Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forestry/pruning saw

Options
  • 16-11-2018 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭

I was just looking at good quality saws for use on trees and noticed that some saw on the pull stroke, with a handle in the same plane as the blade. After some (well a lot really) years using a saw on the push stroke how difficult is it to get used to sawing on the pull? My instinct is that it would make it hard work, but presumably it isn't.

Since they seem to be between 40 and 70 euros a go I am a bit concerned it might be a waste of money.

Any thoughts on a large pruning type saw for fast cutting (ie coarse blade)?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have some vague notion in my head that a saw is best used in the manner where you can use your weight - so a push saw is best used when sawing below you, as you can ush your weight into it, and a pull saw is best when working above you, so you can throw your weight into the pull. would be curious if this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Accidentally

I always thought push is for coarse and pull for fine.

Checked my two pruning saws on one is push and the other neutral. Bow saws are also neutral, so they cut in both directions.

As for makes, Bahco make the best bow saw blades I've ever used, but I'm sure Fiskars, Stihl and many others are fine too. I wouldn't be spending €80 on one, €30 and a rubber grip handle will do me fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I believe the exact saws you are eluding to are silky saws?

They are fantastic! And when you start using them you will never go back!

I have course, medium and fine for different tasks.

I have the most popular one (zubat) as well as several others (7 at the last count) I have the pocketboy 130/170’s two zubat 330’s one gomtaro pro sentei, a katanaboy 500 and a hayauchi three section and I couldn’t do without any of them.

The zubat would probably do for everything you need just be careful they really are very sharp.

Regarding getting used to them, it’s very quick and easy just remember not to put any pressure on the push stroke.

Look at Stephen Hayes on you tube for a lesson in using silky saws.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I believe the exact saws you are eluding to are silky saws?

They are fantastic! And when you start using them you will never go back!

I have course, medium and fine for different tasks.

I have the most popular one (zubat) as well as several others (7 at the last count) I have the pocketboy 130/170’s two zubat 330’s one gomtaro pro sentei, a katanaboy 500 and a hayauchi three section and I couldn’t do without any of them.

The zubat would probably do for everything you need just be careful they really are very sharp.

Regarding getting used to them, it’s very quick and easy just remember not to put any pressure on the push stroke.

Look at Stephen Hayes on you tube for a lesson in using silky saws.

Enjoy!

+1

Silky saws and by far and away the best pruning, very well made and well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, Silky was the first one that I found - around €70 so its not cheap. Magicbastarder's argument makes sense, I do think it would feel very awkward pulling on the saw though. The suggestion seems to be that the thinner, sharper saw blade will break using it as a push saw, the pull puts less stress on it.

I have on occasion bought those little folding saws for less than €10, one in particular was so sharp and efficient that it cut through wood like butter, but it was a bit of a one-off. Bow saws I do not find nearly as efficient. I did find a couple of saws similar looking to the Silky but cutting on the push, but I have no idea how good they would be, around the €30 to €40 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't really have anything to compare it to, but the Silky Zubat I have is an absolute monster of a thing, would highly recommend.

I think shape and ergonomics is more important with pruning saws as you're usually cutting in a restricted space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP the €4.99 (or cheaper) folding pruning saws that are periodical in Aldi and Lidl are excellent. They are only carbon steel so the down side is they rust so dry them off after use. Careful oiling any blade used on live wood as the oil can damage the what you are cutting.

The larger version they do that has a sheath for it at about €15 is also excellent again they also rust if not looked after.

Treat then as throw away items and replace them as soon as needed. I doubt you'd get a replacement bow saw blade for less that €4.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just get a Silky. I got a Silky BigBoy on an Amazon Warehouse deal for €50. It's perfect because it can be used one or two handed & the longer handle makes it easy to reach.

There is nothing like a Silky. I have cut through big trunks with mine & haven't used a chainsaw in years. They are so sharp that you don't need any effort & you soon get used to them.

https://arborist.ie/product/silky-big-boy-saw/?gclid=CjwKCAiAlb_fBRBHEiwAzMeEdv9nm2hyvzb1LDzn52MmAVWSrR6KFf9P55Itzk1Qouc1ZizK-UPVXBoCh94QAvD_BwE

I’m waiting for my wife to give me permission to buy the katanaboy 1000 :) yes that’s right a 1 metre saw blade!

Yes my3cents I buy the lidl folding saws as you say, like disposables, I generally have a couple around the place. I haven't seen the bigger one, I will look out for it. I was thinking of dropping Christmas hints about a silky though!

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Yes my3cents I buy the lidl folding saws as you say, like disposables, I generally have a couple around the place. I haven't seen the bigger one, I will look out for it. I was thinking of dropping Christmas hints about a silky though!

I've seen the bigger one in a Florabest promotion but actually bought the saws in a sale think I paid €5 each for them and bought 4 :) Still not worn the first one out.

With respect to My3Cents there is a world of difference. I have several Aldi/Lidl saws around the place. The Silky is on a different planet. Mine is 4 years old, used professionally & still razor sharp. You really get what you pay for & a Silky is good value.

I’m waiting for my wife to give me permission to buy the katanaboy 1000 :) yes that’s right a 1 metre saw blade!

I am looking out for a bigger Silky too but I reckon the 650 is big enough :pac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaIFOaW4fOY

I’ve either got the 500 or 650 can’t remember now, but check out Canadian prepper on YouTube with the 1 metre one it’s hilarious!

Discodog wrote: »

With respect to My3Cents there is a world of difference. I have several Aldi/Lidl saws around the place. The Silky is on a different planet. Mine is 4 years old, used professionally & still razor sharp. You really get what you pay for & a Silky is good value.

You can not compare like for like, not that I’ve tried a cheap saw but the silkys are in a class if their own.

I’ve either got the 500 or 650 can’t remember now, but check out Canadian prepper on YouTube with the 1 metre one it’s hilarious!

Ok you have convinced me - I want one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Barber chair accident waiting to happen at 1:35!

Lumen wrote: »
    Barber chair accident waiting to happen at 1:35!

Still one hell of a lot safer than a chainsaw

I knew you’d be convinced, be aware though that I think the big one is considerably pricier than the smaller two!

I knew you’d be convinced, be aware though that I think the big one is considerably pricier than the smaller two!

There's a big jump between the 500 & 650. Also the pivot point just looks a bit wrong. But it would be so useful for high branches

• Advertisement

Bit silly to be running through the woods with it open :)

Ouch ! €795

https://www.silky-europe.com/gardener/snoeizaag-katanaboy-1000-5-2-5

The cheerleader baton twirling stuff looks a bit dodgy too.

Anyway I have put in an appeal for the Zubat 330 which I reckon I could manage just nicely!

You could get a chainsaw and some decent ballistic nylon gear for that.

my3cents wrote: »

Yes you could but it wouldn’t look as cool/intimidating when you approach people with it :)

Their prices rise disproportionately to the size. The Bigboy has a 300 cm blade & it's only around €60. The 650 cm saw is €280.

Anyway I have put in an appeal for the Zubat 330 which I reckon I could manage just nicely!

Nice saw but I prefer the Bigboy as it has the same size blade but it folds so no need for a sheath. The longer handle is ideal for two handed use & reaching higher branches.

https://arborist.ie/product/silky-big-boy-saw/?gclid=CjwKCAiAlb_fBRBHEiwAzMeEdtDuWlEjNsQMHtJ3rwmUAfbTDYZiqTVnQELe1TbQCsocOowmreUmaxoCSjAQAvD_BwE

Nice saw but I prefer the Bigboy as it has the same size blade but it folds so no need for a sheath. The longer handle is ideal for two handed use & reaching higher branches.

https://arborist.ie/product/silky-big-boy-saw/?gclid=CjwKCAiAlb_fBRBHEiwAzMeEdtDuWlEjNsQMHtJ3rwmUAfbTDYZiqTVnQELe1TbQCsocOowmreUmaxoCSjAQAvD_BwE

The big boy is fine although I’ve never bothered to get one as I have the katanaboy but the zubat is handier as you don’t need to keep unfolding it and for most jobs it reaches perfectly well also being a curved blad is nice.

Their prices rise disproportionately to the size. The Bigboy has a 300 cm blade & it's only around €60. The 650 cm saw is €280.
    Yes but much bigger and broader blad and more substantial handle I suppose and possibly more work goes into it.

Also is the big boy resharpenable?

• Advertisement

It doesn't need to be foldable, I would prefer the angled handle, and its supposed to be lighter so easier to manage.

Advertisement