Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT madness!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Got this today. Its mint condition, but was definitely opened in the past as the original receipt from 1994 was inside the box. Still very happy with it though.

hVhJ8hF.jpg

£123 for a single laserdisc movie? :eek:

I can just imagine the type of person buying this back in the day also having a Neo Geo AES console. None of that peasant VHS or nintendo/sega stuff :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

Ignore the mess as doing some work around the house so games room is in a heap and being used for storage and dust from everything and everywhere is all over everything more than anything !!Moved the widescreen tv( 2nd last grey one ) down from an upstairs room, I think I need to stop hoarding tv's though,its taken up my decks space but they were just gathering dust anyway !I don't know if I will keep it here or not tbh :o
    Cant seem to imbed picture

https://imgur.com/a/qQcQCBy

• Registered Users Posts: 34,923 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Everything I ever wanted in life, a Lego CRT!

Check out the detail on the back of it.

https://www.vjgamer.com.hk/articles/2020/07/13/69964/lego-71374-nintendo-entertainment-system

2,646 pieces and 300 euro :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

o1s1n wrote: »

https://www.vjgamer.com.hk/articles/2020/07/13/69964/lego-71374-nintendo-entertainment-system

Keep an eye on Aliexpress searching for 'blocks 71374' - I'd say it will appear for much cheaper a month or so after its released by Lego

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Are PVMs just mad money now all over?

I'd love a smallish one for tinkering

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Keep an eye on Aliexpress searching for 'blocks 71374' - I'd say it will appear for much cheaper a month or so after its released by Lego

I didn't know knock off Chinese lego existed, some of the prices on Aliexpress are almost too good to be true.

Ever try buying any? Really tempted to pick something up purely as a matter of interest!
    Are PVMs just mad money now all over?

I'd love a smallish one for tinkering

Only way to buy a PVM for cheap now is either finding one in the wild or nabbing a deal through here or adverts.

You get some decent auctions turning up on ebay now and again, but shipping is quite a pain and they're generally ridiculously over priced.

Actually I've had a 9 inch PVM successfully shipped through Parcel Motel now that I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I didn't know knock off Chinese lego existed, some of the prices on Aliexpress are almost too good to be true.

Ever try buying any? Really tempted to pick something up purely as a matter of interest!
    Lepin was the clone which was clamped down on last year so searching for just Lepin on Aliexpress prob shows nothing, you could search for lepinblocks or construction blocks and get the same items. I bought a set last year and still haven't got around to putting it together :D from a dig though they look grand, loads of reviews of them on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭paul79

Master of the Universe

Was just about to post it, he's that lad who found hundreds of monitors a few months back. (Not sure if this was one of them)

It's a shame the bezel is broken, this is actually a lovely monitor as it has a white case so looks a bit more house friendly.

Also saw a pretty rare 4:3 29 inch consumer Sony Trinitron

https://www.adverts.ie/accessories/sony-fd-trinitron-kv-29-crt-tv/20965170

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭paul79

Yes pity about the bezel , I’ve been keeping an eye on his ads I knew he had come across a few monitors didn’t realize so many , My Jvc monitor is lovely but the skew at the top when using my sigma drives me crazy image is gorgeous otherwise , That tv looks great and only €50 bargain ,thank god it want found in an attic stored like new !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'd be interested in the PVM myself. There is a lot of damage to the front, you can see it in the extra pic i asked him to show. A bit of work involved to fix that up, but for the right price it might be worth a shot.

Edit: I ended up going for it for 200.

Master of the Universe

Honestly with the way things have gone with pro monitors and the fact that it's a 20 inch which are rare enough here (and in white!) it's not a bad deal at all. The picture quality looks absolutely gorgeous.

Might even be able to do something simple with a bit of Sugru in the correct grey to help fix the snap in the bezel.

Honestly with the way things have gone with pro monitors and the fact that it's a 20 inch which are rare enough here (and in white!) it's not a bad deal at all. The picture quality looks absolutely gorgeous.

Might even be able to do something simple with a bit of Sugru in the correct grey to help fix the snap in the bezel.

Will see in person tomorrow and decide how best to fix it up. I cant remember how easy it is to remove the bezel on these. But if it comes off ok I think a little 3d printing, resin and some epoxy and sanding might sort it out. It'd need to be painted after all that so will see how that goes.

Master of the Universe

They come off extremely easily. Just a few screws on each side panel and there should be a couple of screws down the bottom behind each of the pull out loop things on the front. Will pop right off. Might be an idea when you have it off to check if there's an anti glare coating sticker thing and maybe remove that too if there are any scratches on it.

Forgot you had the 3D printer! Should be able to come up with an interesting solution alright.

Wonder could you cut the bezel above and below the break, 3D print that section modeled on a mirror of the others side and then attach it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Nice i was gonna offer 200 as well, least someone has it )

Fibre glass and sand maybe will fix it.

They come off extremely easily. Just a few screws on each side panel and there should be a couple of screws down the bottom behind each of the pull out loop things on the front. Will pop right off. Might be an idea when you have it off to check if there's an anti glare coating sticker thing and maybe remove that too if there are any scratches on it.

Forgot you had the 3D printer! Should be able to come up with an interesting solution alright.

Wonder could you cut the bezel above and below the break, 3D print that section modeled on a mirror of the others side and then attach it?

I dont think these medical displays had any glare stickers on them.
    I think I'll repair/patch up whats there rather than cutting it up. Maybe use Milliput or something like that as I've had success with it in the past.

Baking soda and superglue is another option

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dry noodles?

I think it'll be a combination of super fine Milliput and Jenolite, maybe a bit of gorilla epoxy on the inside section. That's what I've got on hand anyway.
    It wont be perfect, but it should be an improvement.

I've already quickly designed a 3D printable pull bar for the right side as its missing. It'll just be for show, no real strength.

Hr5YRL6.jpg

Master of the Universe

Offer 300 once you have it fixed :pac:

• Advertisement

So I got the PVM this evening. The damage seems very repairable after inspection. Picture quality is really nice indeed(better than my other PVM's). It has the normal limited onscreen menu and the usual PVM/BVM button presses brings up the advanced menu, which is handy as it needed some slight display adjustments.

Quick pic that doesn't really do it justice:
    Hy5k1HU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Steve X2 wrote: »
    So I got the PVM this evening. The damage seems very repairable after inspection. Picture quality is really nice indeed(better than my other PVM's). It has the normal limited onscreen menu and the usual PVM/BVM button presses brings up the advanced menu, which is handy as it needed some slight display adjustments.

Quick pic that doesn't really do it justice:
    Hy5k1HU.jpg

Very nice. Really want to get a decent sized pvm myself but prices are just too insane at the moment

If anyone is missing a pull bar on their PVM/BVM(and has a 3D printer), I designed this to be attached with epoxy. It's for aesthetics only, so dont depend on it for anything functional :)
    I do plan on doing a screw in version at some stage.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4551173

cwFdakJ.jpg

bxa70Il.jpg

I know a few lads here aren't on Facebook and will enjoy this

And yes I am a Maniac who uses my phone on 5%

JKSMbMt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Alright, fess up, who ordered? I'm so tempted.

accensi0n wrote: »
    Alright, fess up, who ordered? I'm so tempted.

When ever I get tempted by something like this (whick I am !!)
    I picture it covered in dust taking up space in 3 months time :D

Here’s the aliexpress version should you want your dust collector to cost a little less

4-D12-C18-B-757-C-4-F7-D-9461-4-E72-B2686-EB4.png

So moving a few things around and setting up some tvs again in a more permanent place.

I have this lovely Sony but it's got a few issues.

Convergence on the bottom left hand corner that isn't being shifted after I use the wand on it.

And the picture is a few degrees off. I tried adjusting the neck yolk to sort it but doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any thoughts what to try next? I only have a one for all remote for it so haven't gotten into the service menu yet but is the picture rotation even an option in there?

3fFTjvU.jpg

Q7K04B2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Sony Trinitron KV21? I've got one of those! Do you know what the button sequence to get into the service menu is? I could check the options for you.

• Advertisement

Just got sent a manual for it.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/159569/Sony-Fd-Trinitron-Kv-21lt1e.html?page=20#manual

The convergence in the corner will probably be sorted out with some adjusting inside the tv but can't see an option for the rotation. Doesn't really look like a geometry issue to me, just looks like it's off level

Advertisement