Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread goes fourth.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's 4:20 am, I had just finished a game of 2K20, and the fan was louder again. Not to the level in the video, but definitely louder, about 30-40% of what it was in the video. Was coming and going, but even now in the after game, it's spinning louder. Not sure why, maybe because of the HDR which I normally don't have on my own tv, I'm tempted to open it up again and check the thermal paste, but really at this stage I think it's just bad design. The heat coming out the back of it is crazy.

Started up MW and did the same process as per my initial post about changing it, into a game, back out, in lobby and it's currently spinning at about 60-70% of the pre-change. I'm at a loss. If it's not just bad design, the only thing it could be at this stage are the thermal pads for the RAM.

Edit: Even letting it just sit there at the XMB with nothing happening (Ghost of Tsushima active background) the fan is going at a low, albeit audible rate. Granted, it's early and the house is otherwise quiet, but still... Is one supposed ot let the paste dry before using it again?!

Edit 2: Just finished a few hours session of Mad Max, fan was audible throughout, but low, console is red though above the CPU area with the heat it's producing. Must be something else causing this.

That sucks, man. Mine's still pretty quiet but all I've really played on it since is Borderlands which I don't think ever made it too bad pre-fix anyway, and Bloodborne which I've no idea if it'd normally drive the fans crazy either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,895 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My thermal paste is out for delivery should get it early next week. Potential, the first game in testing (before and after) is nba 2k20 as it's guaranteed to turn it into a jet so at least we can compare. I'll try take a video of mine as well, of the sound test that is, not the opening of the ps4 as no one wants to watch an hour long video of me cursing at screws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Depending on the thermal paste there can be a burn in period before it sets fully. I wouldnt be expecting much extra performance though.

Changing the fan would make the most sense to me. A fan that shifts the same volume of air at a lower DB would make the most sense.

Not ideal if its a fan that hasn't been in any revision of PS4 though. The fan profile the console will have will be based on the stock fan. If you get a fan thats quieter but less efficient you may run into over heating issues as it wouldnt be sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

There are a few teardown videos comparing the 70XX and 72XX models. It seems like there isn't much if any difference hardware wise.

There was a test done when the 72XX series released and the conclusion was that the fans were set to run at a lower speed, creating less noise but letting the system run hotter, though still below it's thermal limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

For those who missed out on this earlier on

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1281597116310331394?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

bugs wrote: »
    There are a few teardown videos comparing the 70XX and 72XX models. It seems like there isn't much if any difference hardware wise.

There was a test done when the 72XX series released and the conclusion was that the fans were set to run at a lower speed, creating less noise but letting the system run hotter, though still below it's thermal limit.

If only we could access the consoles fan profile:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

EoinHef wrote: »
    If only we could access the consoles fan profile:(

Can you imagine

Onkrp9ct.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

For those who missed out on this earlier on

I've been using that theme since the official announcement, seems they're giving it away again.

Edit: Just read your post again... derp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Out on August 4th

Would make a good PS+ game

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Would make a good PS+ game

Well August 4th is the day August ps plus games would release so coincidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Is it not free-to-play? Looks like that sort of game to me anyway.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Is it not free-to-play? Looks like that sort of game to me anyway.

Well it's 19.99 on steam so doubt it

Got my Thermal Paste today...... Now to think of a good excuse to put it off and not do it.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Got my Thermal Paste today...... Now to think of a good excuse to put it off and not do it.

tenor.gif

Penn wrote: »
    tenor.gif

Did you have to remove warranty stickers? Looks like I have 2 to remove. Or did you just go in from the top? I opened the top before to clean the fan, thought i could go that way but the vid has him going from underneath, removing the hdd and stickers and then opening it up.

Ok, fan and thermal paste replaced, and the difference is night and day. I booted up from a cold start, started MW (download update...), quick play, played for 10 seconds, backed out and video is in the menu. You can hear the fan easily.

Powered off, took apart, replaced the fan (already had the Nidec, but put in the new one anyway), cleaned CPU and reapplied thermal paste. Put it back together. Started MW, quick play for 10 seconds, quit back out to the lobby, and you could barely hear it then.

I'll have to give it a bit more time and play a bit more intensively, but as you can see from the pic, replacing the paste is probably what resolved this. Highly recommended if you can do it yourself, or get someone to do it for you. For reference, I have the Pro 7016b model, and the teardown was slightly different to most videos, but still manageable. One note is that most videos remove the power supply before the shields and motherboard on the other side, but there were 2 screws holding the power supply in from the other side which wasn't in the videos.

Before
    After

Did you order new stickers? Only thing stopping me opening it as trade in is more important than fan noise.

Did you have to remove warranty stickers? Looks like I have 2 to remove. Or did you just go in from the top? I opened the top before to clean the fan, thought i could go that way but the vid has him going from underneath, removing the hdd and stickers and then opening it up.

Definitely have to take off the warrantly stickers. The screws behind have to be taken out for the bottom cover to be taken off, and the whole board is screwed in from the underside, so you can't access it from under the top cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

Well judging by the initial reviews of Ghost Of Tsushima :

#GhostOfTsushima
    early review scores

Game Informer 9.5
    Destructoid 9.5
    IGN 9
    Easy Allies 8.5
    Press Start 8.5
    TheSixthAxis 8
    USG 4/5
    GameSpot 7
    VG247 3/5
    VGC 3/5

Here's a good reason to use that Thermal Paste :)

I actually have no hype for Ghost of Tsushima, one of those that I'll pick up down the line but in no rush. And to think I was joking about looking for an excuse to apply it but actually can't without replacement stickers and searching on ebay and amazon shows up nothing for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I actually have no hype for Ghost of Tsushima, one of those that I'll pick up down the line but in no rush. And to think I was joking about looking for an excuse to apply it but actually can't without replacement stickers and searching on ebay and amazon shows up nothing for me.

You'll have to somewhere like Ali-Express for those.

And to think I was joking about looking for an excuse to apply it but actually can't without replacement stickers and searching on ebay and amazon shows up nothing for me.

Yeah I was going to mock you for that but if it means say €200 trade-in against a PS5 in a few months, you could bulk-buy some ear plugs for €50 to do you until then and still be up €150.

I'll not be trading in the PS4 so I didn't even think twice about it.

Yeah I was going to mock you for that but if it means say €200 trade-in against a PS5 in a few months, you could bulk-buy some ear plugs for €50 to do you until then and still be up €150.

I'll not be trading in the PS4 so I didn't even think twice about it.

I might come across stickers but if I don't, then I might as well eat that paste :)

I might come across stickers but if I don't, then I might as well eat that paste :)

At least since it's thermal paste, it won't give you heartburn :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Did you order new stickers? Only thing stopping me opening it as trade in is more important than fan noise.

You have to remove them, but funnily enough they're not on later models, so not sure how that'll work. I very carefully took them off, only the top half of each sticker can you barely see the VOID, but back on the console you wouldn't notice unless you actually inspected them.

Couldn't find replacement stickers myself either. I'm probably gonna get the PS5 before trading in the 4, and if a shop won't take it I reckon it could be easily sold (most likely for more) on DoneDeal or something similar.

On that note, I have only been playing Mad Max the last few days and I'm beginning to think that the night the fan went mad was because the room was melting (didn't realise it at the time), so possibly that was the cause. I'll have a blast of 2K20 later and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Take your pick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Lads

Any recommendations for a game to play next? I've just finished Last of Us 2 and it has rekindled my interest in good single player story games.

I was thinking of giving Red Dead 2 a go as haven't played it yet. Was also considering Jedi Fallen Order, but that seems to get very average feedback.

Is there anything else you'd recommend?

Just to note, I've played Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn and Assassins Creed Odyssey already.

Cheers.

SK1979 wrote: »
    Lads

Any recommendations for a game to play next? I've just finished Last of Us 2 and it has rekindled my interest in good single player story games.

I was thinking of giving Red Dead 2 a go as haven't played it yet. Was also considering Jedi Fallen Order, but that seems to get very average feedback.

Just to note, I've played Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn and Assassins Creed Odyssey already.

Cheers.

God of War is a must if you haven't already. The Uncharted games too.

Red Dead 2 is a great game, but it has its flaws and can be a bit of a slog. Controls and just the extra steps and obstacles it adds along the way really make it a pain at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

God of War is a must if you haven't already. The Uncharted games too.

Red Dead 2 is a great game, but it has its flaws and can be a bit of a slog. Controls and just the extra steps and obstacles it adds along the way really make it a pain at times.

Oh how could I forget I have played god of war. Damn I so wish I hadn't though.

I do actually have the unchartered games there and haven't played from 3 onwards so might give that a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

SK1979 wrote: »
    Lads

Cheers.

Witcher 3 if you haven’t played that yet, especially if you liked Odyssey and that type of game. It does everything better than it though.

Ratchet and Clank is excellent too, very light in tone so it’s not much like the other games you mentioned but every PS4 owner should give it a go.

Advertisement