Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT test date

• 16-11-2018 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Have a 05 Saab 93. Test was due on the 25 of January but since the tax was due at the end of this month I decided to test it early, just in case it failed.
    It passed. Great stuff!
    But now I've only just noticed the date on the cert is 11/19. Shouldn't that be 01/20?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

I agree if the due date was 25 Jan 2019 then you should have got a new disc with 25 Jan 2020.

What exact date did you present the car for test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

08 Nov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Sounds like the car came under the voluntary testing rules even though it wasn't 90 days before the expiry date.

Check www.ncts.ie and see what it says about your car there.

What is the exact date of expiry on your certificate? Is it 07/11/2019?

Yep. 07/11/2019
    If i go to ncts.ie it says periodic due 08/11/19

Was the car imported in the last year? Was it previously tested for roadworthyness in an Irish NCT centre?
    Not sure why I'm asking that but trying to come up with a reason why it might have been given the due date you got...

• Advertisement

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Yep. 07/11/2019
    If i go to ncts.ie it says periodic due 08/11/19

That makes no sense. You brought the car in last week on 08 Nov 2018? Correct?
    And they give you a pass disc with a due date for the previous day????
    Sounds like a system error to me.

Sorry I see now 2019.

So you presented the car less than 90 days before the due date, which means you should have got a test up to 25 January 2020.

I think you should go back to the NCT centre and point out the error.

Are you sure it due 25 Jan 2019? Was it 2018 by any chance. IE was it overdue since Jan 2018?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did you bring the car for last NCT, if you didn't is there any chance the NCT disc was a fake on the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

My understanding is that on older cars if you voluntarily bring it before the due date you get the cert for 12 months from that date (test date)Looked st this during the week and decided there was no benefit to testing it before the due date.

sibeen99 wrote: »
    My understanding is that on older cars if you voluntarily bring it before the due date you get the cert for 12 months from that date (test date)Looked st this during the week and decided there was no benefit to testing it before the due date.

If it is within 90days of due date you can test it early without changing the annual due date. If greater than 90 days from due date you will get 12 months from test date.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

Dermo123 wrote: »
    If it is within 90days of due date you can test it early without changing the annual due date. If greater than 90 days from due date you will get 12 months from test date.

Unless the car is over 10 years old, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

sibeen99 wrote: »
    Unless the car is over 10 years old, I think.

Makes no difference if over or under 10 years for early test within 90 days.

From www.ncts.ie

"There is no advantage in delaying your NCT
    Based on your test due date, NCTS can issue your certificate up to 90 days early

Vehicle owners who wish to present their vehicle for inspection earlier than 90 days before their NCT due date will now be allowed to do so.

Where this happens the vehicle will receive a 2 year (or 1 year for 10 year old and older vehicles) certificate duration from the date it passes the test."

What is the first date of registration of your car as shown on the vehicle registration cert?

The only thing I can think of is that there was an error and the expiry date is wrong. I would go back to the centre and query this.

Aye i've read this http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Test-due-date--Voluntary-Early-Testing-/
    and I believe the car has received the incorrect date.
    It was due 25/jan/19.
    It was last tested 26/Jan/18.
    I had the test done less than 90 days before its due date and reading the rsa site i should have received a date till jan/20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Testing more than 90 days early, and so changing the next due date, can work out well on cars coming up to 10 years old, as it will be 2 years from the test date, rather than the 1 year from the due date, if left until the due date (or inside 90 days from it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have a car that's 21 years old. I always get the NCT done early as I always expect it to fail on something that's too expensive to fix. Doing the test early means I will have loads of time to find a new car. So far it has always passed or failed on something very cheap to fix.
    Every time it has been in November and I get a cert valid until January 14 months time.
    This is how the system works, they want people testing early as January and February would be chaos at the Centre without this in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

ewj1978 wrote: »
    I had the test done less than 90 days before its due date and reading the rsa site i should have received a date till jan/20.

Yep, sounds like an error on their end. I'd say ring or email them to get it sorted, or if you're close enough to the centre, call in.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Did you get to the bottom of this OP?

• Advertisement
Advertisement