Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many units of alcohol a week do you drink?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Practice makes perfect! ;)

Oh believe me I practiced it enough in my younger days, in my 40's now and just couldn't deal with that :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

GoneHome wrote: »
    Oh believe me I practiced it enough in my younger days, in my 40's now and just couldn't deal with that :P

Closing in on 40's and I feel your pain!

Was only talking to a mate the other day about how we used to go out Thursday night, early to the pub, followed by a club, then home on a bad night or someone else's home on a good night. Up at 6 to catch the train. Quick vomit in the jacks at work and a greasy burger and all was well again. Even the idea of it makes me sick now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

None, I don't drink at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I got back from a week in the Canaries on Wednesday last week. I dread to think how many units I got through. Was drinking pints of Tropical for 2.50 per pint, a very decent local lager, followed by Jagermeisters with Red Bull. My God, the size of the shots over there!!!!!!! They just picked up the bottle and poured and poured and poured........

Bought a litre bottle of Jager in the Spar in Playa del Ingles for €14.99 and brought it home, planning to save it for Christmas. Lashed into it on Saturday night though, and now seriously regret not getting two bottles.

Started back to work this morning and still feel slightly less than 100% (probably about 50% tbh). Think I might be OK by the end of the week, by which time it will be Jager-time again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

I got back from a week in the Canaries on Wednesday last week. I dread to think how many units I got through. Was drinking pints of Tropical for 2.50 per pint, a very decent local lager, followed by Jagermeisters with Red Bull. My God, the size of the shots over there!!!!!!! They just picked up the bottle and poured and poured and poured........

Bought a litre bottle of Jager in the Spar in Playa del Ingles for €14.99 and brought it home, planning to save it for Christmas. Lashed into it on Saturday night though, and now seriously regret not getting two bottles.

Started back to work this morning and still feel slightly less than 100% (probably about 50% tbh). Think I might be OK by the end of the week, by which time it will be Jager-time again :D
    you sound like someone who knows how to enjoy themselves...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The boss never knew I drank until one day I went in sober. "Right" says he " no more driving school buses for you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Was on the tear in cork last weekend and probably had about 70-80 units over the three nights. Planning to stay under 5 a week now until Christmas/new years, and maybe do a dry January then.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

You are all great and fxxx the begrudgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

normally only drink when I go out on the piss - once every 6-8 weeks or so .
    Prob do 30-40 units in the night.

then prob not drink till next session

paw patrol wrote: »
    normally only drink when I go out on the piss - once every 6-8 weeks or so .

Similar in a way here, had a good lash of it last night at a mate's 50th party but normally just have a handy 3 or 4 pints on a Saturday night in the local

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'm wondering how many of you are still alive and still drinking?
    I really haven't moderated. Still around 30 units

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The alcoholics won't be dialing it back just because they've read a boards thread.

What's a unit, a pint? If so about 10 units over a weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭pale rider

I have two friends, one a publican, they both drink 26 kegs a year, about 5 pints a night year round, one is a heart attack waiting to happen, the other is fit as a flea with no weight...I couldn't do it myself...

pale rider wrote: »
    I have two friends, one a publican, they both drink 26 kegs a year, about 5 pints a night year round, one is a heart attack waiting to happen, the other is fit as a flea with no weight...I couldn't do it myself...

That's it, I always say it depends on the person, alcohol effects people very differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

That's it, I always say it depends on the person, alcohol effects people very differently

5 pints per day isn't really dependent on the person! Things aren't going to end well.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    5 pints per day isn't really dependent on the person! Things aren't going to end well.

That's true, that won't end well

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I normally drink none, but next weekend I will drink infinity units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sadly on old work colleague died last week, chronic alcoholic. Look after yourselves folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Sounds like fun though.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It is though. Even some chronic alcoholics don't end up with health problems directly caused by alcohol. Most don't even get liver disease (I think it's something like a quarter do). That said, given that no one knows how it will effect them personally, I wouldn't be risking it by drinking that much every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Some weeks nothing at all, others I'll buy one bottle of wine that will last me a few nights. Or else one or two cans of beer... like tonight. Enjoying a Murphy's as I type this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭pale rider

They both are dependent, the skinny guys calls the pints sleeping tablets and reckons he needs them to get to sleep, never mind all that tho they are spending a fortune and getting nothing back. They both drive crap cars as well...from the noughties...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It is though. Even some chronic alcoholics don't end up with health problems directly caused by alcohol. Most don't even get liver disease (I think it's something like a quarter do). That said, given that no one knows how it will effect them personally, I wouldn't be risking it by drinking that much every day!

Even if you dont necessarily get liver disease drinking that amount of alcohol will weaken everybodys arteries and heart(because for instance, alcohol naturally increases everybodys blood pressure at least a bit) and increase risk of certain cancers. So they may not die of it but theyre at the very least less healthy than they would be without it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

6-8 units.
    Rarely more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I’d say it depends on how much is eaten. A “fast metabolism” can’t hide 1000 kcal a day.

Depends on the person. Some people can eat anything they like and not put on an ounce. Genetics play a role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

What's a unit, a pint? If so about 10 units over a weekend

About 2 units in a pint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Truckermal wrote: »
    I normally have have 3 pints every evening so probably a bit over average!

What a change! My local pub closed after that so I gave up the drink including at home, great decision I am in better health and feel great too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Truckermal wrote:
    What a change! My local pub closed after that so I gave up the drink including at home, great decision I am in better health and feel great too!

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it

Cheers! :D I can still go for a few pints if I want but it's all a habit like smoking! The Bargain Alert thread was a killer as the drink was so cheap combined with money off Vouchers you ended up buying more and more and drinking more!

I don't work a lot during the winter so some night's you could drink 8 cans no bother along with a load of crisps...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I drink about 6- 7 pints three nights a week. I find it harder to do physical work these days as a consequence. Three years ago I decided to give up alcohol for six months, I definitely felt better overall during those six months, then a couple of months later i was invited to a party and started drinking again. I know that if i continue with this level of consumption there will likely be a hefty price to pay sooner or later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

wakka12 wrote:
    Even if you dont necessarily get liver disease drinking that amount of alcohol will weaken everybodys arteries and heart(because for instance, alcohol naturally increases everybodys blood pressure at least a bit) and increase risk of certain cancers. So they may not die of it but theyre at the very least less healthy than they would be without it

There's not an organ in the body that's not adversely affected by too much alcohol.
    The brain,the stomach,the liver,the kidneys,the heart,the skin and the penis.

Ever heard of brewers droop?
    Wet brain?
    Depression and anxiety caused by drinking?
    Ever see an alcoholic with good skin?

Alcoholism is chronic,meaning it increases as the years go by..somebody drinking 6 cans a day in thier 20s can easily end up drinking whiskey for breakfast in thier 40s..I've seen it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Had to do a few sums to answer the OP...
    it comes to about 18 units, pretty regular: red wine either 1 glass or occasionally 2, a gin-and-tonic on a Sunday, some days no alcohol.
    Say 18 to 20, per week.

My mother who is 90 just loves a glass of red with her lunch. (not every day)
    My MIL who died at 97, enjoyed her red wine, most days, in moderation, including her 97th birthday party, with some dark chocolate.

I'm hoping to equal that score.

There's not an organ in the body that's not adversely affected by too much alcohol.

Ever heard of brewers droop?
    Wet brain?
    Depression and anxiety caused by drinking?
    Ever see an alcoholic with good skin?

Alcoholism is chronic,meaning it increases as the years go by..somebody drinking 6 cans a day in thier 20s can easily end up drinking whiskey for breakfast in thier 40s..I've seen it happen.

To balance all of the above: drinking is good fun :D

How does alcohol effect your penis? Do you mean that for some people it's hard to get and maintain an erection due to consuming too much alcohol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

How does alcohol effect your penis? Do you mean that for some people it's hard to get and maintain an erection due to consuming too much alcohol?

And for others it's hard to get rid of the damn thing. The morning after horn can be a savage beast;)

Don't drink anything like as much as I used to, but still probably too much all things considered, typically from 20 to 30 per week I'd say.

To balance all of the above: drinking is good fun :D

It is that Ragnar!

I can never understand the people who say, "I drink, but I don't like being drunk" What the hell is the point of taking any drug if it's not to experience the effects?

It is that Ragnar!

I can never understand the people who say, "I drink, but I don't like being drunk" What the hell is the point of taking any drug if it's not to experience the effects?

Maybe some people just like the feeling of being relaxed after having a couple of pints but not the feeling of being quite drunk and the morning after effects that go with it.
    I wish i was more like the social drinker, enjoy two or three pints a week and be done with it, but i enjoy being tipsy too much.

Maybe some people just like the feeling of being relaxed after having a couple of pints but not the feeling of being quite drunk and the morning after effects that go with it.
    I wish i was more like the social drinker, enjoy two or three pints a week and be done with it, but i enjoy being tipsy too much.

That's probably been my downfall - I've never had a hangover. If I had suffered for my excess I probably wouldn't have indulged quite as much as I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ceadaoin. wrote: »

It's actually quite difficult to drink a healthy liver to death, you won't do it on 4% lager.

Pintmen die from strokes and heart attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Basically whatever is bad for the heart is bad for the love truncheon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It's actually quite difficult to drink a healthy liver to death, you won't do it on 4% lager.

Something to look forward to in the future.

To the pub!

Challenge accepted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Zero, much to the delight of society and myself.

It became unmanageable, I admitted I couldn't fix it on my own after countless years of failed attempts.

Reached out for help. Recovered.

Nothing against anyone else's consumption, it just doesn't mix well with this individual.

Nothing against anyone else's consumption, it just doesn't mix well with this individual.

This is the crux of the matter (apart from health concerns). Certain people just do not mix well with alcohol, it can change their personality dramatically, lead to violent outbursts, depression, etc. These people should do their best to steer clear of it.

Fortunately, I am one of the lucky ones who can enjoy drinking without undergoing any massive change to the way I act. I would be a little more outgoing with drink taken, but that's not a bad thing as I'm usually quite reserved.

The opposite no? 6 cans a night is the same amount of alcohol as a half bottle of vodka. People would be more taken aback by the vodka but the liver is doing as much work for each.

Advertisement