is a very good TV,  but probably close to 10 years old.  A Sony KDL something or other.  Cost about 1.5k when I bought it back in the day, pretty much top of the range back then. 1080 HD. Works perfect, great sound.. It's a TV.  Nothing more. I think it's 40inch,  but has a thick enough border around it.

I've a fire stick which I hardly ever use.  I can cast to it,  but to be honest I think I've done it about twice.  Have Netflix on the stick. But mostly use my PS3 when watching Netflix.

I don't pay for TV. I pick up saorview on the TV.

But most use is my old sky+ HD box. UK card.  So have all the free channels without having to go into other channels. UK card gives me the option to pause,  rewind,  record etc.  But it also gives me the iplayer,  ITV player, all4 and channel 5 player all handy on the box.

I have a sky go login.  Use it the odd time for football,  golf and a rare movie.  Fire up the laptop and plug in the hdmi.

Oh yea and I've an old Sony 5.1 speaker system with sub woofer hooked up to the TV.  Sound is great but rarely turn it on.

So.......  If I'm to get a new TV it would need to be similar in size,  though could get a bit bigger screen now I'm sure with the similar overall dimensions.
    Would move my current set up into the kids room.ps and all........  More chance I'll play it in there :)

Would look for a TV with saorview and a satellite tuner. Do any tvs come with these on the same EPG or do you have to switch different av modes all the time?
    Ability to record and pause live TV.
    Can we get iplayer,  ITV player,  all 4. Channel 5 player?

Would it be possible to plug my 5.1 speakers directly into the TV? They have standard old fashioned speaker cable.

Netflix, no real need for any other stuff like YouTube etc but  I'm sure once it is smart it can do loads of stuff,  but I would prefer it to not come with loads of crap on it that I don't want or need.

Sky go would be great....  I'd possible but I don't think it is?  Or is it? Once I can plug my laptop in via hdmi it will do....
    Hi Seve OB.

We can always do with a new TV :D

It really depends on your budget.

I'll start by answering the speaker question about connecting them to the TV. 
    This is not possible as a television does not have any speaker connections. You would need to connect your speakers to an A/V receiver to get them to work and then connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI.
    They must currently be connected to some type of receiver if they are in use.

There is no TV I can think of that has both Sat and Saorview on the same EPG and must be switched between the two.
    LG and Sony do have both Sat and Saorview tuners build it.
    The smart features on any of the televisions we would sell will not allow you to get any of the UK catch up apps or freeview stations. (Some areas close to the boarder may pick up freeview).

The only way to record is onto external hard drive as again there are no televisions with built in storage that we would stock.

Your laptop can be connected via HDMI with no issues to allow you to display your skygo or what ever else you may be watching on the Laptop.

If you let me know your budget I can come up with a few options LG or Sony options for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

hmmmmmmmm… I'm thinking……. :)

Thanks for the reply Kenny,

Firstly, budget is not an issue.  Just don't want anything huge (well I do... but it won't fit :() and I've always been fond of Sony ;)  Quality ahead of anything else at the end of the day.

Yes my current speaker setup is hooked up via an AV cable.  I used to have a Sony TV (you remember them big huge CRT things :)) which I could plug a 5.1 surround sound system directly into.  It was brilliant.  I rarely turn on the external speakers now.

The Saorview / Sat split EPG is really a PITA, really just would prefer one EPG, but if there is nothing out there that combines them... well I guess I'm stuck with it.  Do you think it is something that will ever happen?  What is SaorSat?  Does that combine anything?

Recording on an external HD.. I don't mind that.  How does it work?  Does it plug in to a USB socket on the TV?  can you record other channels? Does the TV have to be turned on?  Does it do series link?  Can it record multiple channels at once? On the kids current TV, we can only record what they are watching, but that is a cheap walker.

Sky go, it is what it is... so I don't mind once I can still plug in my laptop.

Disappointing that none of the UK catch up Apps would work.  It is a nice bonus I got by accident when I cancelled Sky and stuck my cousins old UK card in to my Sky box to give me a proper EPG... and discovered it also gave us the Apps along with the pause/record functions.  To be honest, this is something we use a lot.

I've seen a few of the newer slim TV's set up in houses and I'm going to say the sound is terrible on them.  I'm talking, Panasonic, Sony, Bose TV's.  All top of the line, so I would expect better.  But maybe I'm missing something here, but it does seem to me you really have to have a sound bar or some speaker setup to make them sound anyway decent nowadays.  The sound is pretty good on my current model.  My cousin has a soundbar, but with his setup you have one remote for the tv, another for the sky box and another for the sound :(

Really what I want is to simplify my setup and reduce the amount of different boxes and cables and remotes I need for doing all sorts of different things.

It appears to me here that really all I might be doing is swapping out the TV and just being able to ditch the firestick (the smallest peripheral of them all) pity really :(

hmmmmmmmm… I'm thinking……. :)

Thanks for the reply Kenny,

Firstly, budget is not an issue.  Just don't want anything huge (well I do... but it won't fit :() and I've always been fond of Sony ;)  Quality ahead of anything else at the end of the day.

Yes my current speaker setup is hooked up via an AV cable.  I used to have a Sony TV (you remember them big huge CRT things :)) which I could plug a 5.1 surround sound system directly into.  It was brilliant.  I rarely turn on the external speakers now.

The Saorview / Sat split EPG is really a PITA, really just would prefer one EPG, but if there is nothing out there that combines them... well I guess I'm stuck with it.  Do you think it is something that will ever happen?  What is SaorSat?  Does that combine anything?

Recording on an external HD.. I don't mind that.  How does it work?  Does it plug in to a USB socket on the TV?  can you record other channels? Does the TV have to be turned on?  Does it do series link?  Can it record multiple channels at once?  On the kids current TV, we can only record what they are watching, but that is a cheap walker.

Sky go, it is what it is... so I don't mind once I can still plug in my laptop.

Disappointing that none of the UK catch up Apps would work.  It is a nice bonus I got by accident when I cancelled Sky and stuck my cousins old UK card in to my Sky box to give me a proper EPG... and discovered it also gave us the Apps along with the pause/record functions.  To be honest, this is something we use a lot.

I've seen a few of the newer slim TV's set up in houses and I'm going to say the sound is terrible on them.  I'm talking, Panasonic, Sony, Bose TV's.  All top of the line, so I would expect better.  But maybe I'm missing something here, but it does seem to me you really have to have a sound bar or some speaker setup to make them sound anyway decent nowadays.  The sound is pretty good on my current model.  My cousin has a soundbar, but with his setup you have one remote for the tv, another for the sky box and another for the sound :(

Really what I want is to simplify my setup and reduce the amount of different boxes and cables and remotes I need for doing all sorts of different things.

It appears to me here that really all I might be doing is swapping out the TV and just being able to ditch the firestick (the smallest peripheral of them all) pity really :(
    Hi Seve OB.

I can't think of any manufacture that have both Freeview (Saorivew) and Sat on the same EPG. I think this is down the it displaying on two separate tuners.
    Saorsat is the free to air satellite stations in the South of Ireland just like the UK Freesat. Again this would not be on the same EPG as Saorview.
    The Apps do not work as they are location locked and the ones you mention are UK only services.

For recording, yes you would connect the external HDD in the USB of the television, it would then act like your sky box and you can series link etc....
    The TV does not turned on but it does need switched on at the mains. If no power is going to the TV it will not record. To record two programmes at once you would need a TV which is dual/twin tuner.

Like you say most slim TV do not have the best of sound as there is very little room in the slim casing to have speakers like the old CRT's used to.
    Most people now a days will indeed go for a 5.1 setup or even a soundbar like your friend to get better sound quality.

Some higher end TV's do have upgraded audio like the LG OLED55C8PLA priced at 1899 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203216-lg-oled55c8pla-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-play.aspx

Sony's top LED would be the 55XF9005 which was 5 star reviewed in What HiFi priced at 1299 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203177-sony-kd55xf9005-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-android-tv-youview.aspx

If your Sky box runs on Scart you are eventually going to have to get ride of it as not very many if any TV have this connection any longer.
    Most television while have lots of features can not operate the way the likes of a sky or Virgin box would.
    You might end up have to go down the route of a Humax box for recording but again there would be no UK apps.

There would be no real way to simplify your current setup without replacing most of it.
    You could do away with your 5.1 setup like you say by moving it to a different room and then you could add a soundbar into the room with the new TV but you are going to lose the use of your Sky box if its connected via Scart. You could perhaps try and purchase a 2nd hand HDMI Sky box and add it to the mix.
    You could also purchase something like the Harmony Companion priced at 159.99 Euro which can be programmed to control several items.
    Or if you purchased all products from one manufacturers then they tend to allow one of the remotes to control features on the likes of their soundbars or 4K players.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

thanks for the reply Kenny

to be honest, I don't really think I am going to find what I am looking for.

So, while it would be nice to get a nice new shiny and slightly bigger TV, I really think, for the moment anyway, I am better staying with what I have as it does everything I need it to, while still giving me a very good HD picture.

thanks for the reply Kenny

to be honest, I don't really think I am going to find what I am looking for.

So, while it would be nice to get a nice new shiny and slightly bigger TV, I really think, for the moment anyway, I am better staying with what I have as it does everything I need it to, while still giving me a very good HD picture.
    No problem at all Seve OB.

Let me know if I can help any way in future.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.