Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT madness!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

safetyboy wrote: »
    MIne just stopped working at the weekend booted up the PC engine and then the screen went blank, tried the saturn too but no joy :(

Hmmmm, is it on and blank (so you can see a glow in a dark room) or completely off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I can see the squares sceen eitc so its working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

safetyboy wrote: »
    I can see the squares sceen eitc so its working.
    Did the rest of those BVMs get sold off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

its back working... boom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392717581567

Just ordered one of these. Seen someone saying they are decent on a Facebook group so ill see for myself

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392717581567

Just ordered one of these. Seen someone saying they are decent on a Facebook group so ill see for myself

Be careful with them! They can be pretty dodgy.

I had one myself for a long time and it did do the trick, just don't keep it switched on for very long as it can break easily. (Mine did)

I've also heard stories about them catching fire. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I think these are more commonly known as the high voltage green stick of death?

Master of the Universe

This is the guy who was selling the really fancy broadcast degaussing wands for a tenner, might be worth contacting him to see if he has any left tucked away

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/leapark97/m.html?_trksid=p3692

I remember us talking about them before actually......I'll follow the usual wish.com rules for it. *Just imagine it's activity trying to kill you* so handle with Care

I messaged that guy too. I need one though so for €13 it will do the 9 active monitors I have going hopefully

You can make one if you are stuck.
    You need the degauss coil from an old arcade CRT,a 100watt incandescent light bulb and a single gang light switch ........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

You need the degauss coil from an old arcade CRT,a 100watt incandescent light bulb and a single gang light switch ........

b037463ba4a65933c5b0a1653da22517.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

o1s1n wrote: »
    This is the guy who was selling the really fancy broadcast degaussing wands for a tenner, might be worth contacting him to see if he has any left tucked away

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/leapark97/m.html?_trksid=p3692

I also got one of these, still in its packaging lol

Master of the Universe

If you're really lazy you can also just use a corded drill :D

Master of the Universe

eddhorse wrote: »
    I also got one of these, still in its packaging lol

Hah! Not tempted to give it a lash no?

If I remember correctly it vibrates more than the Rez Trance Vibrator. :pac:

Master of the Universe

Any of you guys tried streaming media to your CRTs?

Trying to figure out a good solution to get 4:3 streaming content displaying correctly. (So I can watch the likes of TNG and DS9 in full screen 4:3 without being pillarboxed)

Thought the WiiU would work, but unfortunately it locks the likes of netflix to 16:9 WITH pillarboxes, so your picture is a tiny square in the middle of the screen.

Going to try a Xbox 360 next. Just remembered they do RGB scart out and if I remember correctly, you can adjust the video to fit a 4:3 screen.

Go all in and use a vcr or laserdisk.
    I think you'd be well suited to collecting laserdiscs .......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n dangerously close to donning a fedora now...

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    o1s1n dangerously close to donning a fedora now...

Yeah I better not start collecting laserdiscs, if anything to save you folks from having to listen to me bang on about them here :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Name change imminent!
    Arcade, Retro & Laserdisc Forum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Lol - I have plenty of laserdiscs and 3 players (2 bought for backup when the market was dead a good few years ago).
    They dont get used these days, but I will be keeping them and the players are workinf. The NTSC box sets, SEs etc are such nice artifacts.

• Advertisement

Need to get a player myself. They are mental money though so I'll hang on for the next recession.

Mostly been getting 80s and 90s action films myself.

Coming very close to a complete JCVD laserdisc collection actually

Need to get a player myself. They are mental money though so I'll hang on for the next recession.

Mostly been getting 80s and 90s action films myself.

Coming very close to a complete JCVD laserdisc collection actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Jayus have none of ye heard of Netflix :) (or bittorrent)

Chucked all my vhs tapes a while ago getting ready for a house move and absolutely don't regret it - unlike when I got rid of a heap of big box PC games :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I went a bit mad recently with the VHS collecting. To be honest I wanted to cut back on spending money collecting stuff so it scratches that itch going after VHS. Most I got for free. I have about 800 in my parents attic ! I kept the ones I like out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    Any of you guys tried streaming media to your CRTs?

Trying to figure out a good solution to get 4:3 streaming content displaying correctly. (So I can watch the likes of TNG and DS9 in full screen 4:3 without being pillarboxed)

Thought the WiiU would work, but unfortunately it locks the likes of netflix to 16:9 WITH pillarboxes, so your picture is a tiny square in the middle of the screen.

Going to try a Xbox 360 next. Just remembered they do RGB scart out and if I remember correctly, you can adjust the video to fit a 4:3 screen.

Original XBOX with XBMC should do it, can stream from a network share or DLNA like Plex. You'd need to have transcode everything to MPEG4/XVID or let Plex do it on the fly but would be a nice experiment anyway.

Master of the Universe

Check this out, some lad did that thing we were discussing ages ago where he used a videowall processor (which splits one image across multiple CRTs) in conjuction with an N64, to give everyone in a four player game their own tv.

Bit blurry, but interesting to see nonetheless!

Mario-kart.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/gl5qry/4player_4monitor_mariokart_64/

Tried to do that with my PVMs but wasn't worth the effort really in the end.

We used to do that with bits of cardboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Just a random video I found funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

finally got this 9inch Kortek monitor fixed and back running. Full recap and, missing parts, cold solder joints and a vertical collapse...and some shorted pins on one of the IC due to some unnamed Frenchman shoddy soldering work when replacing the Vertical deflection IC .
    All back up and running now though. Been struggling with this one for weeks.
    There's something immensely satisfying about getting these things to run again

98851684_10158377484303276_7223868252928081920_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=RcRtSH5tN9UAX-ezb2J&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=7b64c80012859394f49d765855faeac2&oe=5EEE298D

Advertisement