Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hole In The Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Closing this thread for now while we give it a once over

Right no discussion of perceived illegal behaviour allowed obviously

Keep it civil and everyone will be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

LucyBliss wrote: »
    because some pub is running a promotion.

I'm talking about pub promotions aimed at students

just because some pub wants to make money off them with a new gimmick.

Did the Hole in the Wall actually run any promotion for this or have any drink specials to entice students to go there? Quick look at facebook shows that they didn't even mention the day on their feed. Can they really be blamed if a load of people showed up in the bar on opening hours and stayed there for the day? Show me any bar owner that will say no to a group of people spending money in their establishment for the day, without any advertisement, and I'll show you a liar.

Christmas Day has always been a staple NUIG Students Union event, run on college grounds. Even 10 years ago it was. And it was a big event too, where you had to queue early to get into the College Bar for entry and it was worth it. There may have been an overflow of people who couldn't get into the College Bar and went to various pubs throughout town. Now I know that the last few years, large groups have decided to skip the College Bar and instead all meet in a smaller group of pubs but to say that pubs in town are creating and running this event is totally misinformed.

Maybe you should accurately direct your anger towards the establishment that created the event, and then cancelled it and thus directing everyone into pubs in town instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I did Physics and electronics, lived at home, had a well paid weekend/summer job and had plenty of time for heavy drinking (without having any impact on my course) and had no problem affording it. Thursday was alwasy the big night out and we rarely had any college at all Friday as we were a small class and negotiated with our lecturers to do extra classes earlier in the week so I could drink like a fish Thursday night........ and do a days work in my job on the Friday to fund it :pac:

You were very lucky so to have the money and security to do it you would be in a small minority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

I heard they all turned up for Christmas Day in The Hole In The Wall because the college bar turned started charging/increased tickets? for Christmas Day and so the students went into town instead. I was in college up until a few years ago and Christmas Day was a college bar thing only.

Another story that makes me laugh about premises in Galway. Donegal Tuesday was started by a few who regularly drank in The Hole In The Wall. Told their mates to all meet there in their jerseys etc, however after when they tried to go to nightclubs in the town they could not get in. Now the same nightclubs promote the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I heard they all turned up for Christmas Day in The Hole In The Wall because the college bar turned started charging/increased tickets? for Christmas Day and so the students went into town instead. I was in college up until a few years ago and Christmas Day was a college bar thing only.

Another story that makes me laugh about premises in Galway. Donegal Tuesday was started by a few who regularly drank in The Hole In The Wall. Told their mates to all meet there in their jerseys etc, however after when they tried to go to nightclubs in the town they could not get in. Now the same nightclubs promote the night!
    The university insisted the college bar/students union limit the numbers attending christmas day because of safety concerns a few years back. So to do that you had to purchase tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

The university insisted the college bar/students union limit the numbers attending christmas day because of safety concerns a few years back. So to do that you had to purchase tickets.

Ah I see! I assumed there was a safety concern to it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The university has clearly been trying to distance and disengage from all student related events for a while now. They can handle those numbers easily if they want to but they're more concerned with their reputation than student safety. I think it all started around the time Rag Week started making national news, or maybe it was one Novena attender too many complaining.

Nearly certain it's been banned outright by the university this year. Students Union have been toothless yes men for a while now so they just accept what they're told. If he was dead, Michael D would be spinning in his grave at the carry on :D

xckjoo wrote: »
    Nah. That might have been the excuse but the university has clearly been trying to distance and disengage from all student related events for a while now. They can handle those numbers easily if they want to (e.g. only allow a safe number of people inside the bar....). Their more concerned with their reputation than student safety. I think it all started around the time Rag Week started making national news, or maybe it was one Novena attender too many complaining.

Nearly certain it's been banned outright by the university this year. Students Union have been toothless yes men for a while now so they just accept what they're told. If he was dead, Michael D would be spinning in his grave at the carry on :D
    It was getting out of hand at the bar though. One year in particular was bonkers. Xmas 2015 in 15/16 year in particular on campus. It isnt simply about reputation.
    SU far from toothless at this. Simply would have lost out in more valuable areas if the practice continued.

It was getting out of hand at the bar though. One year in particular was bonkers. Xmas 2015 in 15/16 year in particular on campus. It isnt simply about reputation.
    SU far from toothless at this. Simply would have lost out in more valuable areas if the practice continued.

That's the spin but the university is just taking the piss. The SU has been useless for years. Give them a position on a committee to make them feel good and just steam roll ahead without anyone actually looking out for the students.

That's the spin but the university is just taking the piss. The SU has been useless for years. Give them a position on a committee to make them feel good and just steam roll ahead without anyone actually looking out for the students.
    Not spin. University wasnt just taking piss. SU useless for years?? How?? Do you see what they do on regular basis then?

• Advertisement

Not spin. University wasnt just taking piss. SU useless for years?? How?? Do you see what they do on regular basis then?

Ya. I take it you're either are/were on the exec or one of their mates?
    I know and have known people on all sides of this for the last 10 years or so. Trust me. The SU is a toothless sham of what it should be. University say "jump" and they say "how high would you like the students to jump"

Ya. I take it you're either are/were on the exec or one of their mates?
    I know and have known people on all sides of this for the last 10 years or so. Trust me. The SU is a toothless sham of what it should be. University say "jump" and they say "how high would you like the students to jump"
    Not on exec. Knew some involved but thats irrelevant. More spending time in A&E on xmas day
    SU far from toothless. It isnt as simple as university high powers saying jump. Could SU have done more on this? Maybe but hard to do that when University can just pull plug and SU can do nothing about that bar cause more hassle and ultimately achieve nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Was actually visiting the city on Thursday, didn't realize there was something on. Wouldn't exactly encourage me back to Galway I have to say!

Not on exec. Knew some involved but thats irrelevant. More spending time in A&E on xmas day
    SU far from toothless. It isnt as simple as university high powers saying jump. Could SU have done more on this? Maybe but hard to do that when University can just pull plug and SU can do nothing about that bar cause more hassle and ultimately achieve nothing

The SU are supposed to own the bar (it was hard fought for in the 70's or 80's by previous SUs) but the university still tell them what they can and cannot do with it (looking at you graduations). It's a sham to let them dictate like that. While the Christmas Day party might not be the most important event in the world, at some stage they need to stop rolling over and fight for the students they're supposed to answer to. They're more worried about keeping the university "on side" than looking out for the students.

I'm a big believer in the SU as a concept. That's why it's so disappointing when you see it in action.

The SU are supposed to own the bar (it was hard fought for in the 70's or 80's by previous SUs) but the university still tell them what they can and cannot do with it (looking at you graduations). It's a sham to let them dictate like that. While the Christmas Day party might not be the most important event in the world, at some stage they need to stop rolling over and fight for the students they're supposed to answer to. They're more worried about keeping the university "on side" than looking out for the students.

I'm a big believer in the SU as a concept. That's why it's so disappointing when you see it in action.
    They do own the bar but university still pay for so many other things and of course university can do more around it. Its not a sham. There is far more the union needs to be focused on over a day of drinking.

They do own the bar but university still pay for so many other things and of course university can do more around it. Its not a sham. There is far more the union needs to be focused on over a day of drinking.

Ya but they don't do those either. No spending on library since something like 2002. No increase in funding for mental health facilities in at least as long (despite ever growing student numbers). Still paying off the "Kingfisher" despite none of the guarantees on the other side coming through. I've even heard rumors of the health unit starting to charge (one of the promises for getting rid of Rag Week and far more important than some stupid "festival").

Of all the things that the SU should be fighting for, a piss up is not one. I've always found the various SU's strong advocates for student rights and welfare.

If you are that disillusioned with the SU, you can always go back to Uni and get elected, you know, show us all how you reckon it should be done. You could have the students strike because of a cancelled party. Don't know about others, but I'd certainly be in awe of your power

Of all the things that the SU should be fighting for, a piss up is not one. I've always found the various SU's strong advocates for student rights and welfare.

If you are that disillusioned with the SU, you can always go back to Uni and get elected, you know, show us all how you reckon it should be done. You could have the students strike because of a cancelled party. Don't know about others, but I'd certainly be in awe of your power

LOL. Good man. I'm sure you feel like you've made a valuable contribution to something here. But you just sound like a child. Not even sure why you felt the need to comment. Angry words for an angry person with nothing to contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No increase in funding for mental health facilities in at least as long (despite ever growing student numbers).

Curbing binge drinking is one of the biggest mental health interventions possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

LOL. Good man. I'm sure you feel like you've made a valuable contribution to something here. But you just sound like a child. Not even sure why you felt the need to comment. Angry words for an angry person with nothing to contribute.

In fairness, because of the lack of interest and general apathy towards the SU in the college it genuinely wouldn't be hard to get elected - almost no-one votes in the elections.

• Advertisement

Curbing binge drinking is one of the biggest mental health interventions possible.

Ya I agree. Can make a huge difference to a personal mental wellbeing.
    But I thought we had established that pushing things off campus hasn't improved the binge drinking situation :D

Arghus wrote: »
    In fairness, because of the lack of interest and general apathy towards the SU in the college it genuinely wouldn't be hard to get elected - almost no-one votes in the elections.

Think its in the region of 3k people for the main elections and less for the part times etc. But there's something like >15k students so not a great percentage. Not sure how many of that 15k are eligible to vote but I'd assume most of them are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Think its in the region of 3k people for the main elections and less for the part times etc. But there's something like >15k students so not a great percentage. Not sure how many of that 15k are eligible to vote but I'd assume most of them are.

As far as I'm aware if you're a registered student you've got a vote, but the vast majority don't because they have no interest.

I'm not knocking the SU here, I think it's an important thing to have, but people need to understand how little heed is paid to it in real terms. They could talk to all end about the dangers of drink, but students are still going to go ahead and do it.

Arghus wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware if you're a registered student you've got a vote, but the vast majority don't because they have no interest.

I'm not knocking the SU here, I think it's an important thing to have, but people need to understand how little heed is paid to it in real terms. They could talk to all end about the dangers of drink, but students are still going to go ahead and do it.

There's one or two minor requirements besides being registered but ya nearly all registered full time students can vote.

I'm not knocking the SU as an entity either. I think it's a vital part of the university but I don't like what it has become. TBH I went off on a bit of tangent with wider issues earlier, and a drunken Christmas Party is not high on the list of priorities. But rolling over every time they're pushed by the university is not fulfilling their remit to the students. They should be demanding a compromise solution on campus that isn't so much focused on alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

I *think* there was talk of the potential of NUIG losing some of it's link ups with American universities for study abroad programmes over drunken and loutish behaviour from students on campus which may have hastened NUIG's wanting to distance itself as far from this craic as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Twas a bit messy alright but it's the one big organised day the students have this side of Christmas. I don't think anyone could realistically expect students to live like hermits moving from lecture threatre to library and straight home to bed all week. Then again some probably do. Ideally most of this stuff would be kept on campus but the college has abdicated responsibility so it's been forced into the city centre and in the social media age it is very easy for students to get the word around. I don't know how you can stop that. It's a catch 22. The college doesn't want to be seen promoting the students going drinking but the students will just organise it themselves then which brings them into contact with the general public in town. I enjoyed my college years so I'm not going to be a hypocrite by condemning students heading out on the lash as long as they behave themselves but obviously when hundreds of them are out you are going to get a few who misbehave due to over consumption.

sasta le wrote: »

You were very lucky so to have the money and security to do it you would be in a small minority

No I wasn’t, I was in the massive majority as regards going out drinking regularly. Nearly everyone in college did it.

I was in NUIG nearly 20 years ago and it was a big drinking college then too anyhow. From my limited knowledge of academic history, students have always been loutish, drunken clowns and fair play to them I say. Life is hard, college are some of the best days, enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Galway is known as a party town and without the universities the city wouldnt have a the atmosphere and buzz we all know. There must be 20,000 students in Galway and it contributes nicely to the local economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭spurshero

yew_tree wrote: »
    Galway is known as a party town and without the universities the city wouldnt have a the atmosphere and buzz we all know. There must be 20,000 students in Galway and it contributes nicely to the local economy.

18500 in nuig 9000 in gmit . That’s a lot of students and must contribute some anoung to local economy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement