Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coolant warning

• 16-11-2018 11:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15

Hi all, audi a4 2006 1.9 diesel, this morning i was driving along and the coolant light started flashing, i thoight this was odd as i had only filled the coolant tank a week previous, i also seemed to be losing power over 60 mph....i pulled in, opened the bonnet and it sounded like the engine was still running even though i had switched it off, i opened the cap of the coolant tank and the coolant sprayed out so there was plenty of coolant in the tank....i switched the car back on and everything was fine, drove it for about another half hour to work, the light stayed off and the power was fine and when i pulled in at work and switched the engine off there was no sound.....this puzzles me, any ideas what may have happened? would it be dirt in the tank or something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

When you say you filled the coolant tank do you mean you filled it to the top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The sound was the electric engine fan staying on to cool the engine which must have been very hot. Coolant is not something you should be filling really, if you have to put coolant in regularly that means you have a leak and you need to get it fixed. Also filling coolant isn't necessarily an easy process, the system will need to be bled as air can get in the system when it goes low. And it's never a terribly good idea to open the tank when it's warm anyway.

Best start looking for leaks and keep a close eye on your coolant levels (when engine is cool).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 upthepoll

blade1 wrote: »
    When you say you filled the coolant tank do you mean you filled it to the top?

no, last weekend i just filled it to the level

The sound was the electric engine fan staying on to cool the engine which must have been very hot. Coolant is not something you should be filling really, if you have to put coolant in regularly that means you have a leak and you need to get it fixed. Also filling coolant isn't necessarily an easy process, the system will need to be bled as air can get in the system when it goes low. And it's never a terribly good idea to open the tank when it's warm anyway.

Best start looking for leaks and keep a close eye on your coolant levels (when engine is cool).

thanks, i appear to have a very small leak, the coolant level seems to drop over a few months
    in terms of the electric fan staying on, any idea what would have caused the engine to get so hot and the coolant light come on even though the coolant level was high?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Possible airlock also

• Advertisement

Possible airlock also

thanks, ran it again for a while at lunchtime and it seemed fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Looking at google, it seems there is a common failure in the expansion tank in these cars. The tank has a sensor which begins to fail by showing random low coolant errors on the dash. If you are only putting very small amounts of coolant in every once and a while, I would think it unlikely for there to be air in the system. This seems like a probable cause, but I would want to know more and get it resolved. Ignoring low coolant warnings is a dangerous game and could cause massive problems if the coolant were to leak out completely.

If you're not planning on attempting this work yourself I would book it in to a mechanic soon and keep a close eye on your coolant level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

It sounds more like head gasket failure, very common on that era of 1.9

Advertisement