Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post put me on hold for 10 minutes after failing to deliver my package

Options
  • 16-11-2018 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So I ordered something off amazon and they told me it would arrive next Monday (it's currently Friday) but I got an email from them today telling me there was an attempted delivery.
    I live in an apartment building and there is not usually any notice of mail being delivered, so things can be a little tricky when it comes to parcels arriving. Fortunately, this was not the first parcel I've had delivered to this building and so, due to the fact that the postman had not left any kind of notice or note to explain the attempted delivery, I called An Post.

I was put on hold for about 10 minutes before someone took my call. When they finally did, we went through the usual procedure of me giving them my order number and them trying to contact the driver, but apparently the driver could not be reached. The person I was speaking to explained that with Amazon deliveries, they attempt to deliver them three times, but was unable to give me an exact, or even close to exact time that the parcel would arrive again, only telling me that it should be this evening sometime between 4 and 7. I then ran out of phone credit.

What am I supposed to do about this? The postman can obviously enter the building to deliver the mail, why not just knock on my apt door? When ordering food deliveries, the delivery person always calls when they arrive, why is an posts service so poor? Am I just expected to wait for my package at the door for 3 hours in case I miss it again? Maybe I'm alone in thinking this or maybe I'm just missing something but I'm pretty cheesed about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Use parcel motel ... delivery drivers are not in the habit of hanging around apartment blocks hoping someone will answer - let them in ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

An Post also have something similar to Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Collect it from the post office?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

When ordering food deliveries, the delivery person always calls when they arrive, why is an posts service so poor?

"An Post delivers more than 3 million items daily across Ireland. It would not be possible to contact every addressee prior to delivery."

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

What am I supposed to do about this? The postman can obviously enter the building to deliver the mail, why not just knock on my apt door?

In some instances with apartment blocks the letter delivery man will have a key or fob to enter the building but the parcel man won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Could you tape a note to the door asking the postman to ring/text you from outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

Collect it from the post office?

Some businesses have it in their contract that An Post make 3 attempts to deliver a parcel before they can leave a note for it to be collect it from the post office. That is of course the customer specifically asks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ask them about the new service, Amazon are a bit ropey though with their dates
    This would fix it if you've tracking https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/an-post-launch-in-flight-delivery-options-ahead-of-busy-christmas-period-885374.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Slim Shaseldine

Thank you for the helpful replies. To be completely clear about this, I was at home all day and received no notice that the parcel was being delivered, nobody even rung the doorbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Does the intercom work, I've had this with my line of work.
    People in apartment blocks never know if their intercoms work or not, as they don't ring themselves to get in.

An Post use the scanner they have to scan the barcode on Amazon packets to get a phone number for you, if you haven't given Amazon one, them An Post cant contact you, they do not use their private phones, the general postman may have a fob to enter an apartment block if the boxes are inside the main door, the parcel guy wont, (how many fobs and key codes can a person have for every block and estate in an area, 100's?)

Do you get texts/email to tell you your Amazon is on the way with a contact number for the delivery guy, if you do ring him and arrange what you want done with packet, don't text it, its a scanner, doesn't do texts.
    If you don't, you may not have included your number in amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

Thank you for the helpful replies. To be completely clear about this, I was at home all day and received no notice that the parcel was being delivered, nobody even rung the doorbell.

Happened to me 2 or 3 times. The still provide excellent service 95% of the time for Amazon orders

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Slim Shaseldine

Just a little update, the delivery man called me this morning (Monday, the day the parcel was supposed to arrive) for the third delivery attempt. All is well.

At least An Post didn't do this,

Not mine, but walked by it last week in an estate in full view of everyone and anyone, was there when I passed again about 2 hours later.

IMG-20180924-WA0000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

maybe it was an post and the receiver selected Delivery to a Safe Place (eg a porch or specific spot in the garden);

^^
    an posts new pre-delivery/in-flight mechanism to improve deliveries :pac:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/an-post-launch-in-flight-delivery-options-ahead-of-busy-christmas-period-885374.html

It wasn't an An Post delivery,

I know a customer can tell any delivery person/courier to leave it where addressee wants it,
    But in full view of anyone walking by it showing what was in it or lashed rain on it, bit mad, But...that's folk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

During the summer my neighbors were away and a number of pretty large packages were left outside their front door. I took them in and held onto them until they got back, dropped them in when I saw their car back on the driveway and the looks I was given, he asked did I open them, bad form them being left outside and then started off on a rant about how disgusted he was on his mail being left out. Not a words of thanks and a was being a bit of an arsehole about it, lashing rain earlier this week and a cardboard box left outside his door, it was likely soaked through by the time they got home...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement