Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on cpu compatibility with motherboard

Options
  • 16-11-2018 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Wanted to upgrade my cpu and was looking at the AMD Ryzen 7 2700x, however, im not sure if its compatible with my motherboard which is a ASROCK Z87 Pro4. Any advice or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Gav.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭gav_69

Thanks Sugar man, appreciate the reply.
    Thanks,
    Gav.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You can upgrade up to an i7 4770k or 4970k on that board which may be a significant upgrade depending on what you have in it at the moment, not sure how well that board overclocks, the non K versions might be better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭gav_69

Thanks Inquitus, yeah I wanted to get a decent cpu, doesn't look like I could fit a i7 9700x or i7 8600x in as there specs say socket 1151.

I wanted to upgrade my current rig, its about 2 years old at this stage and starting to struggle with the latest games.

I primarily use it for gaming and a bit of "work" :).

I wanted to upgrade the cpu and gpu and from what you and sugarman are saying, it looks like ill need a new motherboard and memory now as well.

I was thinking of the below.

CPU = i7 9700x or 8600x (From reading looks like these beat the amd ryzen 7 series)
    GPU = ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 ROG Strix GAMING - 6 GB
    Ram = Bit of touch on this also, any suggestions on ram as well, was thinking 16gb
    Motherboard = Havent a clue, any suggestions on a fairly decent one that can house the above (can spend about 200)

I can reuse all the other components from my old rig like harddrives, power supply etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

A 4770 or a 4790 can well handle a GTX 1060, by all means upgrade away if its time to do so, but a CPU upgrade would be your cheapest option here. There is no need to do the MOBO +CPU +RAM if you are going for a GTI1060, you could save the money and go for a better GPU and still not be bottlenecked imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Inquitus wrote: »
    A 4770 or a 4790 can well handle a GTX 1060, by all means upgrade away if its time to do so, but a CPU upgrade would be your cheapest option here. There is no need to do the MOBO +CPU +RAM if you are going for a GTI1060, you could save the money and go for a better GPU and still not be bottlenecked imo.

100%. If the games are struggling it's most likely an i5 bottleneck on some of the latest AAA games.

i7-4770 or 4790 is a major boost over any i5 from that gen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

gav_69 wrote: »
    Thanks Inquitus, yeah I wanted to get a decent cpu, doesn't look like I could fit a i7 9700x or i7 8600x in as there specs say socket 1151.

I wanted to upgrade my current rig, its about 2 years old at this stage and starting to struggle with the latest games.

I primarily use it for gaming and a bit of "work" :).

I wanted to upgrade the cpu and gpu and from what you and sugarman are saying, it looks like ill need a new motherboard and memory now as well.

I was thinking of the below.

CPU = i7 9700x or 8600x (From reading looks like these beat the amd ryzen 7 series)
    GPU = ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 ROG Strix GAMING - 6 GB
    Ram = Bit of touch on this also, any suggestions on ram as well, was thinking 16gb
    Motherboard = Havent a clue, any suggestions on a fairly decent one that can house the above (can spend about 200)

I can reuse all the other components from my old rig like harddrives, power supply etc.
    CEX will sell you an i7-4790 for 120eur which is decent enough.
    Add another 8Gb RAM for 35eur and an RX 580 (as good as a GTX 1060 6Gb) and a 240-500Gb SSD for Windows, and you're good to go for another few years easy.

Advertisement