Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMOS advice

Options
  • 16-11-2018 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a small enough bill with Vodafone (290) due to a mix up at the end of a broadband contract which has been passed onto CMOS. I got their usual scary letter which tbh I would probably just ignore if it wasn't for the fact that the account was at my mothers address. So I rang and offered to pay 10e a week which I thought was very reasonable I was told no and that it had to be 20e a week.

I made it clear I was never going to pay more than 10e a week so now they have sent me a letter with a statement of means attached for me to fill out. Am I obliged to fill this out?? Surely it's none of their business what I earn? I have already agreed to repay the debt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I have already agreed to repay the debt.
    You have not reached an agreement to fulfil the debt.

you made an offer, they made a counter offer. nothing was agreed. So you're still at the starting blocks. So what do you want to happen? do you want them to pursue you in court?

If you cannot afford the €20 a month you could show them that by filling out the form. they suspect you could pay more.

I would suggest you try to settle at €15

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

I certainly wouldn't fill out any statement of means for them, and I don't believe you are obliged to do this. You've told them you're willing to pay €10 a month, so let them take that or nothing. They will not take you to court for €290, that just won't happen. Send back the blank form with a letter stating your offer of €10 per month, and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Since 2016 Vodafone submit missed payments/arrears/write offs information to a database called credit insights run by Experian. Banks, building societies and credit unions don’t have access to this but Eircom and Three(3) Hutchison Ireland do. The data will be kept for 5 years. It’s in your interest to clear this off within 90 days before it’s recorded.

Note that this only applies to customers who signed up or upgraded post September 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Most people don't understand how information is shared, especially when it comes to credit collection agencies.

Experian is one of the biggest agencies. As above, Eircom & three use them. But many others do too including gas and electricity suppliers.

Those suppliers use Experian to get credit scores on new customers. Whilst they cannot give actual information, they can give a rating and a low rating will see credit refused by other companies.

Advertisement