Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spice Girls - Croke Park - May 24th 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sound was fine in cusack mid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Lot of complaints about the sound at times.

Croke Park is a horrible place for a concert.The only place the sound is "good" is down on the pitch.
    I was lucky enough to be in the pit at Bruce Springsteen in 2016.There were many complaints about the sound from people I was talking to who were in the stands back then.It appears that hasn't changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Spice Girls mimming and poor sound in Croker......shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

kippy wrote: »
    Spice Girls mimming and poor sound in Croker......shocked.

The sound for Coldplay was excellent ,best I've ever heard in Croke Park .
    Most sound engineers cant seem to get the sound right ,half of them are tone deaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

wife and daughters not long home and they all came in beaming and had an AMAZING time
    loved it.

think i earned a few brownie points :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Unreal atmosphere during the whole thing

I’d say at least 70k at it

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

Genuinely one of the most sheer fun concerts I’ve ever been to! There was potentially a bit of miming but I don’t think anyone goes to see the Spice Girls for their vocal prowess :D

We were standing pitch B and the sound was a bit cagey when they were talking sometimes, but mostly ok.

I was very impressed with the production values, it all looked incredible and was really well put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭danois

The sound was truly awful there were some songs that I couldn’t hear at all apart from the crowd below singing them. Didn’t hear any of them talking at all. That being said I had an amazing night. I would go again tonight if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

What was the deal with Mel B saying she was racist but that's okay because she's black? How on earth does that even come up mid-set?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

How long did they perform for ?
    1h30 ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    How long did they perform for ?
    1h30 ?

About 1 hour 50, but minus all the costume changes it would've been about what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

What was the deal with Mel B saying she was racist but that's okay because she's black? How on earth does that even come up mid-set?

According to the papers this morning Mel B said "What's the craic?" to the crowd and Geri jokingly accused her of being racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lot of complaints about the sound at times.

This was just reported on ITV news

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They should just have disclaimers for croke park. Something similar to their vertigo warnings.

Might mean they sell less but I am still reading how the spice girls sold out croke park in minutes ;) so should be no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

vicwatson wrote: »
    This was just reported on ITV news

According to Mel B, they hopefully will have it sorted out for their next concert!
    Isn't that what a rehearsal is for?
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0525/1051655-spice-girl-mel-b-reacts-to-complaints-about-dublin-show/

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Croke Park is a horrible place for a concert.The only place the sound is "good" is down on the pitch.
    I was lucky enough to be in the pit at Bruce Springsteen in 2016.There were many complaints about the sound from people I was talking to who were in the stands back then.It appears that hasn't changed since.

yes your right. I was there that night too . The first half of the bruce gig that night was dreadful.I was seated. Ive been at a good few there and the sound was dreadful at alot of them depending where you were

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Even though the production was amazing I thought they waffled on and wasted lots of time talking and each costume change took at least 5 to 10 minutes.Definitely felt like half the show was wasted on talking and costume changes.

Also I thought they had alot more big hits than they actually had.Some of the album cuts they sang have aged terribly.

Was a good show in all and glad I got it off the concert bucket list but definitely wouldn't be in a rush to see them again unless they had some new tunes and albums down the line.

Thought Jessie Glynne was excellent and has a great voice.

I know technology etc.has changed and transportation of equipment costs are probably huge,but to my ears back years ago the sound at concerts was much better when big speakers were stacked on each side of the stage.I feel the systems nowadays with the speakers suspended from the gantries don't have the same power.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

gerryirl wrote: »
    yes your right. I was there that night too . The first half of the bruce gig that night was dreadful.I was seated. Ive been at a good few there and the sound was dreadful at alot of them depending where you were
    I was on the pitch for the Sunday night at Springsteen, and the sound was awful, bouncing all round and echoing back. I opted out of the Stones at Croker, though all reports of that gig seemed great on sound quality.

I was on the pitch for the Sunday night at Springsteen, and the sound was awful, bouncing all round and echoing back. I opted out of the Stones at Croker, though all reports of that gig seemed great on sound quality.

I was in the pit at that Springsteen show.The sound was good there,but not the best I have ever heard.Still think those speaker systems suspended from the gantries just don't whack it.I remember years ago no matter where you were at a show the ground would be vibrating from the sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I had a brilliant night and if they were in Dublin tonight I'd almost get a ticket again!!!
    The sound really wasn't great, though we had put that down to being way up the back of upper hogan, stage end so really in the worst spot for acoustics. Also couldn't make out most of their chatty bits. Also heard the bass much more than vocals and didnt seem to hear much of Geri's mike at all. Wouldve prefered to be in a lower stand but I'll bear that in mind for next gig in Croker.
    The energy and atmosphere was absolutely electric. The girls themselves looked amazing, you could tell they were buzzing to be performing together for the first time in years, and the costumes were fantastic. Some songs that weren't released as singles and I would normally skip past on an album, were bangers on the night.
    My main gripe with the night was the bar staff and organisation. Queued for 45 minutes for a drink - 30 mins by time the spice girls came on stage, at that point we were really frustrated but close to the top of the line so didnt want to take off, but had to wait another 15 minutes purely down to the bars being manned by not enough staff, who were PAINFULLY slow, they seemed to have no cop that we were all dying to drop our money, grab drinks and run. They seemed to have had no training about serving with any speed whatsoever. I won't be rude to service staff as I've been there and done that but when we were missing the third song, and the server was timidly smiling at me, asking me to repeat my very simple order and then dandering over and back to the fridge - oh my god!!
    All in all, loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The Cool wrote: »
    My main gripe with the night was the bar staff and organisation. Queued for 45 minutes for a drink - 30 mins by time the spice girls came on stage, at that point we were really frustrated but close to the top of the line so didnt want to take off, but had to wait another 15 minutes purely down to the bars being manned by not enough staff, who were PAINFULLY slow, they seemed to have no cop that we were all dying to drop our money, grab drinks and run. They seemed to have had no training about serving with any speed whatsoever. I won't be rude to service staff as I've been there and done that but when we were missing the third song, and the server was timidly smiling at me, asking me to repeat my very simple order and then dandering over and back to the fridge - oh my god!!
    All in all, loved it!

That's the same for soccer matches.
    They staff should have loads of pints semi filled just before the gig/match starts, half time for soccer matches and during the gig.
    It's not rocket science even if they are new staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I was in the pit at that Springsteen show.The sound was good there,but not the best I have ever heard.Still think those speaker systems suspended from the gantries just don't whack it.I remember years ago no matter where you were at a show the ground would be vibrating from the sound.

They're useless alright, sound like a tannoy.

First night of Springsteen I had an excellent seat, but second night I made sure I was in the pit and so glad I made that choice.

Sound at The Police was the same and the Chili Peppers. Was in the seats for both of those though. Hate the place for gigs overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

They're useless alright, sound like a tannoy.

sorry, have to do this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The Cool wrote: »
    All in all, loved it!
    A lot of people who work the bars are young students with little no experience of working in a bar or any large event. Of course they wont be doing it at speed. Not sure what you want them to do to do it faster...
    That's the same for soccer matches.
    They staff should have loads of pints semi filled just before the gig/match starts, half time for soccer matches and during the gig.
    It's not rocket science even if they are new staff.
    They do but never enough for some people

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Was there anything other than alcohol and water? I didn't see anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

A lot of people who work the bars are young students with little no experience of working in a bar or any large event. Of course they wont be doing it at speed. Not sure what you want them to do to do it faster...

They do but never enough for some people

the only time there is ever big queues at these events is when the barstaff are pouring pints to order.

There should be a team constantly filling pints and putting them on the tables, and another teamt aking order and serving.

Its not rocket science and it always leads to unnecessary delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

its sad enough that people would pay €150 for a ticket to a concert and miss the opening and first 1/3rd of the concert by not leaving the queue for pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Was there anything other than alcohol and water? I didn't see anything
    On pitch no in stand yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Deja vu; https://www.thejournal.ie/fans-complain-of-sound-issues-again-at-spice-girls-gig-4657662-May2019/

I don't blame the sound engineers. If the venue isn't built with acoustics in mind, there's not much the engineers can do.

They're really just not fit for purpose.

Advertisement