Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v New Zealand match thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    Germany play rugby did i see that right?

Coached by mike ford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Germany play rugby did i see that right?

Yes, and they were well on there way to becoming a very good team by all accounts. There main club was heavily backed by the guy who owns the Capri Sun company. He paid the players, brought in some top class coaches and they were developing nicely.

He then bought one of the Top 14 clubs and was told he had to sell either them or the German club. He pulled out of the German club, but paid 300k to see them through to the end of this year.

Rugby was popular in Germany before one of the world wars.

Think it was in the guardian or bbc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Really have to work on the lineout. Twice we lost 5m lineouts on our own throw when we could have sealed the game. Another one we let dribble out and were lucky to hang onto it.
    I hope that the win, as great as it was, doesn't cloud the fact that we should really have won by 10-20 points had we been more clinical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ireland were brilliant tonight. A lot of great performances.
    For me though it's a bit tempered by a feeling that this New Zealand team has looked a little fatigued over the last two months. The losses to South Africa and England we're poor performances. I feel like we will see a much different beast come the World Cup.

Eagle eye!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Fair play to Ireland today.they played some great rugby and never let up the pressure.great win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Whenever someone or a team loses they become overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Trolling in this thread

futsal-red-card.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Really have to work on the lineout. Twice we lost 5m lineouts on our own throw when we could have sealed the game. Another one we let dribble out and were lucky to hang onto it.
    I hope that the win, as great as it was, doesn't cloud the fact that we should really have won by 10-20 points had we been more clinical.

It was disappointing but you need to take into account the quality of the second row pairing we were up against. Retallick is a phenomenal player and Whitelock is merely one of the top 5 locks in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Jonathan Sexton will be live on The Ray Darcy Show next week....with a big grin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Buer wrote: »
    It was disappointing but you need to take into account the quality of the second row pairing we were up against. Retallick is a phenomenal player and Whitelock is merely one of the top 5 locks in the world.
    That is very true. Maybe I'm just being overly critical. I just feel our lineout isn't as good as it should be, especially when Toner goes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

That is very true. Maybe I'm just being overly critical. I just feel our lineout isn't as good as it should be, especially when Toner goes off.

Maybe that is the level we should judge ourselves to. We are the second best team in the world. We need to be looking to win lineouts in the 5m channel against anyone in the world. Certainly there are mitigating factors but I reckon that is something Joe will take from this.

Actually, I've watched the last 10 minutes again. The two kicks from McGrath were actually very good. First one was a pre-determined move. It was to go into a maul and the box kick. The back line had all come up into the line for a chase and he went immediately to the far side of the maul to shape up for the kick. It landed on the edge of the 22 with chasers arriving.

The second kick took place from halfway. Barnes audibly tells the Irish carriers "make sure you arrive up, make sure you arrive up!", pointing to them. He was looking forensically to penalise Ireland for going off feet. He was right to kick. Plenty of air and landed within the sideline and 5m line which gave us a great opportunity of putting the catcher into touch. Could have gone 5m further but could not fault it otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hand on heart I thought the loss of Murray would have cost us marginally tonight. Marmion didn't half step up. His delivery was crisp and he chipped in admirably on defense. McGrath paled in comparison when he came on and almost cost us.

Overall though there was a real sense of collective effort that they were going to leave everything out there tonight. We rattled the All Blacks and that's not something that happens very often. We were full value for the win and hopefully Schmidt is sufficiently bolstered by the win to stay on.

Agreed. And I don’t think it was Cronin coming on either. NZ had 4 jumpers today and outside our first 2 jumpers our level drops off. Won’t say who I think needs to pick up their lineout game and take ownership of that facet of play but he has been called a lion tonight and one of the best in the world at 22 years of age

Aidric wrote: »
    Hand on heart I thought the loss of Murray would have cost us marginally tonight. Marmion didn't half step up. His delivery was crisp and he chipped in admirably on defense. McGrath paled in comparison when he came on and almost cost us.

Honestly, McGrath didn't put a foot wrong when he came on. Put in a massive defensive shift and his passing, a real issue of his at times, was pretty much perfect. He played 20 minutes but only 5 Irish players made more tackles.

The two scrum halves had fine games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Heymans wrote: »
    Agreed. And I don’t think it was Cronin coming on either. NZ had 4 jumpers today and outside our first 2 jumpers our level drops off. Won’t say who I think needs to pick up their lineout game and take ownership of that facet of play but he has been called a lion tonight and one of the best in the world at 22 years of age

The two lineouts we lost were throws to Henderson and Murphy.

Both were slow up and beaten to the ball, either a lethargic lift or poor understanding between jumper and thrower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

After tonight we know we are not completely ****ed if something happens murray.

However....

- we are still totally reliant on sexton, carbery needs proper game time between now and the world cup.

- our lineout goes to the dogs when toner and pom go off.

- FB is a **** storm outside of kearney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

WOW!

Both were slow up and beaten to the ball, either a lethargic lift or poor understanding between jumper and thrower.

Yes I know that but how many lineout were thrown to Ryan? Not many. He needs to take on the responsibility and ownership of lineout possession to be really top class in my view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

vienne86 wrote: »
    McGrath on for Marmion. Good.

Bad post.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Is there anyway I can rewatch the match?
    I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Is there anyway I can rewatch the match?
    I missed it.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/rugby-union/on-demand/69157-002

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

Does this mean Ireland are number one in world rankings?

Yes I know that but how many lineout were thrown to Ryan? Not many. He needs to take on the responsibility and ownership of lineout possession to be really top class in my view

Our very first lineout of the game went to him anyway. Wasn't counting after that.

I'd imagine the vast majority went to Toner because that's his specialty.

Ryan was fantastic around the field. As was Toner to be fair to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

[HTML][/HTML]

No i think we are just short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

He is top class.

If you can't see that you're deaf, dumb and dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Ireland Rugby is as good we have been at anything since the Eurovision in the 90s

nope. home advantage means you get less points for a win and AB's were a bit too far ahead also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

O Mahony is a god amongst gods!

He is Zeus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Didn’t have time to post during the match, so I just logged on to say there were so many incredible performances in there...and I love you Jacob stockdale

Fair play to Ireland today.they played some great rugby and never let up the pressure.great win.

really impressed that they managed to be an 80 minutes team. only slip was the lineout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

twinytwo wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

No i think we are just short

Such rubbish, we’re obviously best in the world right now and deserve to be number one

Didn’t have time to post during the match, so I just logged on to say there were so many incredible performances in there...and I love you Jacob stockdale

nearly villain but for lack of Read's motor skills at the crucial moment, was the hero. margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭patob

And 2 box kicks that could have gotten him strung up by a nation!

That box kick with less than 2 mins was a shocker, going through a few phases could have closed it out, Joe must have lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

The Irish lads are at the after dinner swinging their big c@cks around

The All Blacks are hiding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Such rubbish, we’re obviously best in the world right now and deserve to be number one

That's not how it works. You don't get to be number one based on the result of a single match, and that's just right.

Clegg wrote: »
    He is top class.

If you can't see that you're deaf, dumb and dead.

And that’s the exact attitude that will ensure we don’t continue to get better. Thinking we are class when there’s room for improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

patob wrote: »
    That box kick with less than 2 mins was a shocker, going through a few phases could have closed it out, Joe must have lost it.

The ref warned us about being squeaky clean if we went pick and go. It was exactly the right option.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dragon_lordMTB

Steve Hanson says we can be considered the best team of 2018. And he's right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He did say he felt they could have have held onto the ball longer at that point but qualified it with the fact they were well worked.

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's not how it works. You don't get to be number one based on the result of a single match, and that's just right.

We're about 1/3 of a point behind them now I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ah yes, and Tuilagi is a Yorkshire name I suppose

Nevermind him.

Their fúcking best player Billy Vunipola and his brother are born and bred Geordie sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ryan and Toner were magnificent today. Henderson also put in a good shift. Think it's pretty clear Beirne wasn't missed.

Maybe Joe knows a bit about this rugby lark, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Going to echo what's been posted by people on this thread already. But we rattled New Zealand from the first to the last minute. They didn't get a chance to breath. Ireland made them look ordinary the whole game. I couldn't be happier with the result.

Joe Schmidt has turned Ireland into a cup winning team.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The ref warned us about being squeaky clean if we went pick and go. It was exactly the right option.

This.

The ref specifically told Ireland to remain on their feet when cleaning out.
    Kicking the ball was the correct decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

Steve wrote: »
    We're about 1/3 of a point behind them now I think.

No it will still be about 1.4 points.

The 1/3 of a point thing was just if we got a large victory (15+ points) if I remember correctly.
    Going off of this thing.

https://rawling.github.io/wr-calc/?d=2018-11-12&f=1:52,51,5,31;725,735,42,17,1;68,46,7,68,1;720,45,27,19;770,714,17,5;753,64,0,49;41,38,7,26;33,47,74,24;43,58,34,13;50,721,29,10,1;34,49,35,15;35,39,20,26;36,37,16,9;42,40;735,721,,,1;725,50,,,1;52,68;44,58;41,37;720,47;64,770;49,756,,,1;35,40;43,45;34,38;33,39;36,51;42,46;

As I posted earlier, watch it again. The referee specifically warned Ireland about their body positions going into rucks on the phase before the box kick. We were in a high risk position to concede a penalty and be in the exact same position as 2013. I would guess that kicking in that scenario was pre-rehearsed.

The kick itself was pretty much on the money. Lots of height and dropped it between the 5m line and touch with a chase.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

I don't think you'll get much joy trying to explain this sort of thing tonight!

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Ryan and Toner were magnificent today. Henderson also put in a good shift. Think it's pretty clear Beirne wasn't missed.

Maybe Joe knows a bit about this rugby lark, eh?

You could see the lineout pretty much disintegrate when toner went off. The chap is unreal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement