Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you bring a group of Americans to show off Waterford?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Dunhill castle is totally wasted as it is, great place and doesn't need a 'bullsh*t story' it has a perfectly good and interesting history and legend.

Don't take them hiking up to Mahon Falls unless they are all able for and dressed for a walk in the mountains.

The Viking triangle is great and nicely paced with a stop for 'afternoon tea' somewhere would fill an afternoon nicely. Go and talk to people in the museum and the glass though, walk it through, check out timings. The VR thing is fun (though I thought the quality of the cgi was a bit patchy - you could see where different people had worked on different bits of it) and overall very good. You would want to check numbers as they are very exact as to how many they can take at a time. The videos in the Medieval museum are good too, I particularly like the one about the cloth of gold vestments. See if you can get someone local to give them a brief greeting while you have them seated in the video room.

I personally would skip the Bishop's Palace, but that is just a personal opinion - they base their talk on a lot of portraits, most of which are very average, not nearly as interesting as Reginald's tower and the medieval museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

You could do a quick visit to gaulstown dolmen,
    Just a few minutes outside the city. Reginalds tower is is a modern building in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

As part of a work function I may have to show a group of Americans around Waterford, take them to dinner, etc.. My manager suggested I take them to do or see things they wouldn't see in the states, such as castles. He then suggested combining Waterford Castle for dinner and the history, but this may be too expensive.

I'm only new to Waterford, so I'm not sure what would be the best way to show off the city and county to these american business folk - any recommendations?

What did you go for in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

looksee wrote: »
    Dunhill castle is totally wasted as it is, great place and doesn't need a 'bullsh*t story' it has a perfectly good and interesting history and legend.

Don't take them hiking up to Mahon Falls unless they are all able for and dressed for a walk in the mountains.

The Viking triangle is great and nicely paced with a stop for 'afternoon tea' somewhere would fill an afternoon nicely. Go and talk to people in the museum and the glass though, walk it through, check out timings. The VR thing is fun (though I thought the quality of the cgi was a bit patchy - you could see where different people had worked on different bits of it) and overall very good. You would want to check numbers as they are very exact as to how many they can take at a time. The videos in the Medieval museum are good too, I particularly like the one about the cloth of gold vestments. See if you can get someone local to give them a brief greeting while you have them seated in the video room.

I personally would skip the Bishop's Palace, but that is just a personal opinion - they base their talk on a lot of portraits, most of which are very average, not nearly as interesting as Reginald's tower and the medieval museum.

Good post but disagree about Mahon Falls. It's a paved walk from the car park to Mahon Falls so there's no need for hiking boots. It's a fairly doable walk for anybody really.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

We are very lucky in Waterford to have so much for visitors to see within 20 minutes of the City.

The Stunning Copper Coast is as good as anything on the much vaunted Wild Atlantic Way, fantastic beaches & coves.

Mahon Falls walk makes The Comeraghs accessible to a large degree,

Dunmore East is one of Ireland's nicest seaside towns.

The Waterford Greenway, especially the Durrow tunnel section is amazing.

Lismore Castle & Ballysaggart Towers & the Blackwater Valley are stunning.

& that's before mentioning the Viking Triangle& the history of Ireland's Oldest City.

Don't mind the jealous Tipp & KK crowd & their insecurities, UP THE DEISE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

comeraghs wrote: »
    Dunmore East is one of Ireland's nicest seaside towns.

A bit of a snobby vibe though. Of all the places I visited outside of Waterford, I really got a "im better than you" attitude from a lot of the staff and locals in the hotels and restaurants in Dunmore East, kind of like they think Dunmore East is the be all and end all for fishing villages when really, if they looked outside their own ar*e, they would see Tramore, Annestown and Ardmore are infinitely more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

gw80 wrote: »
    You could do a quick visit to gaulstown dolmen,
    Just a few minutes outside the city. Reginalds tower is is a modern building in comparison.

Anything older than 200 years and the yanks are amazed.

I like the dolmen idea.

Do a bit of reading of our city walls and walk them along the route telling them about our history, finsih up a reginalds town, then move on to the medevil museum followed by a few pints and job done.

If you have a lot more time, I think this thread is full of great ideas. You should be spoiled for choice at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Azatadine wrote: »
    Passage East car ferry across and visit Hook lighthouse/Lotus Hall and Tintern Abbey. Americans love this.

I drive this regularly and I still love it. The views from passage are stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

914 wrote: »
    Anything older than 200 years and the yanks are amazed.

I like the dolmen idea.

Do a bit of reading of our city walls and walk them along the route telling them about our history, finsih up a reginalds town, then move on to the medevil museum followed by a few pints and job done.

If you have a lot more time, I think this thread is full of great ideas. You should be spoiled for choice at this stage.

If that's true they would love St. Patrick's Gateway Centre. The current church is over 300 years old and the graveyard has graves that date from 1700 - 1860. Also they can see the City's Norman Walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

A trip out to Dunmore to do the cliff walk and see the village, with a meal or pints in the Strand, or the Doneraile walk in Tramore also good options.

A trip on the car Ferry to passage , check out a pub Kings Bay in, a pub called the Local Pub and swing back in to Jack Meades into the cottage on the way back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

johnnykilo wrote: »
    So they can see how life was like 200 years ago? Good idea! :D

Lol, a post so good I read it twice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Depending on what part of the states they are from, they may have scenery on their doorstep to match or exceed what we have. What they wont have is the history and that's what I'd focus on.

They wont have the 14th century civic rolls and they wont have Henry IIIV artifacts or civic buildings from the Tower era.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Do you what? From all these recommendations, I reckon that the OP will need to bring these Americans back for a week at least! There really is such a lot to do and see in the area, say within a 25 mile radius of the city. Of course, most of us know all about these places but sometimes they slip our minds so it's good to have a thread to remind ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gotfoodforphil

Sorry to all for the late reply, but thank you so much for the great ideas!
    The Americans aren’t coming until after Christmas, but i’ll Now have more than enough to entertain them with. And there’s also plenty of things I can do myself to get to see more of Waterford. Thanks again! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Once the 'American' doesn't try to buy a field somewhere in Waterford they should be fine lol. A lot of lads in the country may not take too kindly to them ha. Only joking

Really is a lot to do in Waterford City and County

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Sorry to all for the late reply, but thank you so much for the great ideas!
    The Americans aren’t coming until after Christmas, but i’ll Now have more than enough to entertain them with. And there’s also plenty of things I can do myself to get to see more of Waterford. Thanks again! ��

What they might be interested in could vary a lot.
    Maybe they will not have any interest at all in pubs and the like.
    What about theatre?
    Would they like outdoor pursuits? Greenway cycle or walk?
    Visit some small fishing villages? Dunmore East, Passage?
    Visit Tramore ...... walk on beach etc.
    Ferry to Duncannon ..... lighthouse visit?
    Golf?
    Hurling game or two?

It really will depend on their preferences ..... which you might have time to find out now their visit is after Xmas.

Lots of options, but would be good if you knew what they might prefer.

Advertisement