Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop - €300-€350

Options
  • 16-11-2018 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My niece is looking for her first Laptop and she is just gone 11. She has saved all year and will be helping to chip in towards it. Nothing too fancy and it will be for general project work, watching youtube and she had hinted she would like to play The Sims but i do know at this price point it will be hard to get anything that might play games.

Id be happy if it could even play some older editions of the games.

Anyways been looking at Argos / Harvey Norman etc and there are some good options but most seem to be Dual Core CPUs and only 32GB Space with W10 will mean no room to install anything it seems.

Thanks for any pointers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

Amazon have this in your price range
    Lenovo V110-15ISK (80TL00A9UK) 15.6" Laptop Intel Core i3-6006U/ 2.0GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, HDMI, Windows 10 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N6TOT2I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ruP7BbY6ZQRVS

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Thanks for the response. Not a bad system considering the price. Will add it to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You'd get better buying a used machine on Adverts.ie tbh; got a ThinkPad T430S recently with i7-3520M, 1600x900 screen & Nvidia NVS5200M for €220.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Also worth considering android tablets. Grab a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, add a kickstand to the tablet and you have a decent solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Cheers for the shouts lads. Ye been looking at some refurbished machines as a better option. Seem to be some good ones on Amazon similar to your spec K.O.Kiki just without the GPU. But thats like coming in at €350. Did yours come like brand new?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just get something like this. Decent screen and grand for Sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

MarkJD wrote: »
    Cheers for the shouts lads. Ye been looking at some refurbished machines as a better option. Seem to be some good ones on Amazon similar to your spec K.O.Kiki just without the GPU. But thats like coming in at €350. Did yours come like brand new?

Yeah, barely a scratch on it. This is the seller here:
    https://www.adverts.ie/member/1416886/ads

Used ThinkPads are the best IMHO; they had full-speed CPUs until the (x)30 series which really help in running games, easy to replace the batteries, and properly upgradable (e.g. if you want to add SSDs or RAM). The only model this doesn't hold for is the X1 Carbon, but they have the best screens as a trade-off.

Advertisement