Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v New Zealand match thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Heymans wrote: »
    Clegg wrote: »
    He is top class.

If you can't see that you're deaf, dumb and dead.

And that’s the exact attitude that will ensure we don’t continue to get better. Thinking we are class when there’s room for improvement
    Ryan just outplayed the best player in the world. You've shifted the goalposts so much we've gone from the Aviva to Donnybrook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

glasso wrote: »
    nope. home advantage means you get less points for a win and AB's were a bit too far ahead also.
    Caluclated that they're 92.54 and we're at 91.17. Wales are third on 86.70.

Going to echo what's been posted by people on this thread already. But we rattled New Zealand from the first to the last minute. They didn't get a chance to breath. Ireland made them look ordinary the whole game. I couldn't be happier with the result.

Joe Schmidt has turned Ireland into a cup winning team.

unfortunately if he takes the NZ job there will be no point in any other country playing test rugby union.

(but let him win the WC first with Ireland!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think this was a better performance than Chicago. NZ came into this game knowing that they were playing number 2 in the world so no complacency. This was a ferocious match and Ireland were out on their feet at the end but NZ made mistakes too because of the pressure they were put under. The only negative was losing lineouts at crucial times. Fair play to the NZ team and their fans on Planet Rugby forum, absolute class in defeat. Never thought I would see the day when we beat NZ never mind beat then twice

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Steve wrote: »
    We're about 1/3 of a point behind them now I think.

Does that mean we'd be no 1 by the time the first game of the 6 nations rolls around ( presuming we win)

They've Italy next week and nothing til June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Buer wrote: »
    As I posted earlier, watch it again. The referee specifically warned Ireland about their body positions going into rucks on the phase before the box kick. We were in a high risk position to concede a penalty and be in the exact same position as 2013. I would guess that kicking in that scenario was pre-rehearsed.

The kick itself was pretty much on the money. Lots of height and dropped it between the 5m line and touch with a chase.

I was going livid at him at the time but probably the right option. Possibly didn't help that I thought it was going out on the full when it was in mid air.

Stops the risk of a penalty. Takes some time in the air and for NZ to get their attacking line straight. Just need to get the ball one more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Try_harder wrote: »
    O Mahony is a god amongst gods!

He is Zeus

Well he is a god in my book, he isnt big by backrow standards and to take some of the clean out shots he takes....

Was it the second test against AUS.. 4 of the aussie pack hit him one after the other. Completely folded him and he still came away with the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

nearly villain but for lack of Read's motor skills at the crucial moment, was the hero. margins.

I would be more critical of him if I was sober. But that one moment was pure joy and I’ve watched it about 20 times on loop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Weepsie wrote: »
    Does that mean we'd be no 1 by the time the first game of the 6 nations rolls around ( presuming we win)

They've Italy next week and nothing til June

Not entirely sure, I think Christy42 is probably right here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

unfortunately if he takes the NZ job there will be no point in any other country playing test rugby union.

(but let him win the WC first with Ireland!)

Well if he dosent stay i hope he goes back to NZ. Apparently the RFU are gonna make him a ridiculous offer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Unbelievable. POM, I can't believe how good he is. Phenomenal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What i love about this win was the fact that we actually deserved it. In 2016, it was against a "poor NZ team" and we took advantage of their mistakes. This time we were better in pretty much every area. Unreal performance from the entire team.

COYBIG!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Hope this puts to bed anyone saying CJ isn't good enough for Irish 8!!
    Was immense tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

As if his legend status couldn't go up any higher.

https://twitter.com/alang0486/status/1063904512006598658?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Trying not to get carried away in the moment...but am I out of my mind in thinking that James Ryan and retallick are the standout second rows in the world? Like I was always cautious in saying Ryan was top 5 because I didn’t want to get ahead of myself. But he’s proper legit, isn’t he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Thought Rob Kearney was excellent tonight.
    Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Hope this puts to bed anyone saying CJ isn't good enough for Irish 8!!
    Was immense tonight!

My MotM after 15 minutes alone.

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's not how it works. You don't get to be number one based on the result of a single match, and that's just right.

At the same time, if you combine every game since Joe took over we actually come out on top. We're not as effective at taking down other nations as the All Blacks are, but Joe has had them sussed from the get go, and now he has the squad to go out and execute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

how Irish rugby has changed since the 2000s. we are like Wales now in that we play rugby with confidence and know we can play and win against the best. When is the last time a team of Ireland England Wales or Scotland beat NZ? Did England beat them in 2013?

• Advertisement

Thought Rob Kearney was excellent tonight.
    Just saying.

He's always excellent. He had a season were he wasn't at his best. But his best is the perhaps the absolute standard for that position

Kiith wrote: »
    What i love about this win was the fact that we actually deserved it. In 2016, it was against a "poor NZ team" and we took advantage of their mistakes. This time we were better in pretty much every area. Unreal performance from the entire team.

COYBIG!!! :D

Ireland should have won in 2013 also. more composure in the last 5 mins and we would have closed it out. The gap in standard now between Ireland and NZ has narrowed big time.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Ireland should have won in 2013 also. more composure in the last 5 mins and we would have closed it out. The gap in standard now between Ireland and NZ has narrowed big time.

BOD still sickened about 2013 I'm sure. big one missed for his rugby story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I think its Furlong has them sussed. Would I be correct that he has only been on the loosing side to them twice in the 6 tests they have tried to beat him ?

Amprodude wrote: »
    how Irish rugby has changed since the 2000s. we are like Wales now in that we play rugby with confidence and know we can play and win against the best. When is the last time a team of Ireland England Wales or Scotland beat NZ? Did England beat them in 2013?

2012, but they've run them close most games since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭moycullen14

No Murray, henshaw or sob. It really was great. Kicking the ball in the last few phases obviously the right call. What might have been in 2013....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Munster team of 1978 can now pass the mantle to the Ireland team of 2018

2x teams to beat the All Blacks on Irish soil

Steve Hansen :

"As I said earlier in the week this was number one versus number two in the world. So as of now they are the number-one team in the world. I guess they are favourites [for the World Cup]"
    Steve wrote: »
    futsal-red-card.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Delighted for jordi, injured in Chicago, had a strange couple of years, then injury gives him a chance to come off the bench and close out the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I know means feck all but they should of named a cup or shield etc for ties between us and new zealand and called it 'the Anthony Foley cup' or something and it gets defended everytime we play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They beat England....

Not exactly eagle eyed

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I missed the Stockdale try cause i was dying for a piss :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I know means feck all but they should of named a cup or shield etc for ties between us and new zealand and called it 'the Anthony Foley cup' or something and it gets defended everytime we play

Yes that would be a great shout

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Does there have to be a cup for every tie these days? I know it's a nice sentiment in a way but I'd prefer to leave some games as they are, based purely on the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Penalty count was 5 - 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

awec wrote: »
    I missed the Stockdale try cause i was dying for a piss :(:(:(

Now you must go for a piss every time we need a score for evermore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,128 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Exhausted after that. Never thought I would see the day tbh. I honestly think that we are the best team in the world. NZ had no clue how to beat us or dominate long enough to work a try. Something else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Almost blacked out at the end. Was slamming my fists on my thighs. Wife said I was screaming about Vincent Clerc. Good men, every last one. So proud and happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Longing

No need to say no more!

240_F_86748094_oFkBlA47oAYuzzHInQSwD5km3lk8n4LR.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Does there have to be a cup for every tie these days? I know it's a nice sentiment in a way but I'd prefer to leave some games as they are, based purely on the win.

Yeah, our trophy cabinet is getting a bit cluttered.

So far this year we've won the Millennium trophy, the Triple Crown, the Six Nations, the Lansdowne Cup and the Centenary Quaich.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

No there shouldn’t

No there shouldn’t

Maybe for a series, not for an individual test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Penalty count was 5 - 11

I think New Zealand had 9 against them in the first half so that is some turnaround for them between halves if my memory isn't off.

troyzer wrote: »

So far this year we've won the Millennium trophy, the Triple Crown, the Six Nations, the Lansdowne Cup and the Centenary Quaich.

And we have the Brown Cup at the moment as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Really, we should have won the last 4 meetings against the All Blacks.

Should have closed out the win in 2013 and there was some atrocious refereeing in the second 2016 test which somehow left them with 15 men on the field.

The rankings might not say it, but Ireland are the best rugby team in the world right now.

And they fcuking know it too!!!

NZ will find Ireland hard to beat in the future. The monkey is gone now and Ireland will never fear them again.

troyzer wrote: »

And we have the Brown Cup at the moment as well.

What is that? Never heard of it.

Rte gave marmion 6.5/10 because he's not Conor Murray.

Complained he was slower with passing (he is, but he was accurate which is important) and complained about his kicking.

For my money, he didn't do much if any pointless kicks at all. He slotted in very, very well and were blessed we've such a good back up 9

They gave Carberry a 7 and he was barely on the pitch long enough to be rated

The noise at full time. It just didn't stop, unreal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement