Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v New Zealand match thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Delighted for Ireland. Delighted for Kieran Marmion especially. What a performance

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/nov/18/ireland-all-blacks-113-year-wait-over-peter-omahony-kieran-marmion-magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    It's only a game played by a handful of countries
    As opposed to a game played by loads of countries that we're shyte at, have always been shyte at, and will always be shyte at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Irrational exuberance is entirely appropriate tonight. What an extraordinary performance from the whole team. I had thought we’d be in trouble in both lineouts and scrums and was delighted to be wrong about both. Their scrum was surprisingly poor. Our lineout, while excellent today, is too Toner-dependent. POM was brilliant. VdF is so agile that when he pops up among the backs he looks entirely at home. And what’s with Healy these days? He’s found his fire again. The ABs just couldn’t get clean breaks - nearly everybody who got passed tried to get some sort of tackle in. I must also admit that Kearney played very well.

Joe was typically downbeat about the win:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/joe-schmidt-in-damp-down-mode-after-irish-victory-1.3701860

If we’re serious about next year, this is only where we start. There’s a world of work to be done yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

That's the first time I've smiled today. I lost my mum this morning, so thank you thank you THANK YOU Ireland. Thank you for giving me a good memory of this day for years.

Sorry for your loss.

awec wrote: »
    Awec will show you the way.

Technically, it was two...

/runs away fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

NZ never got much going out wide. I’ll leave it to the rugby nerds to determine how much blame or credit should be apportioned for that non-event.

One thing that gets my goat - Lenihan describing Sam Cane as having a broken neck rather than a broken bone in his neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

As someone who doesn't know anything about rugby why is this such a big deal?

If someone could do a Montage of the match to Shallow by lady gaga Id appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Peter Jackson! Russell Crowe! Edmund Hillary! Lorde! Ernest Rutherford! Neil Finn! Kiri Te Kanawa! Rachel Hunter! The ghost of Jonah Lomu! Jacinda Arden! The Flight of the Conchords guys!

YOUR BOYS TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

PTH2009 wrote: »
    He played alright though
    Darts were good
    He flung some loose passes and lost the ball also
    Not bad for a 36 year old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

batistuta9 wrote: »

For someone who knows nothing about rugby why are you in the rugby forum?

Wailin wrote: »
    For someone who knows nothing about rugby why are you in the rugby forum?

Threads on the first page of the site, thought I'd ask. You guys would know more that the people in the pub just saying Ireland beat the all blacks, etc.

Is a monkey off the back thing or what

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Marmion plays for Connacht
    Therein lies the issue

Think it's more a case he didn't do anything flashy for the highlights reel. Just did every thing he had to do really well. Boring but thats how these things get judged.

Lot of hate on Twitter for Toner from the Welsh clowns because Beirne isn't involved. But top tackler in the first half, a functioning lineout and scrum, and some lovely passes. But because he can't jackal or do other highlight reel stuff he is labelled as crap.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Dreamt all night about the match, woke up smiling, realised it wasn’t a dream! No voice left, was just amazing, crowd were awesome, will remember that night for a long long time. Roll on the 6N.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Threads on the first page of the site, thought I'd ask. You guys would know more that the people in the pub just saying Ireland beat the all blacks, etc.

Is a monkey off the back thing or what

NZ are the best team in the world, often lauded as the best team in sport full stop.

Ireland have only ever beaten them once in their history - in Chicago two years. This is our first win in Ireland against them.

This is the last time we'll play before next year's World Cup.

It's 1st versus 2nd in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

New Zealand are number 1 in the world, Ireland are number 2. This might mean in the next rankings Ireland are number 1.

Also New Zealand do not lose rugby matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

yyt wrote: »
    Thought Ringrose was very quiet myself today, i feel vindicated that Aki is the better player
    Kearney mixed brilliant with sloppy, Earls the same.
    If Zebo had not left Munster one of them would be out perhaps they should be already.
    Ireland imo had two captains on the pitch neither of them named Best. But sadly he is just better than Cronin at lineouts

Ringrose defended very well

Earls was brilliant

SlickRic wrote: »
    NZ are the best team in the world, often lauded as the best team in sport full stop.

Ireland have only ever beaten them once in their history - in Chicago two years. This is our first win in Ireland against them.

This is the last time we'll play before next year's World Cup.

It's 1st versus 2nd in the world.

So a bit of monkey off the back + it being a big team. What about the competitiveness of it

A completely different attitude to rankings than in soccer then?

So a bit of monkey off the back + it being a big team. What about the competitiveness of it

A completely different attitude to rankings than in soccer then?

RWC seedings determined by world ranking.

Wales lost to Australia in November 2012. A last minute score. That gave a RWC 2015 group of England Australia Wales Fiji Uruguay

Well done Ireland. Had a great time at the match, was an amazing atmosphere.

Ireland played really well, and you can still see areas where they could have done better, which is scary. From a kiwi perspective, I felt like there were multiple pivotal moments which swung it towards Ireland. It really felt like every time there was a 50/50 ball, Ireland would somehow come up with it.

Looking forward to a week of gentle ribbing, starting with my kids when they wake up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

“It will be a long, long time before we witness a performance that brave. “

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12162088

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Great preparation for the big one next week! I really think we can it up to Trump on Saturday. We must be favourites for the US game now

yyt wrote: »
    If Zebo had not left Munster one of them would be out perhaps they should be already.

Can we just leave Zebo where he choose to be, in Paris counting his money.

Time and time again people go to the well for Zebo yet never take in to account it was his decision to leave, he has said himself he doesn’t fit in in the current Ireland camp, he doesn’t like Schmidt, he doesn’t respect Schmidt’s opinion, he is poor in defence, the Irish team with “the has been” Kearney has won a grand slam/tour to Australia/beaten ABs again etc etc the list is endless.

I would rather have this current squad, team and coaching ticket than let Zebo back in the squad or anywhere near it. Stop lusting after someone who doesn’t want to be here, he choose the money over his province and his country.

Build a bridge and get over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Watched it again. Simply unbelievable showing from some of the forwards. I'd probably have given Stander man of the match. He was incredible at the breakdown.

A mention for Rory Best, he was much better than some would have you believe. Two sloppy passes to nobody aside, he was excellent. Threw well and was a nuisance at the breakdown. Carried fairly solidly, sucking in defenders too. Definitely was worth his place. It's hard to judge Cronin given Toner and POM were gone but I certainly don't think Best will he worried after that.

With that said, I believe Cronin is preferred for the bench but if Best was injured, Scannell would have come straight in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Buer wrote: »

With that said, I believe Cronin is preferred for the bench but if Best was injured, Scannell would have come straight in.

No one seemed to take the lineout by thr bslls and sort it.

Cronin must take his share of blame too.

At least it's something big to.work on.
    Henderson, Cronin and possibly a few back rows in the 23 must improve.
    I'd prefer Scannell as sub right now

One way to guarantee your place if you are JVF or Leavy or Conan would be to provide a real lineout option.
    Beirne should be turning into a lineout nerd for next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Buer wrote: »

Is that discrimination against Cronin because of his speed ? And sense that he is a fast loose player, therefore suited to the last 20.

While Best was indeed good yesterday, I do fear the WC could be a year too far. A year is a long long time at that end of a career, and the fall off steep.
    He should still be there, and may indeed have to start the crunch WC games. But would like to see alternatives given full games during the 6N. There is nothing to gain in Best playing more than two of them. And more to gain by giving serious game time to the alternatives. And saving Best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Basically this was the 2 best teams in the world going head to head. Some called it a friendly. If you watch it I’m sure you’ll agree that friendly isn’t a word that fits! Both teams went hammer and tongs at it and at times it was a brutal game physically, without ever being a dirty one.

NZ have been the best team in the world for years. At times they’ve seemed so far ahead of the rest they were impossible to catch. This NZ squad, while still exceptionally good, aren’t quite up there with their best. But this Irish side is as good as any. And last night we were utterly relentless against them. We put in a performance that was undoubtedly (in my mind) one of the best performances you'll see. It wasn’t free flowing, but it was bristling full of confidence, determination and skill.

We’ve just made a very strong case for being the best team in the world. At the very least we are very, very close to that title. And we are fully deserving of it. In NZ, rugby is king. Here in Ireland it has to compete with 3 other team sports. To be this good, we have to be doing a whole hell of a lot right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I really hope we can get the job done in 11 months. It's setup for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Great preparation for the big one next week! I really think we can it up to Trump on Saturday. We must be favourites for the US game now

I liked how POM was talking about next week's big game in the post match interview on field... Always on message...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I really hope we can get the job done in 11 months. It's setup for Ireland.

Knock out rugby can be a great leveller though. Let’s just worry about the 6Ns for now. We need to get Carbery up to speed ASAP and Hendo needs to work in his line out calling. We also need to find a reliable back up at 15. Get those 3 things sorted and we’ll be a frightening proposition going into the RWC.

Ruaidhri O'Connor putting the boot into Ewen McKenna

https://twitter.com/RuaidhriOC/status/1064080314971156481?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

dulpit wrote: »
    I liked how POM was talking about next week's big game in the post match interview on field... Always on message...

Sometimes better judgement is needed though, or it just comes across as ridiculous, as that comment did.

Sometimes better judgement is needed though, or it just comes across as ridiculous, as that comment did.

It came across as a comment from a sporting professional aware that the game is a sell out. So in fact he showed respect to both the opposition and the paying public.

So far from ridiculous I thought. But a comment from a man acutely aware of his role as one of the leaders of both a sporting and commercial organisation.

Having said that, it wasn't something that needed saying and had he not said it, noone would have missed it.

lawred2 wrote: »
    It came across as a comment from a sporting professional aware that the game is a sell out. So in fact he showed respect to both the opposition and the paying public.

So far from ridiculous I thought. But a comment from a man acutely aware of his role as one of the leaders of both a sporting and commercial organisation.

Having said that, it wasn't something that needed saying and had he not said it, noone would have missed it.

It very much is a massive game for players on the fringes if the match 23 who have ambitions to play in the 6n and to spend some time in Japan next autumn

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    It very much is a massive game for players on the fringes if the match 23 who have ambitions to play in the 6n and to spend some time in Japan next autumn

Whatever way you view it, it's definitely not something to be whinging about.

Such a confident and committed performance, I would have given MOM to Stander too, he was everywhere, especially in the first half, setting the tone. Unbelievable full team performance, game of the year, I can’t remember enjoying Chicago as much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

Great game great win so glad I was lucky and I managed to be there my voice is gone my head is sore (possibly due to the thirst quenching beverages which may have been enriched with alcohol)
    But it’s worth it

sjb25 wrote: »
    Great game great win so glad I was lucky and I managed to be there my voice is gone my head is sore (possibly due to the thirst quenching beverages which may have been enriched with alcohol)
    But it’s worth it

Heavy head but happy heart

flatface wrote: »
    Such a confident and committed performance, I would have given MOM to Stander too, he was everywhere, especially in the first half, setting the tone. Unbelievable full team performance, game of the year, I can’t remember enjoying Chicago as much

His first turnover summed him up. Even after the penalty was awarded, the turnover wasn't sufficient for him. He wanted the ball too.

Loved it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Great game to watch, Ireland has a great squad now to compete with any team and this squad is building all the time.
    The biggest thing I seen yesterday is the belief in the coaching on the field the way the players carry out the game plan and stick to it,
    Joe has a super back room team around him and when interviewed gave credit to esterby and Farrell and seems to have total control of the players heads and how the performance is carried out.
    The match yesterday day was all about down the road for both teams learning and the ref helped that by being poor. Joe has to be very happy man with how they stuck to the plan.
    New Zealand learned more than Ireland and will be a better team come the World Cup.
    Great to see bundee big smile and how the other players react to him and any clown in the media reckons he is not Irish enough is only fooling themselves.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'm a fair weather fan for most sports, will have interest in big games for national team games in all manner of sports, so don't confess to be to knowledgeable in any way shape or form.
    Last night was staying in with my 11 year old daughter and knowing the match was on, tested the water to see if we might watch it instead of our regular x factor. She was game and my god, what a game it was. I may have had to Google what the phase counts were, but there was no misunderstanding of the excitement we felt as we watched. From the ear rupturing fields of athenry, to the eerie silence before the conversion, it was amazing.
    Thanks for an amazing performance to all the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Anyone have a link to the New Zealand commentary on the match? Always interesting to hear how they view our lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Can't believe the match is not on RTE player - is there anywhere that I can legally watch the game? - my recording machine did not work ;-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Can't believe the match is not on RTE player - is there anywhere that I can legally watch the game? - my recording machine did not work ;-(
    It's on the Channel 4 player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

All 4 app on your phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It’s on you tube the full match from RTÉ.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement