Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon HD6450 dual monitors Windows 10 not working

Options
  • 17-11-2018 4:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I have a work PC with a fresh install of Win 10 and all is working fine using one VGA monitor via the on-board VGA port.

I have another VGA monitor available and want to use both VGA monitors in a dual monitor setup.

I had a spare Radeon HD6450 GPU and stuck it into the machine & installed the latest Win 10 drivers but I'm damned if I can get it to detect the 2nd monitor.

The card has a VGA and DVI-D port so I had to use a DVI-D to VGA adapter for the 2nd monitor. DVI-D is a strange port compared to the DVI-I but I don't think that's the issue.

Anyway, the machine is only for everyday use such as Internet documents and spreadsheets so I don't need anything other than something that will run dual monitors on Win 10.

Anyone know of anything PCI-E that's cheap & cheerful that's known to work on Win 10 with two VGA monitors?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can't convert DVI-D to VGA, unfortunately. You need either a monitor with a DVI port or a card with a DVI-I port rather than D, but at this point it'd have to be an older card. Not sure what models obviously have DVI-I over DVI-D, you'd have to investigate.

I'm sure older cards like HD5450/GT420 and their respective extended low power families would be most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thanks for the reply TerrorFirmer, I did check before embarking on this mission :confused: and was sure you could convert DVI-D to VGA (see this article)

I then picked up one of these from Amazone but as per my post it ain't working for me.

I had a 4000 series card too but read on the Radeon site that their 4000 series cards did not support dual monitors under Windows 10.

I never expected this to be so awkward :D

Whats the best method to remove all traces of the HD6450 so I can try something else if I can find a cheap card? Will uninstall from the control panel be enough or will I need to use something like Display Driver Uninstaller?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement