Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidental mortgage overpayment

• 17-11-2018 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I did similar over summer. Had to write a letter explaining it was an error etc and then scan/photo send it to the mortgage depot email. Was back in correct account next day.

Aib phone weren't much help, mortgage depot directly were much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

andl21 wrote: »
    I have a fixed rate mortgage with aib and while trying to move a significant sum of money from my current account to my savings I managed to send it to my mortgage account. What are the chances I will get this money back. Phone support not much help told to visit branch on Monday. Any advice
    Thanks
    You will get it back. You made a mistake.

It’s your money. If they keep it. They would be stealing it. Not like the banks to steal money in regards to mortgage. Hmmmm then again.

Just keep hounding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 andl21

• Registered Users Posts: 3 andl21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, if it was a variable rate mortgage then it might have been applied to the capital and getting the payment reversed might have been a bit complicated. But most bank don't allow one-off payments against the capital while the rate is fixed so your money is probably parked in a financial lay-by and I'd be fairly certain that they will transfer it back to you no problem.

In fairness, this not something that a phone jockey can fix so while i can understand that you were in a mild panic, phoning them at the weekend was pretty much a waste of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement