Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT madness!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Wonder if a CRT is a high resolution monitor, does it lose the scanline'ness of a lower resolution CRT?

It's the opposite actually, higher TVL, more pronounced scanlines.

The higher resolution is horizontal, you still have the same amount of vertical lines. So the higher resolution makes each line look a lot more defined, including the blank lines.

I much rather about 600 TVL on a 20 inch monitor, it's a nice in between a consumer set with hard to see scanlines and a pro monitor at 900 TVL where the scanlines almost look emulated they're so sharp.

Remember that PVM you sold me years and years ago? That was about 600 TVL if I remember correctly.

To make it even more confusing, what 'high resolution' means changed.

My BVM has that logo on it, but it's 600 TVL - but it's old. The technology got better as you can imagine with time so what high resolution was changed with it up to 800-900 TVL. I'd say that's what that monitor on adverts is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

How would that jvc on adverts compare to a standard quad sync arcade monitor? I think the quad sync looks amazing no mater what retro input I feed it. 15k 240p up to 40k 600p SVGA.

on my way to pick up a CRT. This is CRT number 15....

It has a 25 inch 4:3 Philips "Blackline FX tube". The marketing blurb says "this tube has dark glass for better contrast and highly pigmented phosphor giving brighter and more contrast".

I wonder will the 25" tube be compatible with hanratex MTC9110 chassis as the 25" tube in one of the cabs has a chip in the centre I'd love to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭dav09

Where do people get 19" CRT's these days? I'm short a few for arcade cabs and had gone the LCD route with a few, but it's probably time to change them back now (bought a good few without CRTs a while back). Wouldn't mind picking up hantarex or other CRTs to convert them back but the only option seems to be paying 200 a pop on ebay, anyone know of anywhere cheaper either in Ireland or which I could buy online elsewhere?

I've 2/3 down in the garage .will take a look over the weekend.
    They would need servicing id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭dav09

I've 2/3 down in the garage .will take a look over the weekend.
    They would need servicing id say.

Thanks that's great, I have 1 or 2 chassis (26") to send to Grant again anyway so wouldn't have a problem getting them serviced. Will drop you a DM.

Did anyone ever follow up on https://www.psra.ie/monitors/crt-monitors and what they can do?

Would be nice to support a local business here too with everything going on at the minute.

Master of the Universe

dav09 wrote: »
    Thanks that's great, I have 1 or 2 chassis (26") to send to Grant again anyway so wouldn't have a problem getting them serviced. Will drop you a DM.

Did anyone ever follow up on https://www.psra.ie/monitors/crt-monitors and what they can do?

Would be nice to support a local business here too with everything going on at the minute.

Oh yeah I forgot about them!

Said they'd do a service no problem last time I was talking to them about PVMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

spent sunday reorganising all the crts ! I've kept the widescreen for now ,I am starting to wonder if I really do need all the tv's!!! , one crappy 14" got demoted to the attic so some streamlining done ! still probably missed hooking something back up as its a pain in the arse:rolleyes:

Master of the Universe

geotrig wrote: »
    I am starting to wonder if I really do need all the tv's!!!

I stubbed my toe on a CRT I have on the floor beside the bed this morning and that exact thought popped into my head :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

On that note, anyone after a Sony LMD-2010? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

On that note, anyone after a Sony LMD-2010? :)

Is that like the one I got from O1s?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is that like the one I got from O1s?
    Thats the one, I'd throw in a Extron 202 RXI also - took it out of its crate over the weekend and I'm never gonna use it

Master of the Universe

LMD 2010 is the one with a 640X480 native resolution, it's great for Dreamcast games. 20 inches, 4:3 aspect ratio.

Googled it and the first thing to come up was one of my old photos :D (and my old long gone 1084s monitor, noooooooooooooooooooo!)

MTlmMjMwNTcwMmUwYzZiNDVlMjE3YWMwMmM0ZDllYTVwJxAew3ohm8yefef7Ghw_aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNWRmZDNiMTczN2VjM2VjODE1MTdiOWYyZWIzNDkzZmRmNDliYTQ3NjlhOThjYTBiZDYzMzg2NzIzZGRmODIzYi5qcGd8fHx8fHw2NDB4NDAxfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Maybe CiDeRmAn will take it? Takes composite, component and s-video direct - RGB can be done but takes RGsB but the Extron helps on that front but adds a little extra faf

Master of the Universe

Maybe CiDeRmAn will take it? Takes composite, component and s-video direct - RGB can be done but takes RGsB but the Extron helps on that front but adds a little extra faf

I could have sworn there was a way of getting regular RGB on that and not just RGsB? Thought I had a Dreamcast hooked up in that photo!

Edit: ahh it was a PS2 set to component, nevermind! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I could probably find a home for it, I have some reorganising of the games room well overdue!
    Not sure where to start though!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I could probably find a home for it, I have some reorganising of the games room well overdue!
    Not sure where to start though!

Dump it all in the middle and let the Mrs dictate how to organize them all...

Eventually she'll take over and stop giving out that you have too much stuff :)
    The fruits of my reorganizing one side the weekend, still need to get back in behind to make it more efficient. Mrs made me put the tv in size in descending size order until she realised they wouldn't all fit.
    https://i.imgur.com/5VPJ4az.jpg

o1s1n wrote: »
    LMD 2010 is the one with a 640X480 native resolution, it's great for Dreamcast games. 20 inches, 4:3 aspect ratio.

Googled it and the first thing to come up was one of my old photos :D (and my old long gone 1084s monitor, noooooooooooooooooooo!)

MTlmMjMwNTcwMmUwYzZiNDVlMjE3YWMwMmM0ZDllYTVwJxAew3ohm8yefef7Ghw_aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNWRmZDNiMTczN2VjM2VjODE1MTdiOWYyZWIzNDkzZmRmNDliYTQ3NjlhOThjYTBiZDYzMzg2NzIzZGRmODIzYi5qcGd8fHx8fHw2NDB4NDAxfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg
    Who sells a 1084 !!! 😭

CRT pickup #16 this evening and it's a beauty.

A rear projection 43 inch toshiba 43vj33q monster crt.

That's me done with crt pickups forever :D

Here is a YouTube vid of someone with the same model
    https://youtu.be/1G-Vb8yzXXI

:awe: we're going to need to see some pics of these all set up.

• Advertisement

Dump it all in the middle and let the Mrs dictate how to organize them all...

Eventually she'll take over and stop giving out that you have too much stuff :)
    The fruits of my reorganizing one side the weekend, still need to get back in behind to make it more efficient. Mrs made me put the tv in size in descending size order until she realised they wouldn't all fit.
    https://i.imgur.com/5VPJ4az.jpg

Ah yes, the classic Dyson there, there must be a vacuum cleaner fan forum on boards somewhere....

Master of the Universe

Who sells a 1084 !!! 😭

If I gave you a list of the CRTs I've sold over the last few years you'd cry. The I'd cry! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

If I gave you a list of the CRTs I've sold over the last few years you'd cry. The I'd cry! :(

And I'm looking at some of them right now :D

Master of the Universe

hah! On the plus side, I think I've moved all of them onto folks here, so at least they're still in the A&R family. :D

When I get a bit more space I want to get my hands on another one of those 29 inch trinis again, they really can't be beat. As much as I love the Sony Pro hole (!) I went down, I tend to end up fiddling with the controls on the things half the time.

Used to just switch the trini on and away I went!

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'm still after an elusive larger size PVM myself.

Laid eyes on the Sony pvm cube a few weeks ago during a pick-up and it's an absolutely gorgeous piece of equipment

I have a Sanyo and a Panasonic 14inch and they are 3 of my favourite TVs to play on. Picture is sharp and looks fantastic. It just brings back memories of playing things growing up.

My huge grundig definitely needs a chassis service. Trying to get that beast moved to remove it is another story. It's actually easier to move a pinball by myself rather than that behemoth

Master of the Universe

They had one in one of the Microsoft canteens when I worked there many moons ago, big 29 inch cube thing. It was there on a trolley playing a music station every day. They also had an original Xbox kiosk which was sitting there broken.

Kept meaning to ask them if they wanted to get rid of both (and I'd happily oblige to help!) but never got around to it. One day they were both just gone.

Didn't really fully comprehend what the monitor was back then, thought it was just a cool looking big Sony CRT! (to be honest I was more interested in the kiosk)

Master of the Universe

Check out this absolute beast :eek:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392983755269?ul_noapp=true

NEC XM37 - a 37 inch 4:3 NEC monitor.

Ah shame, I see the listing now says it won't switch on.

Master of the Universe

In other news I was searching for B&O CRTs on adverts and got quite excited, until I saw the chessboard floor...

https://www.adverts.ie/tv/bang-olufsen/21741697

• Advertisement

In other news I was searching for B&O CRTs on adverts and got quite excited, until I saw the chessboard floor...

https://www.adverts.ie/tv/bang-olufsen/21741697

AcceptableHeartyBarasingha-size_restricted.gif

Advertisement