Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v New Zealand match thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Fun fact : Jacob Rees-Mogg could have played rugby for Ireland.

Under what grounds? I know his grandmother was "Irish American" but she was born in the USA and didn't hold Irish citizenship as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Would he be Jakes? Or Reesy? Or Moggsy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I don't think there's a position on the pitch that could be taken by a haunted pencil.

Is it just me or does Rees-Mogg bear a stunning resemblance to Hitler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

molloyjh wrote: »
    Gone. Richie McCaw is Gone. :P

A shoo-in for world player of the year this year. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Gone. Richie McCaw is Gone. :P

Fortunately for y'all. Otherwise you'd once again be trying to forget a narrow loss to the ABs ðŸ˜

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Fortunately for y'all. Otherwise you'd once again be trying to forget a narrow loss to the ABs ðŸ˜

How's your week going so far? Only had to discuss the match with a few people today, each day gets a little bit easier :D

I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag, but I actually met Steve Hansen at the team hotel last Wednesday, and he told me they were going to throw the match. Made the loss a bit easier to take.

Basil3 wrote: »
    How's your week going so far? Only had to discuss the match with a few people today, each day gets a little bit easier :D

I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag, but I actually met Steve Hansen at the team hotel last Wednesday, and he told me they were going to throw the match. Made the loss a bit easier to take.

How many All Blacks does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One, and he can do it first time with no try's.

How many All Blacks does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One, and he can do it first time with no try's.

That joke would have come in useful in 2016!

Asked how he will reflect on the loss, Retallick said he would need to mullet over.

• Advertisement

Asked how he will reflect on the loss, Retallick said he would need to mullet over.

I also met him in the team hotel. I expected my Mrs to say something like 'My God, he's huge'. Nope, all she said is 'What is up with his haircut?' :D

The media asked Hanson to describe the game in 10 words: "Mmmbop, ba duba dop, Ba du bop, ba duba dop"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That joke would have come in useful in 2016!

Coming in second yet again. That's Kiwis for you! :D

Asked how he made the All Blacks look so ordinary, coach Joe Schmidt said "the trick is trying to convince them they've already moved to France!"

Coming in second yet again. That's Kiwis for you! :D

Thats why Irish women love us.

:D:D
    Its amazing the number of people who wouldn't know a lineout from a scrum, who want to talk about the game. I just point out it was only a friendly :D

I don't mind people talking about it and giving me a bit of stick at the moment because its recent. It's the fact that it will be brought up numerous times for years to come. Even after the ABs make it 3 in a row at the RWC next year, the Irish will still be talking about Saturday's game. I'm getting married next year and I feel sorry for my friends and family travelling from NZ. They are going to be constantly reminded of the match and by the end of the trip, they'll be under the impression that the Aviva holds half million people.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

What is the takeaway from this?
    Richie McCaw is God.

Surely that should read..'Cod'...:p

dulpit wrote: »
    Would he be Jakes? Or Reesy? Or Moggsy?

No. Grease Smug.

Coming in a second yet again. That's Kiwis for you! :D

Fixed.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Delighted for ya jacothelad. You must be a happy man after you've seen all the Ireland vs NZ games since the first one in Lansdowne Rd in 1905.

• Advertisement

Knock Knock..

Who's there?

Beauden..

Beauden who?

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Thats why Irish women love us.

God dammit that’s brilliant.

Well, it was good while it lasted, can’t be giving kiwis grief any more because I’ll just remember this line

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Knock Knock..

Who's there?

Beauden..

Beauden who?

Exactly.

Why did the All Black cross the road?

He didn't. VdF had tackled him before he moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

aloooof wrote: »
    I believe it was actually George Hook, during the 2011 RWC. That's Hook who has also said Schmidt could possibly be the worst Ireland coach ever. There's been a lot of rugby played since then...

Well we all know Hook would still try to claim that today, if he thought it would get some people to pay attention to him.

Never had time for the likes of him (or Dunphy) because why listen to someone who doesn't even believe what they're saying themselves?

Some of the reactions of kiwis remind of those Kerryman aghast at the recent march of Dublin.

It's only a friendly...

It's only a 2 in a row...

It's no 4 in a row....

August to October 2019 is gonna be some craic...

I actually think the kiwis have for the most part been extremely gracious in defeat. Compare that with the Aussies a few months ago or in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Billy86 wrote: »
    I actually think the kiwis have for the most part been extremely gracious in defeat. Compare that with the Aussies a few months ago or in 2011.

Yeah, agreed. Not one person moaning about Kearney lack of yellow.

Billy86 wrote: »

Tbh. You're right but you can definitely sense a bite or "feeling" in their "grace". Much like our SW friends...

Anyway, it was only a friendly. If I wasn't already excited for the world cup enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

:D:D
    Its amazing the number of people who wouldn't know a lineout from a scrum, who want to talk about the game.

Some refs hardly even know the answer to that one. Sometimes you can hear them over the mic asking "scrum or lineout ?" hoping one of the players or linesmen will help them out. Clueless they are.

• Advertisement

God dammit that’s brilliant.

Well, it was good while it lasted, can’t be giving kiwis grief any more because I’ll just remember this line

You're welcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

Ah lads it was only a friendly and the only thing that matters is getting to the quarter finals in China. We could beat New Zealand twenty nine time in a row over the course of 113 years and it still wouldn't mean piddle compared to getting that sweet sweet quarter final spot. Even if Argentina absolutely hammered us in it.

Ah lads it was only a friendly and the only thing that matters is getting to the quarter finals in China. We could beat New Zealand twenty nine time in a row over the course of 113 years and it still wouldn't mean piddle compared to getting that sweet sweet quarter final spot. Even if Argentina absolutely hammered us in it.
    Poor effort. 1/10

The one is for thinking the RWC is in China. The casual racism made me laugh.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Poor effort. 1/10

The one is for thinking the RWC is in China. The casual racism made me laugh.

Not sure if serious.

Not sure if serious.
    That makes two of us. Although I'm still reasonably sure yours was a weak attempt at a troll.

Is it intentional genius or accidental idiocy that the standard of trolling is reminding me of Madigan and co against the Argies?

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That makes two of us. Although I'm still reasonably sure yours was a weak attempt at a troll.

And pray tell, who is it that I would be trying to troll with that comment? I think you need to lighten up and work on your reading comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

And pray tell, who is it that I would be trying to troll with that comment? I think you need to lighten up and work on your reading comprehension.

You idiot . It’s not in China

It’s in

Korea .

Gonad wrote: »
    You idiot . It’s not in China

It's in Korea .

Poor effort. 1/10

The one is for thinking the RWC is in Korea. The casual racism made me laugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Poor effort. 1/10

The one is for thinking the RWC is in Korea. The casual racism made me laugh.

FFS if you intend to troll this thread at least make a half decent attempt at it.

I'm not trolling. You guys are literally trolling yourselves and it's hilarious to watch so thanks for the laughs. I shouldn't need to say it, but obviously you guys are 90 year old humourless dullards with minds as sharp as tea cosies taking your very first steps on the internet: my original post was a reductio ad absurdum of Ewan MacKenna. Ok, so now I'm trolling, but I'll stop, because it's like stealing food from a baby. Goodnight and good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm not trolling. You guys are literally trolling yourselves and it's hilarious to watch so thanks for the laughs. I shouldn't need to say it, but obviously you guys are 90 year old humourless dullards with minds as sharp as tea cosies taking your very first steps on the internet: my original post was a reductio ad absurdum of Ewan MacKenna. Ok, so now I'm trolling, but I'll stop, because it's like stealing food from a baby. Goodnight and good luck.

Quit it.

Your attempts at trolling are so bad I can't even bring myself to card you for it.

However, continue at your peril. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

my original post was a reductio ad absurdum of Ewan MacKenna.

In that case you should have said "New Zee Land", for authenticity like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

I'm not trolling. : my original post was a reductio ad absurdum of Ewan MacKenna. .

jesus I post some crap but this beats it big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Folks, stop feeding the troll please. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

"Reductio ad absurdum". If throwing that into a conversation casually is deemed normal then jaysus Ewan's bang on the money saying rugby's only for posh people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Christ I can see this thread being dragged on for months. And we harp on about how unbearable the English are when they win anything. This is as bad.

Yes it was a great win and yes it was a piece of history. But lets be realistic. NZ were at the end of a long tough season and it showed. Uncharacteristic handling errors imo are a big indicator.

People talking about a NZ/Ireland final next year...seriously guys? We have a very tough Scotland team to manoeuvre first, how often have they beaten Ireland when big underdogs. Then a potential quarter final against SA? We'll just breeze through that right?

It's pretty embarrassing how obnoxious the Irish fans are becoming, youtube is crawling with idiots screaming we're the best team in the world and AB beaters etc. Where's the humility and dignity gone? We had a great year but lets not get carried away ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wailin wrote: »
    Christ I can see this thread being dragged on for months. And we harp on about how unbearable the English are when they win anything. This is as bad.

Yes it was a great win and yes it was a piece of history. But lets be realistic. NZ were at the end of a long tough season and it showed. Uncharacteristic handling errors imo are a big indicator.

People talking about a NZ/Ireland final next year...seriously guys? We have a very tough Scotland team to manoeuvre first, how often have they beaten Ireland when big underdogs. Then a potential quarter final against SA? We'll just breeze through that right?

It's pretty embarrassing how obnoxious the Irish fans are becoming, youtube is crawling with idiots screaming we're the best team in the world and AB beaters etc. Where's the humility and dignity gone? We had a great year but lets not get carried away ffs!

We were the best team in the world this year. No need to be scared of that fact.

It's such a typically Irish thing to crave being the underdog and to be absolutely terrified of everyone realising when we're good at something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

We were the best team in the world this year. No need to be scared of that fact.

It's such a typically Irish thing to crave being the underdog and to be absolutely terrified of everyone realising when we're good at something.

I'd agree with that to a degree. It is somewhat unusual to be watching an Irish team develop that is manifestly better then other teams at the moment.

We can still be beaten, have an off day or meet a team that is hungrier, but it is certainly new territory and I intend letting selected others know this! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wailin wrote: »

YouTube is crawling with what?

Links please

To be honest I haven't seen any of this blowhard arrogance. And I'd be the first in line to call it out.

I've seen and heard Ireland being described as a top nation in world rugby but that's objectively true based on any metric.

Maybe you can give us some examples to illustrate your point

I just realised, the next time we lose a game this place is going to be an absolute shít show.

The amount of people who are angry that other people are happy about a big result is startling. McKenna said it in the first 10 seconds of his interview on against the head. "What we've been subjected to since the weekend" - it's the language of someone who had a grudge to begin with and he's far from alone.

People are awful precious about themselves.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement