Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period

• 17-11-2018 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

We just sold our house and I am looking to rent while i search to buy a house and so I am not in a chain.
    Most landlords are looking for a 1 year lease but i hope to have bought before then and dont need that long. As an example If I was to find a place and try to leave my rental after 6 months is this possible or can the landlord keep the deposit as I signed up for a year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

If you want to leave before the end of a fixed term lease, you would need to find a subletter or someone to assign the lease to (the latter is preferable from your point of view, as you can simply wash your hands of the whole thing afterwards, whereas with a subletter you are still obligated to the landlord and responsible for paying rent and for any damages your subletter does to the property and all that) and then ask the landlord for permission. If they refuse permission to sublet or assign, that gives you the right to terminate your fixed term lease without penalty. (You might still have to fight them to get your deposit back in those circumstances, though...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

Look at short term lets or holiday lets on a month to month basis.

Advertisement