Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel framed homes and noise levels

Options
  • 17-11-2018 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in a steel framed house at the moment. It has 3 floors and is an end of terrace house built in 2005.
    When I went to view the house it was during the day and there were no neighbours about so the house seemed quiet enough.
    My parents have a timber framed semi detached house so I know how much bass can travel through the walls.
    Can anyone share their experiences of living in a steel framed house?
    I do like my surround sound system and bass and want to know how much of an annoyance this could be without soundproofing and vice versa if they have noisy kids or have their own sound systems.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Very similar to timber frame in my experience.
    I’ve lived in timber frame terrace for 10 years and currently in semi d built from block and the noise level difference are on par.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

It's really going to depend on the material and insulation in the floors and the separating wall more than the material the framing is made from, and that will vary significantly from building to building. There's really no way to know for sure without actually testing it yourself to see how audible your system is from the unit next door.

Advertisement