Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread goes fourth.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Pro can downsample a 4k image to 1080, not as good as playing on a native 4k screen but it's a lot smoother. Pro can also record video in 1080 rather than 720 like the base PS4 can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I feel the Pro is much more suited to a 1080p screen. When I upgraded to a 4K TV for the house the Pro just got louder and the performance dropped,the difference visually wasn't worth that for me.

If were being honest it's not a 4K console at all,even with dynamic resolution scaling it struggles in some titles to maintain 30fps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Has GameStop removed all their new PS4 stock to sell their second hand consoles?

Or are the new consoles just sold out. It would be a typical GameStop thing to do to just remove new consoles to sell old ones for profitting in a time such as this.

Everyone is sold out, look at currys even they've no stock left. people are buying console left right and centre for boredom and kids, why would a retailer do the above.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

EoinHef wrote: »
    I feel the Pro is much more suited to a 1080p screen. When I upgraded to a 4K TV for the house the Pro just got louder and the performance dropped,the difference visually wasn't worth that for me.

If were being honest it's not a 4K console at all,even with dynamic resolution scaling it struggles in some titles to maintain 30fps

Really hope you’re wrong. Just bought a Samsung 28” 4k monitor today to replace my current non 4k 24” Aoc monitor.

Needed a second screen for work so used this as an excuse to buy a new gaming monitor and use the Aoc one for work.

I use a pro so was hoping for some level of graphical upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Really hope you’re wrong. Just bought a Samsung 28” 4k monitor today to replace my current non 4k 24” Aoc monitor.

Needed a second screen for work so used this as an excuse to buy a new gaming monitor and use the Aoc one for work.

I use a pro so was hoping for some level of graphical upgrade

witcher 3 is stunning on a pro with 4k tv... it comes up as HDR in the corner when loading.
    Dont forget to change the settings so it picks it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

witcher 3 is stunning on a pro with 4k tv... it comes up as HDR in the corner when loading.
    Dont forget to change the settings so it picks it up

Haven’t played that yet so will definitely put it on the list.

Might buy monster hunter again, I remember it had a mode for higher res if you had a pro and the right display. Been itchin to give it another go anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

HDR done right on the Pro is stunning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Free to play this weekend, Predator Hunting Grounds is up,
    https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/product/EP9000-CUSA19172_00-PREDATORHGSTRIAL

You must have Plus to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,595 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Free to play this weekend, Predator Hunting Grounds is up,
    https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/product/EP9000-CUSA19172_00-PREDATORHGSTRIAL

You must have Plus to play.

Zero matchmaking currently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Haven’t played that yet so will definitely put it on the list.

Might buy monster hunter again, I remember it had a mode for higher res if you had a pro and the right display. Been itchin to give it another go anyway!

Its an amazing game, currently on sale but sadly not the GOTY edition with 2 expansions etc

Probably the best game Ive played in a long long time, so much to it, huge world to explore, cant recommend it highly enough, the graphics, the NPC's , loads of little touches here and there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Got Gb broadband a few days ago and I'm absolutely loving it for downloading large games in a matter of minutes, however....... the PS4's wifi speed is still woeful in comparison to what it should be....

Before, I was on a 10Mb connection and my PS4 would download at 3Mb-5Mb speeds on a Wi-Fi signal. Okay, fine, it's wi-fi, I don't expect it to be 100% speed....

But explain to me why, on a 700Mb connection, does it only download at 80Mb on a Wi-Fi signal? That's 5% of what it should be doing. I think that's absolutely mental.

Now don't get me wrong, I was originally thinking it could be due to COVID-19 and companies potentially throttling people's bandwidth (??) but I have my own PS4 on a wired connection, and it downloaded at full speed. My fiancée's PS4 is on a wi-fi connection in the living room and her thing only downloads at about 100Mb/s. The house isn't even big. It's a typical upstairs/downstairs house, the router is only outside the living room door, it's got a full bar of signal.

I know the whole routine of leaving the PS4 in sleep mode increases the download speed (somehow....) but in this case, hers won't speed up, even when there's nothing else going on.

I've always agreed that the PS4's download speeds are very poor, and I can only hope Sony bucks up its ideas.

If I could get a wired connection without moving the router, and without making a mess of the place with wires, I would do it in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Got Gb broadband a few days ago and I'm absolutely loving it for downloading large games in a matter of minutes, however....... the PS4's wifi speed is still woeful in comparison to what it should be....

Before, I was on a 10Mb connection and my PS4 would download at 3Mb-5Mb speeds on a Wi-Fi signal. Okay, fine, it's wi-fi, I don't expect it to be 100% speed....

But explain to me why, on a 700Mb connection, does it only download at 80Mb on a Wi-Fi signal? That's 5% of what it should be doing. I think that's absolutely mental.

Now don't get me wrong, I was originally thinking it could be due to COVID-19 and companies potentially throttling people's bandwidth (??) but I have my own PS4 on a wired connection, and it downloaded at full speed. My fiancée's PS4 is on a wi-fi connection in the living room and her thing only downloads at about 100Mb/s. The house isn't even big. It's a typical upstairs/downstairs house, the router is only outside the living room door, it's got a full bar of signal.

I know the whole routine of leaving the PS4 in sleep mode increases the download speed (somehow....) but in this case, hers won't speed up, even when there's nothing else going on.

I've always agreed that the PS4's download speeds are very poor, and I can only hope Sony bucks up its ideas.

If I could get a wired connection without moving the router, and without making a mess of the place with wires, I would do it in a heartbeat.

The download speed on PSN has been capped in Europe atm, but as you say the wifi speed on the PS4 is awful as was the PS3.

The download speed on PSN has been capped in Europe atm, but as you say the wifi speed on the PS4 is awful as was the PS3.

Believe me I've always disliked PSN's wifi speeds. At the same time, though, my wired speed has been fine??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah the wifi was always bad. When I got Siro installed the router had to go behind the tv which was handy for connecting the ethernet cable to the PlayStation

I know it's PS3 but I see the Singstar icon is no longer there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Annoyed that Disney+ is now the main option in the TV section and I have an extra move to open Netflix or YouTube and of course always forget it. And I can't arrange them either. Annoying.

Anyway, I haven't really had any issues over Wi-Fi with the PS4 since I got the 150Mb on FTTH. Yeah, it doesn't download as quick as it should, but still downloading way faster than before. I do have the Vodafone Gigabit router, and it is a serious bit of kit in fairness. Never had an issue with connection (it does reload the connection every am between 2 and 5, but that's only for a minute or so, and better for it overall). And I'm 2 rooms/4 walls away.

But I do hope they get a decent wireless card/chip in the 5.

Buying a small router and setting it up as a wireless bridge is an option, connection over wifi between it and main router and then wired to everything by TV. Better yet is to buy 2 and set up a dedicated wireless bridge. People see the large speed rating on their routers and don't realise that's total throughput.

Powerline adaptors also an option if you don't own any sensitive audio equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Actually, that does remind me, when I was using a phone on 4G hotspot, if I connected the laptop to the hotspot, and then connected the PS4 via Ethernet to the laptop, I got better speeds somehow.

The launch PS4 is wireless N and is only ~150Mbps.

The PS4 slim and Pro are either AC 300/433Mbps or 400/867Mbps on 5GHz/2.4GHz respectively.

So always better with Ethernet, or using a powerline or building a wireless bridge.

Varik wrote: »
    Buying a small router and setting it up as a wireless bridge is an option, connection over wifi between it and main router and then wired to everything by TV. Better yet is to buy 2 and set up a dedicated wireless bridge. People see the large speed rating on their routers and don't realise that's total throughput.

Powerline adaptors also an option if you don't own any sensitive audio equipment.

the previous residents actually left their router here. it is the exact same one as mine as well. I dunno if that would be of any use

• Advertisement

the previous residents actually left their router here. it is the exact same one as mine as well. I dunno if that would be of any use

Depends on what model it is, if it's a branded one from any of the big ISP then it's not much use.

Varik wrote: »
    Depends on what model it is, if it's a branded one from any of the big ISP then it's not much use.

Gigabox-Image.jpg

not my photo, but it's that one anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah the wifi was always bad. When I got Siro installed the router had to go behind the tv which was handy for connecting the ethernet cable to the PlayStation

I got Siro in a few months back and like yourself the router is right beside the TV. I read somewhere though, possibly on here, that connecting it via cable doesn't really offer much in the way of improved speeds. Does it?

not my photo, but it's that one anyway

You won't be able to set up a wireless bridge with that.

If you bought a powerline adaptor you could use that with that router acting as a ethernet switch and have that connected to consoles/TV/whatever and it would also work as a new wireless access point.

powerline have their own problems and ethernet is always better.

I got Siro in a few months back and like yourself the router is right beside the TV. I read somewhere though, possibly on here, that connecting it via cable doesn't really offer much in the way of improved speeds. Does it?

I'll be honest and say I can't remember the last time I downloaded something without just letting it run in the background. So haven't really noticed.
    May download the FFVII demo later and see.

Edit: 19 mins to download 7.6GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭CWF

Just noticed today is the last day of Control being 23 euro on the playstation store. Is it any good? Would you recommend it? Or would I better off picking up days gone for a few extra euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

CWF wrote: »
    Just noticed today is the last day of Control being 23 euro on the playstation store. Is it any good? Would you recommend it? Or would I better off picking up days gone for a few extra euro

My top two games of last year, you can't go wrong either way imo. Days Gone will definitely last you longer, genuinely tense and exciting gameplay, story is Walking Dead crossed with Sons of Anarchy. Control is more weird sci fi story, with a great atmosphere and a few really cool abilities as you progress. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭CWF

JimBurnley wrote: »
    My top two games of last year, you can't go wrong either way imo. Days Gone will definitely last you longer, genuinely tense and exciting gameplay, story is Walking Dead crossed with Sons of Anarchy. Control is more weird sci fi story, with a great atmosphere and a few really cool abilities as you progress. Enjoy!

Awesome thanks for that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Go with Control. It's genuinely a load of fun. Days Gone on the other hand is a game that reviewed poorly yet some people love it but it baffles me that they do, the reviews were spot on.

• Advertisement

CWF wrote: »
    Performance on consoles is woeful by some accounts. Like 10-20fps sometimes. Maybe one to revisit on next-gen if they have boost modes and whatnot

Advertisement