Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hole In The Wall

Options
  • 16-11-2018 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I'm genuinely baffled about how those horrible cynical pr*cks get away with enabling dangerous and disgusting braindead binge-drinking free-for-alls like Donegal Tuesday, 'Christmas Day', etc...?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

kweeveen86 wrote: »
    I'm genuinely baffled about how those horrible cynical pr*cks get away with constantly serving underage punters (for DECADES now!) and enabling dangerous and disgusting braindead binge-drinking free-for-alls like Donegal Tuesday, 'Christmas Day', etc...?!?

Get turned away by any chance?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It was an absolsute sh*t show in town last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Guards prefer to have all the pigeons roosting in the one place.

Colleges aren't hard-assed enough about scheduling compulsory tests the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kweeveen86

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It was an absolsute sh*t show in town last night.

It was nuts. Actually, from early yesterday morning onwards there were casualties in Christmas jumpers strewn around the town!

I heard that the College Bar pulled the plug on it last year because it was too messy and destructive and who was there to helpfully step into the breach only the friendly folks down at The Hole In The Wall....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

It was nuts. Actually, from early yesterday morning onwards there were casualties in Christmas jumpers strewn around the town!

I heard that the College Bar pulled the plug on it last year because it was too messy and destructive and who was there to helpfully step into the breach only the friendly folks down at The Hole In The Wall....

What do you suggest they should do? Close for the day when the Students' Christmas Day is on?
    I'm not at all supporting mindless binge drinking, but I fail to see how the blame for it can be laid at the door of one establishment.
    For example Aldi Westside was overrun with students in Christmas jumpers buying slabs if Galahad and I am sure other pubs, apart from the Hole in the Wall, were frequented, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

What is this students "Christmas Day" malarkey? I don't think it was a thing when I was in NUIG in the early Noughties.

What do you suggest they should do? Close for the day when the Students' Christmas Day is on?
    I'm not at all supporting mindless binge drinking, but I fail to see how the blame for it can be laid at the door of one establishment.
    For example Aldi Westside was overrun with students in Christmas jumpers buying slabs if Galahad and I am sure other pubs, apart from the Hole in the Wall, were frequented, too.

Apply the licensing laws.

Its illegal to serve anyone who is drunk. So chuck 'em out.

I'm not laying the blame for 'Christmas Day' solely at their door as I know it takes place in different colleges all around the country.

I'm just talking about their general modus operandi.

Instead of putting any effort into trying to run a decent establishment, they cynically rely on these one-off binge-drinking days like Paddy's Day, themed days in Rag Week, etc. It's HQ and the first port of call on those days.

There actually are not many pubs around the city that p*ssed students would be allowed to frequent in their droves. Most establishments have more sense and respect for themselves, their other clientele and the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Is all this fuss about a few first year students who are a few months away from being 18? Better they keep to their own bars that tolerate them than invade mine. Student caravan! Deploy the troops!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

It was a decision by the university, not the College Bar. I personally think they should be keeping these things going on-campus so it's not spread out everywhere. This current stance they seem to have adopted of disowning all responsibility is poor form, decreases student safety and only serves to let the university say "not our problem". It also increases demand on Guarda resources instead of the university ponying up.

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    It was a decision by the university, not the College Bar. I personally think they should be keeping these things going on-campus so it's not spread out everywhere. This current stance they seem to have adopted of disowning all responsibility is poor form, decreases student safety and only serves to let the university say "not our problem". It also increases demand on Guarda resources instead of the university ponying up.

True. If it's a college thing, then keep it at that or cancel it altogether and have it happen nowhere. Washing their hands of it is a total cop-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

True. If it's a college thing, then keep it at that or cancel it altogether and have it happen nowhere. Washing their hands of it is a total cop-out.

If they had it on-campus people would lambast them for encouraging drunkeness, but if they don't people lambast them for washing their hands of it. They kinda can't win in this situation.

I saw a suggestion up there that the college should have mandatory tests the next day, as if that would stop anything. It would just happen on another day on the calendar in that case. The desire of people to have a big piss up shouldn't be underestimated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

College cancelled Rag Week, students still go out and get hammered on the week every year.

College cancelled Rag Week, students still go out and get hammered on the week every year.

Yeah, NUIG cancelled Rag Week and who happily stepped into the breach? The Hole In The Wall!

Students have two big blow outs a year. End of November for this Christmas party thing, and again during Rag Week.

It stinks of "Back in my day..."

Students have been carrying on like this for as far back as I can remember, and then some.
    I had a lecturer in college who used reminisce about his Rag Week escapades.

I'd ask ye all to let the Students be, but then you'd find something else to moan about.
    Of all the forums on boards, the Galway City one seems to contain a ridiculous percentage of complainers. Surprisingly, this percentage is the complete opposite of what you actually meet around the City itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'm not laying the blame for 'Christmas Day' solely at their door .

I never heard of that pub being mentioned in the Bible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

I have no issue with anybody going out and getting locked if that's they way they want to spend their time, do think there is a wider issue with our relationship with alcohol in this country but that's not for discussion here.

RAG (raise and give) Week *was* traditionally a week based around raising money for charity with some added high jinks. I am too young to remember such a time and it has always been about students getting extremely drunk.

Arghus wrote: »
    If they had it on-campus people would lambast them for encouraging drunkeness, but if they don't people lambast them for washing their hands of it. They kinda can't win in this situation.

Why are they the only two options? I'd like to see them engage with these events but try and move the focus away from just getting as drunk as possible. They have a responsibility to their students that they're ignoring and should be called on.

Students have two big blow outs a year. End of November for this Christmas party thing, and again during Rag Week.

It stinks of "Back in my day..."

Students have been carrying on like this for as far back as I can remember, and then some.
    I had a lecturer in college who used reminisce about his Rag Week escapades.

I'd ask ye all to let the Students be, but then you'd find something else to moan about.
    Of all the forums on boards, the Galway City one seems to contain a ridiculous percentage of complainers. Surprisingly, this percentage is the complete opposite of what you actually meet around the City itself.

Ironic that you're moaning on boards about moaners on boards :D
    I have no issue with anybody going out and getting locked if that's they way they want to spend their time, do think there is a wider issue with our relationship with alcohol in this country but that's not for discussion here.

RAG (raise and give) Week *was* traditionally a week based around raising money for charity with some added high jinks. I am too young to remember such a time and it has always been about students getting extremely drunk.

Legend has it that the pubs around town used to donate their profits for the week to charity too.

It's the 15th of freaking NOVEMBER. Not even Christmas month.

College needs to make their courses far harder.

Holidays are when they should be having blowouts, not during term time.

What does the relative difficulty of a course have to do with unofficial parties?

• Advertisement

Ah, relax. People should be allowed an amount of fun while in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yeah, NUIG cancelled Rag Week and who happily stepped into the breach? The Hole In The Wall!
    And Paddy's, Fibbers, Skeff, Barr an Chaladh, Richardson's, McGettigans etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

what is the point of this thread?

skinny90 wrote: »

Giving out about students, y'know the usual stuff.

I think someone should create a petition on facebook banning students having fun in the city...oh and curse the hole in the wall, that will show them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

It was like something from the walking dead yesterday so it was.

Broken glass all over the footpaths, young wans falling out onto the road, vomit everywhere.

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    It was like something from the walking dead yesterday so it was.

Broken glass all over the footpaths, young wans falling out onto the road, vomit everywhere.

and race week is any different??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

skinny90 wrote: »

OP got to complain and got the satisfaction of replies because nobody else would give a sh!t. It's a uni-town, ffs.

xckjoo wrote: »
    What does the relative difficulty of a course have to do with unofficial parties?

They've too much time on their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They've too much time on their hands.
    What about all the middle-aged suit jacket/jeans/brown shoes contingent that greatly outnumber any Rag Week crowd and wreck the city every single Race Week with vomit, piss and thousands of dropped chips? Imagine the time they must have on their hands. They get a free pass for seemingly "contributing to the local economy" for the week whereas the majority of these students study here, live here, shop here but are to be sent to the guillotine for what was imo a rather well-behaved pissup.

Mrs O'Bumble we literally had lads from my course ringing up Liveline because Hole in the Wall wouldn't let them in on Donegal Tuesday. It's much better behaved now. 2 heavy drinking days (Christmas and Donegal Tuesday) out of 365 is not bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement