Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet access

Options
  • 17-11-2018 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi there.
    I was using an antivirus program to do some cleanup on my laptop and deleted a bunch of what I thought were unused programs. Now I cannot connect to the internet. Getting the message “ Windows cannot detect a properly installed network adapter. Obviously like an eejit I removed something critical.
    Any ideas how I can fix this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,628 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you tried restarting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

What version of windows are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Your computer might have a restore option.
    This will restore your system to a previous time showing you a timeline allowing you to select from.

If you done this today restore the computer to yesterday (also this doesn’t effect files stored on the computer so you will not lose any documents you have edited recently)

Simply click the start menu and type “system restore”

Follow onscreen steps and restore to yesterday and this should get you out of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭wandererz

Don't use the restore option immediately.
    Use another computer, go to the manufacturers website, do a search for your model and look for network adapter drivers or similar.
    Download that driver file to a USB key, plug it into your computer & double click to install it.

While you are there downloading, also download any other relevant or newer drivers as well. Just make sure its for your specific model of computer / laptop.

If you have a USB OTG (on the go) USB key, then you could also download it from your phone to the USB key. Hence, no need for another computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭wandererz

What brand & model is your machine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Jet1

Have you tried restarting it?

Yes

old_aussie wrote: »
    What version of windows are you using?

Windows 7

wandererz wrote: »
    What brand & model is your machine?

Toshiba

steo_magra wrote: »
    Your computer might have a restore option.
    This will restore your system to a previous time showing you a timeline allowing you to select from.

If you done this today restore the computer to yesterday (also this doesn’t effect files stored on the computer so you will not lose any documents you have edited recently)

Simply click the start menu and type “system restore”

Follow onscreen steps and restore to yesterday and this should get you out of the woods.

I get an error message saying system restore is not available on my system ☹️

Jet1 wrote: »
    I get an error message saying system restore is not available on my system ☹️

Ahhh damn ok, I felt this would be the easiest and quickest way to get you back in business.
    Unfortunately on some machines the system restore utility is not turned on so it’s not actively creating restore points.

Next step:
    As another poster suggested above, I feel your next step would be to download the wifi driver for your machine.
    You probably deleted your WiFi driver.

You will need to do this on another pc with internet access and put the files onto a USB stick and then transfer to the broken computer.

If it’s a laptop you are on though you could try plugging it directly into your broadband box via network cable and the internet might work this way.
    If not and you don’t have access to another pc to download the files from you could try downloading them to your phone (if it’s android)
    Plugging your phone into your pc via usb and transferrring them that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Could be difficult to do that since they are unable to find the model of the laptop only the make.

wandererz wrote: »
    Don't use the restore option immediately.
    Use another computer, go to the manufacturers website, do a search for your model and look for network adapter drivers or similar.
    Download that driver file to a USB key, plug it into your computer & double click to install it.

While you are there downloading, also download any other relevant or newer drivers as well. Just make sure its for your specific model of computer / laptop.

If you have a USB OTG (on the go) USB key, then you could also download it from your phone to the USB key. Hence, no need for another computer.

I’m curious as to why you’d suggest not to use windows restore immediately ?

Ahhh damn ok, I felt this would be the easiest and quickest way to get you back in business.
    Unfortunately on some machines the system restore utility is not turned on so it’s not actively creating restore points.

Next step:
    As another poster suggested above, I feel your next step would be to download the wifi driver for your machine.
    You probably deleted your WiFi driver.

You will need to do this on another pc with internet access and put the files onto a USB stick and then transfer to the broken computer.

If it’s a laptop you are on though you could try plugging it directly into your broadband box via network cable and the internet might work this way.
    If not and you don’t have access to another pc to download the files from you could try downloading them to your phone (if it’s android)
    Plugging your phone into your pc via usb and transferrring them that way.

I tried connecting my laptop directly to the broadband router but the laptop still couldn’t detect a network driver (photo attached).
    My laptop is a Toshiba (details attached).

Below i have provided links for the drivers. (LAN driver is probably the one you want to download)
    If you look at the comments youll actually see someone say the LAN driver worked.

https://www.toshiba-windows-drivers.com/2012/06/toshiba-satellite-c660-windows-7-64bit.html

If not you could try this link

https://support.toshiba.com/support/driversResults?freeText=1200014055&osId=31

Note; On this link on the left hand side tick the box beside network and download and install all of them.

Unfortunately you will need to download the drivers on someone else's computer and put them on a usb stick to transfer to your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Jet1,
    Try the following:
    http://www.toshiba.ie/support/my-product/laptops/

in download drivers.

Below i have provided links for the drivers. (LAN driver is probably the one you want to download)
    If you look at the comments youll actually see someone say the LAN driver worked.

https://www.toshiba-windows-drivers.com/2012/06/toshiba-satellite-c660-windows-7-64bit.html

If not you could try this link

https://support.toshiba.com/support/driversResults?freeText=1200014055&osId=31

Note; On this link on the left hand side tick the box beside network and download and install all of them.

Unfortunately you will need to download the drivers on someone else's computer and put them on a usb stick to transfer to your own.

Thanks. Could I use my iPhone to transfer the files ?

Android would be better :D I guess so though.

Skyknight wrote: »
    Android would be better :D I guess so though.

Do apple phones have a partition that's readable in Windows?
    My guess is no.

tuxy wrote: »
    Do apple phones have a partition that's readable in Windows?
    My guess is no.

Yeah, I get you alright....I have a rather vague recollection of transferring data from an IPhone at some stage. Hmmm..

No your problem now is you cannot download files to your iphone.

And yes you can read the iphones storage on a laptop to the above poster.

OP: You'll need another PC or android device to get a hold of these files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is it possible to bypass the laptop network card by USB tethering to download the drivers (assuming the USB driver is still there) Although android is better for doing that because there might be extra charges for iPhone tethering depending on the mobile provider.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Is it possible to bypass the laptop network card by USB tethering to download the drivers (assuming the USB driver is still there) Although android is better for doing that because there might be extra charges for iPhone tethering depending on the mobile provider.

USB tethering using an iPhone requires iTunes so if OP has ITunes they can tether that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

On laptop go:
    Start >> Run >> type ncpa.cpl and hit Enter - is there list of network adapters? Any marks on them?

On PC with internet go to http://www.toshiba.ie/support/consumerlaptops/
    Enter your laptop serial number (1c086097k) >> GO
    Switch to Download Drivers tab >> select OS(32 vs 64 !!) and Driver type accordingly to your system >> Search >>Download LAN driver, save to USB
    Install driver on laptop from USB(check this tutorial)
    Driver provided by Toshiba are pretty old, Windows Update might offer you later date drivers once you have internet restored on Ethernet adapter.

Create "Restore points" before and after driver installation(give distinguishing names), enable system protection for future

Once/if recover your laptop functionality - "mess" with system veeeery carefully - Win7 is outdated OS and drivers might not be available

USB tethering using an iPhone requires iTunes so if OP has ITunes they can tether that way.

This is getting a bit off topic. But what you're saying is itunes supports the .zip and .exe file formats that will be needed to transfer drivers?

Smuggler.ie...good call. As far as remember, Toshiba's download page is good and still supports Win 7, it was really weather it was the standard or Pro version. Good reminder though B)

Skyknight wrote: »
    Smuggler.ie...good call. As far as remember, Toshiba's download page is good and still supports Win 7, it was really weather it was the standard or Pro version. Good reminder though B)

Ok guys. Latest update.
    I have been trying the various links you supplied to download LAN drivers for my laptop. However each time I seems to hit a wall. In one link the “ LAN drivers “ link will not activate. In another link it is telling me that the particular laptop model I have is not available in my country i.e. Ireland even though I bought it here.
    Now I am doing this from my iPhone as I haven’t gotten access to another PC yet so this may be a factor.
    Any further thoughts ❓

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Ok guys. Latest update.
    I have been trying the various links you supplied to download LAN drivers for my laptop. However each time I seems to hit a wall. In one link the “ LAN drivers “ link will not activate. In another link it is telling me that the particular laptop model I have is not available in my country i.e. Ireland even though I bought it here.
    Now I am doing this from my iPhone as I haven’t gotten access to another PC yet so this may be a factor.
    Any further thoughts ❓

Go to your local library/net cafe and download them to flash drive. Or get local techie kid to sort it for you.

Ok guys. Latest update.
    Any further thoughts ❓
    Cant see where you failing...
    Model find by serial number, matching part number, able to download, ESET scan show "clean", unzipped, extracted .exe contains utilities(third party) and drivers.

Only two things i am not quite "happy" about is: downloaded (zipped) .exe contain "third party" cr@p and "explicitly revoked" cert on driver. Where you can avoid first by extracting and installing driver only, i cant explain second.
    The .exe itself is certified by Toshiba and it seems OK.
    Not an expert about certs so, anyone any ideas?

Cant see where you failing...
    Model find by serial number, matching part number, able to download, ESET scan show "clean", unzipped, extracted .exe contains utilities(third party) and drivers.

Only two things i am not quite "happy" about is: downloaded (zipped) .exe contain "third party" cr@p and "explicitly revoked" cert on driver. Where you can avoid first by extracting and installing driver only, i cant explain second.
    The .exe itself is certified by Toshiba and it seems OK.
    Not an expert about certs so, anyone any ideas?

Failing because OP is trying to use an iPhone. You can’t download files to an iPhone.

• Advertisement

Failing because OP is trying to use an iPhone. You can’t download files to an iPhone.
    I thought that was cleared between posts #19 and #24.
    Oh well.....

Advertisement