Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai target organised begging in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I was working with a Romanian guy on a contract last year. He used to tell me crazy stories about how the local Romanians and Roma gypsies would interact.

He said once about 8-10 years ago, a bunch of Roma gypsies beat up and killed a local man on the day of his wedding or something to that effect.

The locals, not putting up with that **** went to the village where the Roma's lived killed about a dozen of them and burned the rest out.
    Not sure how true it is. He tells me stuff like that goes on all the time but is rarely reported but the locals will know the ins and out. A bit like our own dealings with Travellers. There are lots of local stories (Ok, not that extreme to the one I mentioned) but they rarely make the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I was about to start a thread on something similar, I see a lot of Irish bums being very aggressive to, swinging out of you looking for a few bob out of your pocket. Especially around D2 car parks, it's not just the other specific foreign crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Thankfully I don't see many homeless or beggars where i am from, but I was in Galway city on Wednesday and I saw someone sitting outside a Tesco express with a filthy quilt over them. It was very cold out and she looked like she needed help. Irish nationality too, so I went up to her and offered to buy her a cup of tea or coffee and a sandwich.

She didn't take my offer very well and lost the plot. Started throwing rubbish she had in a bag beside her at me and cursing me out of it. I just walked on because I didn't know what to say or do. Now I don't hold anything against her, she must be going through stuff I can't even comprehend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

My dope of a mother gave money to one of them, awhile later the same beggar was back in different clothing begging again off her...

These beggars also drug their children to keep them asleep to work on a pity angle.

Seriously loathe Romas.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DaintyDavy

Its seriously one of the down sides of the free movement of people in Europe, we know for a fact these people are coming with no other intention but to commit crime, and theres not a damn thing we can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

DaintyDavy wrote: »
    Its seriously one of the down sides of the free movement of people in Europe, we know for a fact these people are coming with no other intention but to commit crime, and theres not a damn thing we can do about it.

We export our own travelling criminal gangs to even it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I was parked outside the Rotunda a couple of weeks ago and there was a Roma woman in her 50’s sitting on the ground just up from the hospital doors. She wasn’t aggressive at all, just said hello, smiled and shook her cup but scowled at everyone that passed her by without putting something in it. Which was just about everyone that passed.

I was there for about an hour and of all the people that passed, the only ones to give anything were a pair of junkies, man and woman, turned back after a quick discussion and gave her a few coins.

We export our own travelling criminal gangs to even it out.

Ah grand so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tbh, this is not really an effect of EU movement, but of affluence.

Even if we were completely independent border-wise, these people would still arrive here, attracted by our wealth.

It's a balancing act in any case; lock down your borders and the bad people can't get in. But neither can the good people. And without the good people we'd still be that poor sh1tty backwater from the 1970s.

So one has to accept that any measure which allows an economy to grow, always has a negative impact to be accounted for. There isn't a country in the world which has allowed inward migration and kept out the criminals. Even countries with famously strict border controls like the US and Australia, have a problem with immigrant criminality. It's part-and-parcel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I was about to start a thread on something similar, I see a lot of Irish bums being very aggressive to, swinging out of you looking for a few bob out of your pocket. Especially around D2 car parks, it's not just the other specific foreign crowd.

I had one sitting beside an atm last saturday ask me if i could spare €50. When i said no he progressively dropped his demand down until he got to €5. He stopped after that so clearly didnt want to spoil his personage with common coin. He called me a wanker as he walked off.

seamus wrote: »
    Tbh, this is not really an effect of EU movement, but of affluence.

Even if we were completely independent border-wise, these people would still arrive here, attracted by our wealth.

It's a balancing act in any case; lock down your borders and the bad people can't get in. But neither can the good people. And without the good people we'd still be that poor sh1tty backwater from the 1970s.

So one has to accept that any measure which allows an economy to grow, always has a negative impact to be accounted for. There isn't a country in the world which has allowed inward migration and kept out the criminals. Even countries with famously strict border controls like the US and Australia, have a problem with immigrant criminality. It's part-and-parcel.

but even with EU free movement is there not a requirement that they are able to support themselves through employment?

Yeap, UAE, Suadi Arabia and Qatar have a massive Roma problem on their hands as well.

*cough* UAE *cough*

but even with EU free movement is there not a requirement that they are able to support themselves through employment?
    There's no border check, so any such requirement is moot. Once a person is in the country, they're in.

The majority of illegal immigrants enter any country through holiday, student or temporary working visas.

It's basically impossible to stop these people even with border checks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yes there is, it's never enforced though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have no money to give; but I would never see anyone go hungry.

You're deluding yourself if you think there's anyone in this country that can't afford to feed themselves on €200 a week. There are no genuine beggars here.

• Advertisement

Ill be in town this evening and it will be interesting to see if these arrests had much of an effect. They all seem to meet up on Moore Street around 5pm every day. Ive seen up to a hundred of them sitting on the ground or lying on the ground.

markodaly wrote: »
    Yeap, UAE, Suadi Arabia and Qatar have a massive Roma problem on their hands as well.

*cough* UAE *cough*
    The UAE has problems with Filipino gangs.

In any case, unless you want to go back to "guilty until proven innocent" and totalitarian police states, the middle east is not a model of immigration we want to imitate.

There's no border check, so any such requirement is moot. Once a person is in the country, they're in.

The majority of illegal immigrants enter any country through holiday, student or temporary working visas.

It's basically impossible to stop these people even with border checks.

I'm not saying stop them. I'm saying deport them when we find them. anybody the gardai arrested will just be released back on the streets to continue doing the same thing. we should be deporting them back where they came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Kilkenny City had a big begging problem back in the 2000s, Roma gangs would drive them down from Dublin for the day.
    There would be beggars on High st, on the steps linking to Kieran St, and beggars near the ATM machines, beggars at the car park pay machines, it was getting really bad before it was cleaned up.
    It was like overnight they just disappeared.
    Kilkenny's two biggest income sources are agriculture and tourism, and no one wants tourists visiting and falling over beggars (bad enough for the locals) as there was like beggars everywhere when it was at its worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

BeerWolf wrote: »
    My dope of a mother gave money to one of them, awhile later the same beggar was back in different clothing begging again off her...

These beggars also drug their children to keep them asleep to work on a pity angle.

Seriously loathe Romas.

Seriously fabricated.

Just a reminder that we had a young Roma girl bundled into a car on Pearse Street by an Irish thug. She was taken up to the Dublin mountains and beaten to death. Her teeth were totally smashed in. One of the investigating Gardai said he never saw anything like the savagery.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying stop them. I'm saying deport them when we find them. anybody the gardai arrested will just be released back on the streets to continue doing the same thing. we should be deporting them back where they came from.
    I agree completely, and I'm not sure what the formal process is here. I expect there's an issue of identification; how can you send them back home if they won't tell you where "home" is.

And then you have procedural issues around how long you're permitted to hold someone, where you hold them, etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

*cough* UAE *cough*

Isn’t that where Daniel Kinnehan lives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I know I’ve mentioned here before that I volunteer with a rough sleeper team. The funny thing is, a lot of who we meet wouldn’t actually beg or ‘tap’ as it’s known. Drug addicts refer to ‘tapping’ as going to work and money that is given for a ‘hostel’ never actually goes to the hostel it keeps the drug and drink trade going. You will see people beg at Jervis or Abbey Luas stop then jump the Luas as far as James’ Hospital to buy a fix.

The only real way to stop begging is to make it not worthwhile, no point in the Gardai arresting and charging people if Joe Public still feels the need to put money in a cup or whatever. If you want to feel better and do something give your time to a service or donate clothes or money to one of the various charities. The money you give to the beggar will likely end up in the pocket of somebody like Christy Kinihan

Odelay wrote: »
    Isn’t that where Daniel Kinnehan lives?
    Yeah, but he's got white skin and isn't begging, so that's different. The UAE doesn't mind criminals once they have loads of money. In fact, it loves them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Chinasea wrote: »
    Seriously fabricated.

Just a reminder that we had a young Roma girl bundled into a car on Pearse Street by an Irish thug. She was taken up to the Dublin mountains and beaten to death. Her teeth were totally smashed in. One of the investigating Gardai said he never saw anything like the savagery.

Something bad happend to one of them so we have to put up with the rest of them theiving?

In any case, unless you want to go back to "guilty until proven innocent" and totalitarian police states, the middle east is not a model of immigration we want to imitate.

Ah, so your grand old statement turns out to be false. Fine so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Chinasea wrote: »
    Seriously fabricated.

yes a roma girl was murdered.

however her body was dug up years later. The corpse would have been rotten. I doubt the garda investigating saw any savagery tbh.

but carry on...it makes a good post

Ah, so your grand old statement turns out to be false. Fine so.
    Eh, no. Read it again. Name a single country in the world which allows immigration and successfully keeps out criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'm afraid this is the way it's going or has gone rather. The SJW's now consider every social demographic as a race including the criminal demographics and we will rue the day we didn't stop this nonsense when it started. I personally find this kind of stuff infuriating for it's nastyness towards good ppl, it's stupidity, it's social destructiveness in that the attitude serves to protect undesirables whether this is intention or not, and most of all the reason one is motivated to make such remarks which clearly is virtue signalling. Kitty Holland is off a class of ppl that I utterly despise as much I could despise any other class of criminal.

You are on the money and not a word wrong in that post.

You have to convert that at the ballot box though. Common sense candidates need to emerge to push this shíte back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There is also the cases of where they use dogs for begging. I've read this week that the police seized a dog from one of them, following concerned members of the public reporting it, the puppies are drugged to keep them docile. Horrible people.

I used to travel on the Red Line Luas and they would get on heading into town begging. They also pickpocketed on the Luas. One morning they circled me, knew what they were at. So I just shouted fck off away from me, in my loudest voice. They moved off pretty sharpish.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

Hoboo wrote: »
    Ok Ill bite. The aquaduct.........:D

Lol? Roma gypsies from india arent the roman empire

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

2 completely separate issues.

Lol? Roma gypsies from india arent the roman empire

I think you lost track of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Er, eat it?

I have done that when one in Donegal Town begged me to buy her lunch.
    She was delighted/

The same one used ti come to my market stall with her baby,crying, "no milk... no Pampers.." I sent her off to V de Paul

She also saw I had a large flagon of milk in my car and chased me down the road.... I took refuge in the bank!

Pretty sure it was a sarcastic comment.......

however her body was dug up years later. The corpse would have been rotten. I doubt the garda investigating saw any savagery tbh.

What was the story with that murder? Did they ever find out how or why it happend?

What was the story with that murder? Did they ever find out how or why it happend?

The girl was vulnerable and the guy, whoever he was, a psycho.. The main suspect was found not guilty a few years ago, not enough evidence

She was repeatedly raped, shot in the head 4 times then dumped in a shallow grabe in the mountains, that's pretty savage. Your wish to downplay it says a lot about you tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

jimmurt wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was a sarcastic comment.......

No it was not. Far from it.

Their first plea was that I take them to a cafe and buy them lunch. Tried to drag me in

makes sense too. How much of the money they beg goes to the kids food?

They never asked for money; just food. Which I gave gladly.

But this was donegal town not dublin. and 9 0r 1o years ago and always it was the men who were aggressive to the kids . One little lad was being made to play the violin and passers by were shouting at him. I went to the Gardai that time.

No it was not. Far from it.

Their first plea was that I take them to a cafe and buy them lunch. Tried to drag me in

makes sense too. How much of the money they beg goes to the kids food?

They never asked for money; just food. Which I gave gladly.

But this was donegal town not dublin. and 9 0r 1o years ago and always it was the men who were aggressive to the kids . One little lad was being made to play the violin and passers by were shouting at him. I went to the Gardai that time.

Nobody on this site believes a word you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nobody on this site believes a word you say.

You speak for every user here, wow :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Muahahaha wrote: »
    You speak for every user here, wow :rolleyes:

He speaks for me, and a fair few more.

Just doesn't ring true I'd respectfully suggest - it's like reading the soundtrack to Fiddler or Oliver and doesn't accurately reflect the reality of life here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Er, eat it?

I have done that when one in Donegal Town begged me to buy her lunch.
    She was delighted/

The same one used ti come to my market stall with her baby,crying, "no milk... no Pampers.." I sent her off to V de Paul

She also saw I had a large flagon of milk in my car and chased me down the road.... I took refuge in the bank!

This. This attitude is so annoying.

Ireland is awash with food. Ireland has food in abundance. You literally cannot go hungry in Ireland. There are dedictaed folk to making sure you don't go hungry. There are soup kitchens. There are the simon community who go out and feed people on a nightly/daily basis.

There is no reason for anyone to complain about food in Ireland it is everywhere. All you literally have to do is sit and wait or go and ask at the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The girl was vulnerable and the guy, whoever he was, a psycho.. The main suspect was found not guilty a few years ago, not enough evidence

A truly deranged psychopath by all accounts. Also a chief suspect in the disappearance of Trevor Deely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'm afraid this is the way it's going or has gone rather. The SJW's now consider every social demographic as a race including the criminal demographics and we will rue the day we didn't stop this nonsense when it started. I personally find this kind of stuff infuriating for it's nastyness towards good ppl, it's stupidity, it's social destructiveness in that the attitude serves to protect undesirables whether this is intention or not, and most of all the reason one is motivated to make such remarks which clearly is virtue signalling. Kitty Holland is off a class of ppl that I utterly despise as much I could despise any other class of criminal.

The Alt-Right are trying to put decency into the 'ah look at yer man with his helping those less fortunate like a big ejit, the big ejit' category.
    Worse case scenario we're too nice, the alternate is being a self serving shower of Fine Gaelers.
    I'm okay with the 'SJW's'. Didn't they use to be part of Public Enemy? Flava flav!!!!!

The Alt-Right are trying to put decency into the 'ah look at yer man with his helping those less fortunate like a big ejit, the big ejit' category.
    Worse case scenario we're too nice, the alternate is being a self serving shower of Fine Gaelers.
    I'm okay with the 'SJW's'. Didn't they use to be part of Public Enemy? Flava flav!!!!!

Except the money these big eejits hand over is going to people that have even more money than them in the first place.

I can understand though a lot of people hand over money just to make themselves feel better. They are part of the problem though unfortunatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

chrissb8 wrote: »
    This. This attitude is so annoying.

Ireland is awash with food. Ireland has food in abundance. You literally cannot go hungry in Ireland. There are dedictaed folk to making sure you don't go hungry. There are soup kitchens. There are the simon community who go out and feed people on a nightly/daily basis.

There is no reason for anyone to complain about food in Ireland it is everywhere. All you literally have to do is sit and wait or go and ask at the right place.

In Dublin in this decade, yes. In Donegal ten years ago, far less. There was nothing except v de paul. None of the resources you list.

Some of us who knew this gave what we could in the ways we could. These were families known to the Gardai .

Old folk go hungry too; hence the number of meals on wheels and associated lunch clubs. Children get to school hungry, hence the number of breakfast clubs

Gap between big cities and rural.

I have no idea what the family dynamics in the Roma were or are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Handing money to Roma on the street is literally fueling an organised crime syndicate. You might as well be buying smack on the boardwalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

She was repeatedly raped, shot in the head 4 times then dumped in a shallow grabe in the mountains, that's pretty savage. Your wish to downplay it says a lot about you tbh

you should re-read my post cos you didnt read it properly.

Better still I'll spoonfeed you so you dont misunderstand...

the original poster said the garda hadnt seen such savagery...I replied the garda couldnt have seen much as the corpse was in the ground so long....clearly paraphrasing here...so maybe re-read the post...

none of my comment was about the murder itself...it was about the hyperbole of the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Every time I pass one of those Roma dudes/dudettes I drive them a good kick in the face.

Every. Single.Time.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Last week down Shop Street in Galway there was one of these Roma beggars sitting down outside beside McDonalds, anyway this silly young lad with green hair goes up and asks the beggar does he want a burger and yer man says “no no me want money” and the liberal young lad says I can’t give you money but I’ll get you a burger.

We need to educate these silly teenagers and people in general not to buy or give these Roma beggars anything, in a bid to look kind and not racist

• Advertisement
Advertisement